Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C3 Brake light switch again

ARW

Corvette

Was the original brake light switch #3954246 100% plastic like the replacements? I can't remember for sure, but I thought it was cast metal.

After about 5 new switches in 33 years it occurs to me something could be wrong. I adjust it to make contact with very little pedal travel. Could that be ruining switches? Connectors are tight, ground on frame is clean. Jiggling it seems to fix for a few days, then no lights again. Anyone have a recommendation for conductive grease to put on connectors, or would that help? I'm sure this car doesn't get driven enough.

I ALWAYS put electrical grease on my connections!!!!
I have my brake lite switch adjusted so when the pedal starts to move away from where it lives,the lite is activated!

They are sealed up - so hard to say. Just fails to complete the circuit. The only one I autopsied didn't look bad inside, but it still didn't work everytime. Nothing broken or burned. Looked like it was designed for 2 sets of points (like old ignition points) , but only had one set installed. IF either connector tab get moved outside the switch, the points inside could mis-align, but it would have to be way off to cause it to fail. Unlikely as it seems, its as if sometimes the points make contact but juice doesn't flow. I'd like to blame something other than the switch. Do you know whether the factory installed switch was all plastic construction ?

I'd love to help, but most of my time is spent mashing the gas pedal and not the brake. I'm not familiar with what the brake pedal really does. ;shrug
;LOL

Thanks for the info. I've always had it more like 3/16". I'll try 1/2" with the new switch.

Thanks for the info. I've always had it more like 3/16". I'll try 1/2" with the new switch.

The spec I posted is for a midyear - if the C3 is different, it'll be shown in UPC 12 in the Assembly Manual on the sheet that shows the brake light switch installation. :thumb

1969 AIM shows .26-.64 inches of travel (1/2" to 5/8"). Measured at the bottom of the pedal. (1969 UPC 12/B8). I'd think a 1971 is the same...

I'm wondering if the original looked like this photo:

http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!BcoY+C!!2k~$(KGrHqUOKjkEq5UJorjkBK1SrQZ3cg~~_12.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom