Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Clock Question

twamd80driver

Corvette
1976 L-82 4-Speed
Should I have my clock rebuilt to original, or go quartz? Also any reccomendations on who to do the work?

Thanks,

Chris

twamd80driver said:
Should I have my clock rebuilt to original, or go quartz? Also any reccomendations on who to do the work?

Thanks,

Chris

I would take the clock out and see what the problem is. On my '76, the points were stuck together. Sprayed everything, including gears, with TV Tuner cleaner, used a point file on the points, and it has been dead nuts on since. That was 5+ years ago.

Hey Chris,
I did the Quartz fix to mine, works fine. Kit was $65 or so and I had it done when doing repairs on my speedo at a local speedometer shop.

Gary

Chris,

I had my clock on my 80 rebuilt to original specifications about 4 years ago. I cant recall the company name but it was a smaller shop in Michigan. Do a Google search and type in 'Corvette clock repair'. This will let you shop around and get several prices. I spent in the $50 range for mine four years ago.

Good Luck,

Mark

i would think the real answer to that question is to first determine what it is that you really want. are you doing an NCRS type resotration, or is this for your daily driver?? quartz conversion will give you reliablilty that is unequaled by an electric clock. fewer things to go wrong with it. they conversion kits are about $65.00 now and if you have a little bit of mechanical ability you can do it yourself in about 2 hours or less. i do however agree that you should remove the current clock and find the problem. it could be something really simple to repair on your own. i once had a dash clock that had a little "fusable link" type connection on the back that had burned through. i figured that at that point i had nothing to lose, so i took a single strand of wire and looped it between the two connection points and put it back in the dash. it was still working when i sold the car 6 years later, so you never know

I'm going to have to agree with SRS. What are you looking for to get out of this Corvette? With it being the L-82 and 4 speed it could be worth fixing the original clock. That is only if the car is stock everywhere else too. On the other hand, if you plan on changing things to the car and making it your own, then a quartz clock is the way to go. So again, it is simply what you want to get out of the car.

gary55r said:
Hey Chris,
I did the Quartz fix to mine, works fine. Kit was $65 or so and I had it done when doing repairs on my speedo at a local speedometer shop.

Gary

Chris,

Gary's correct regarding conversion to Quartz and price. However, I did the conversion myself in about 45 minutes. It was easy and the clock actually works (for how long is unknown.....that's why I wear a watch)!

I am Bubba-Tech!

does what time it is really make a difference as long as you are in your Corvette?

Lucky 3 said:
does what time it is really make a difference as long as you are in your Corvette?

Well said! I go with the long tired "at least its right twice a day" and a wrist watch--the smiles never stop.

Clock repair

Hi Chris! I too was recently faced with the decision you are grappeling with. My decision was made during a heater core removal and replacement. It was essentially a "while-I-am-at-it" situation. While I had the dash out, I decided to remove and send my long-time non-functioning clock to Corvette Central for repair. I was up to my eyeballs in work regarding the heater core and didn't want to mess with the clock - BUT - I wanted a functioning clock reinstalled in the bezel before I buttoned up the dash again. About four weeks and $120.00 later, a reinstalled quartz conversion clock works flawlessly. I made the quartz conversion decision on a "just cuz" basis. It was only about $5 more than the "standard" movement. I really didn't care about the technicalities of it all - just wanted a working clock.

BTW - "While-I-was-at-it" I ordered and installed a Blaupunkt MP34 CD player along with the custom center bezel (both came as a package). Guages and player fit the bezel perfectly and bezel reinstalled in the dash perfectly - mine is a 72 coupe. MY GOD!!! The sound is awsome. No amp necessary with this application - just good speakers which I already installed a few years back. Now I can die happy. New clock and new CD. I am at peace with the world especially seeing as how the #&** heater core job is done!

Larry Langley

PEP127 said:
I found a very good site on clock repair if you want to do it yourself..I did and I have probems with everything :confused

http://members.aol.com/jjneyjr/clock/grepair1.htm..

that site is worth bookmarking to be shared again. it was really nice work on the part of the author, even down to the addition of the section on re-timing the clock after repair. thanks for sharing that, pep127!!

Very good page on clock repair ... I bookmarked it too. Thanks PEP127! Wish we knew how to thank the author?
JACK:gap

Had my clock overhauled by D & B in Carolina, had it back in 3 days! Perfect, and only $90.00! Mike is great...tell him Chris from Cleveland sent you!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom