Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 Radio Removal Help Needed!!!!!!!

twamd80driver

Corvette
1976 L-82 4-Speed
Hello, I need some help removing my radio from my 1976. I have removed the A/C vents, removed all the screws around the trim, removed the clock knob, and removed the nuts from the radio shafts, but I cant get that trim to even wiggle. My 76 Service manual fails to address radio removal. Can someone PLEASE help?!!!! Thanks!

Tthere are two studs that fit down in the front of the console, the nuts are under the console, they are 11/32 are close to that. They are hard to get to and the console can be broken easy. Also you will have to remove the side panels. The top of the console has one screw in the middle going into the dash pad, mark this screw so you can replace it in the same hole otherwise if it is to long it could go throught thr dash pad

Tip use plastic zip lock bags for screws and mark them as to where the screws came from makes it easy to reassemble.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Do I need to remove the center console, or do I just remove the top wood trim insert to get to these two studs? I removed the two side panels and I can see the radio.

So far I have:

1- removed the 5 screws that hold the ac vent in place.

2- removed the 4 screws that go along the sides.

3- removed the clock knob.

4- removed the two nuts on the radio shaft.

What else do I need to do to access those nuts? Will the panel then loosen and pull out? Do I need to remove the center console?

Thanks a lot!

If you take the plate off from around the shifter you might can reach them from there being 6'4" my hands are large so it wasn't easy for me but can be done. The console wount come out till you remove those nuts anyway so you dont have to bother trying to take it out. Also the radio has a support piece on the right side that goes to the hump in the floor. It is verry tight in there so once you get the nuts off take the top and gentle bring it out and up at the same time Also be careful because the gauges are attached to back of the console if you have to take the connectors off the gauges lable them with masking tape so you know how to connect them back this is recommended because taking the gauge bezel off it is a pain to put back together. if current radio is origonal box and keep it. If you plan to put a cd player in I suggest buying a gauge console bezel they make already cut out for a cd player they cost about 210.00 but better than butchering the the origional bezel.

I think if you remove the right side of the dash (pretty easy to do), then the forward little piece of the console (1 screw), on the right side - you should be able to get in there to start removing the radio. If you want to remove the center cluster, you need to remove the lower nuts, inside the console, under the radio (if still there) as well as the upper screws by the wiper switch too. It's been awhile - just take your time and remember where things go back. If you can do that - you've got it made - I'm usually looking at a few extra screws now and then.

Go for it !

:_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom