Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: c3 electric fan not working

Melrose Mike

Corvette
1980 red over white coupe
Hi Guys

Need a little help. The electric fan never comes on no matter how hot the engine gets. I know the fan works if i put power right to the fan so I'm thinking some sensor is the problem but where to look. Any help would be good. Thanks

Hi!

You'll need to double check this, but if I remember correctly the sensor is located in the passenger side head.

I think there is also a relay in the system. You should check both of those if you believe the fan is working properly.

Do you have an assembly manual? If not, that would help out a lot in terms of understanding where the sensors are located and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct between the for last and last cylinder. Maybe check the fuse.

Greetings Peter

Auxiliary Fan

Hi Guys

Need a little help. The electric fan never comes on no matter how hot the engine gets. I know the fan works if i put power right to the fan so I'm thinking some sensor is the problem but where to look. Any help would be good. Thanks

The OFF/ON switch for the auxiliary fan is located between #6 and #8 cylinders on the passenger side head just below the exhaust manifold. The coolant temperature has to reach about 228 degrees to turn the fan on so unless your coolant gets that hot it'll never turn on. In the 28 years I have owned my '82 I have only heard it turn on once and that was right after I shut it off on a 113 degree day with the A/C on. I had popped the hood open and about 30 seconds after shutting my engine off the fan roared to life for about 10 seconds before shutting off again. If you live in a cooler area chances are it has never turned on.

Thanks for all your help. At least I will have someplace to start looking Melrose Mike :w

Thanks for all your help. At least I will have someplace to start looking Melrose Mike :w

As I said earlier, your coolant has to get REAL hot (228 degrees) before your auxiliary fan turns on. It's only there as a "last ditch" effort to prevent overheating which means it'll most likely never turn on in normal use. Of the two wires that go to the switch one is constantly HOT and the other goes to the fan. So it would be easy to install a manual switch so you could turn it on whenever you wanted.

As I said earlier, your coolant has to get REAL hot (228 degrees) before your auxiliary fan turns on. It's only there as a "last ditch" effort to prevent overheating which means it'll most likely never turn on in normal use. Of the two wires that go to the switch one is constantly HOT and the other goes to the fan. So it would be easy to install a manual switch so you could turn it on whenever you wanted.

Since the OP hasn't said how hot the coolant is getting to lets just assume it should be for now.
Also the switch is connected to ground not hot.

On the late model C3's with the factory auxillary cooling fan, does the fan kick on and run when the A/C turned on?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom