Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Fastback to Vertical Glass

tscott8201

Corvette
1978 SA C3
Does anyone know what would involved in converting a 1978 fast back C3 to the earlier vertical rear window? I've been told the rear area of the birdcage didn't change over the run of the C3.

Tom

Welcome to CAC!!!

Since the style of the windows are different,I would
think that if you were to change the rear window to an earlier style,
you have major body work to the rest of the rear body look like an earlier design.

It is not impossible. It all depends on what you want to spend. You need to find a rear deck lid similar to the one in the link below or get a rear clip from a 1974 - 1977 Corvette. I had a problem finding a deck lid for a 1974-1977 for a T-top car.
C3 Corvette 1968-1973 ACI Fiberglass Rear Upper Deck - Coupe | Modern Gen Auto.

The way I would approach this is to get a 1977 Corvette rear clip. That way you have all the parts and hardware you need and you will not have to deal with the vents on the rear deck lid. Unless you want the vents. Then a 1974 - 1976 rear clip will work. You will need to make sure that you have the correct gas tank to match the gas tank hole in the deck. Again with a rear clip you get all those parts. But, they are all used and maybe not in great shape.

I did this with my 1977 T-Top Corvette but, making it a convertible.​

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I should probably explain that I'm already in the process of replacing the entire birdcage assembly. My thought was if I already had the rear clip off, then I could easily swap over to a different style rear clip. I'm still in the process of removing all the panels from the cage so we'll see how well all the existing parts fair. I'm going to start a separate thread for the swap of the birdcage.

Tom

I think it would be a lot of work but you are already in deep with the birdcage replacement. You might consider incorporating the rear window from a '68-'72 so you would have a removable back glass.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom