Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Steering box

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
well, now that I cleaned up the engine compartment and finally have everything back together I now noticed a greasy spot on the frame rail below the steering box. I HAD cleaned there so I'm sure this is new. I ran my hand along the underside of the box and it came out somewhat oily. Not a lot, but enough to glisten my hand.
I figure the steering box needs looking at.

Is this a job that can be done at home and most importantly by an idiot like me, or is this like trailing arms that are best sent out?

also, I've never opened up the steering box myself yet, but is it supposed to be filled with oil or packed with grease? When I bought the car I was told it was suppose be be grease but the previous owner had oil in it so I should have it drained and repacked with grease but than a mechanic I had used at one point told me there WAS grease in it. I haven't seen for myself either way yet.

Barry,

I just had mine rebuild by Bair's. I also though about doing it myself but figured the steering is something I wanted done professionally. From what I've read, the adjustments are critical and if not done properly, could cause premature wear and result in a much more expensive rebuild later. Bair's did a great job on mine and was very reasonable.

According to my 67 shop manual, "The manual steering gear is filled at the factory with a water resistant grease. Whenever required, additions should be made using a water resistant EP chassis lubricant."

Mike

I think that they were originally filled with gear oil. They tend to seep a lot because they are near the exhaust. Heats up and thins the oil and compromises the seal so the accepted thing today is to pump them full of grease. My box was low [empty?] so I made up a grease fitting that I can screw into the filler and pumped it full of synthetic chassis grease. Leave some air space. No probs after a couple of years.

Barry,
Turkey-baster with 3/4 lithium chassis lube and 1/4 Mobil 1 will do the job. Pre-mixed. It leaks a bit for about 500 miles and then lasts forever.

Chassis lube and Chassis lube only. The seal at the shaft is replaceable.

OH MY GOD !!!!!

Here we go again !!! My guess is Barry' s already got this thing out of the car and on the garage floor.

Barry, you know I'm there for you, but I'll bet you will know more about a C-2 steering box by the time I can drive there than I will ever know !!

Bernie O.

alright, i guess the first thing is I need to actually open it up and see for myself what is inside. If it's oil than that could be the problem, if it's grease than maybe it's as simple as the seal.
The steering SEEMS to feel ok but honestly I have nothing to compare it against as this is the only C2 i've ever driven.

Bernie, that's funny! nope, i haven't touched it yet. You should know me by now that i'm going to ask a million questions and try to get a basic understanding and a feeling of what I'm doing or a game plan of what to do before I ever touch the thing.

Barry: Misery loves company. I'll bet more than one cold one that you stuck the car up in the air on jack stands on the side rails and let the front end hang down with the tires on it. Mine did the same thing. Oil soaked pitman arm. A real bumber. If you raise the car with a floor jack under the front end cross member between the a-arms you will notice the steering cross arm going down as the tires come off the ground placing the load on the pitman arm. If yours doesn't do it, then there is something bad wrong with mine. What do you figure, take the steering linkage apart and off. I don't see how that much force by weight on the steering box's lower bearing would do anything but lunch it. I sure wish I wouldn't have done what I did. Do you plan on knocking the steering ball joints apart with a pickel fork or is there a better way? You seem to have great luck having at it and it works when you get it back together. I think I'd better let you go first. I trust you. Let us know how it goes. Easy does it -- Rollin

Do yourself a favor

Barry, when I want Pizza, I go to a Pizza parlor, when I need Chicken, I go to a Chicken place, when you need safe, steering component work done, you send your parts to Corvette Steering Service http://www.corvettesteering.com/, and speak to Tom Reina. Tell him " Frenchy " from Quebec sent you, and exactly what you expect of him, and you will not be disappointed with Tom's work, nor the quality of his service.

There are hundreds of ways to learn, and save money on rebuild's and resto jobs, but the parts involved in pointing the way for your beautiful Corvette, might not turn out to be the best place for a savings.

Keep well
Stepinwolf

P.S. Have you had the chance to speak to the cousin yet .;)

Rollin, yes, I've had it up on jackstands and always put the stands on the siderails but I never leave it up long, usually never more than 2-3 days absolute max.

Bob, thanks for the link, when I'm ready i'll contact Tom. I appreciate the recommendation.
Actually, I just sent my cousin an email the other day, I think it was Wed.,but haven't heard back from him yet.

Barry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom