Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 tires

fleetline

I'm sure this has been beaten to death.

I've not had a Vette before, this is my first ('78 Anniversary car). I've build up a number of '40's - '50's street rods over the last 35 years.

Getting harder to do (old body syndrome:cry), and I just moved and have less space ('55 up community). Long in the tooth, as they say.

Just took wifie and I to a relative's picnic. First ride since registering the car.

Aside from the AC blowing warm air, all else is pretty much OK. But the ride is a tad harsh, and I can hear the big meat tires inside the car with the windows rolled up. They're white letter 255/60R15's. Look great, don't scrub, and hold air fine.

Might a smaller tire ride a bit better and make less noise? Or is the nature of C3's and back just to behave this way?

Considering perhaps a 225/70.

Opinions?

Tom in NJ

tire size won't matter. I have a set of GoodYear Eagle GT IIs, I can hear them but not loud(to me). I also have a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, can't hear the tire at all, handles a little better also. tire sizes I run are 255/60s and 275/60s.

Both 255/60R15 and 225/70R15 were stock tires sizes in 1978.

I would say if your interest in the car is just normal driving and you're not an aggressive driver and the car has base suspension, I'd go with the 225s. On the other hand, if you're a "sporting driver" or the car came with the performance suspension (which usually also comes with 255/60s) I'd stick with the larger size.

As for your existing tires being noisy, that might be because they're old. If the tires have been on the car more than five years, I'd buy new ones.

Tire compounds being equal, I'd say the 225's will have less road noise due to less contact patch on the road. Do you require white letter radials?
As far as "what is their nature" with regards to road noise? Completely subjective. You'll have to catch a ride in some others and see! :)

For your AC blowing warm? No surprise there, especially if the system was never serviced/maintained. As you've had experience with older cars, you probably know it could potentially get costly to fix the R12 system. Doing a full system switch to a R134 could be just as costly.
If I need AC, I put the windows down. If I need Max AC, I take off the T-tops, :L (No, it's not very comfortable at times...but hey, I'm still kinda-sorta young and thus still kinda-sorta tolerant. :D)

What brand tire is on your car now? I am needing some new rubber soon and I do not want noisy tires. thanks for sharing.
aaron1

What brand tire is on your car now? I am needing some new rubber soon and I do not want noisy tires. thanks for sharing.
aaron1
Aaron, given that the thread was over a month old when you replied, who was your reply directed towards? To me, it wasn't clear.

It's an old thread now, but as of today, the only tires I can find to fit our stock rims are BF Goodrich Radial TA's. The Firestones are no longer made. Also, tire pressure determines contact patch area not tire size. A wider tire will just have a wider patch and a narrower tire will have a longer patch. That's from Car & Driver mag, not me.

It's an old thread now, but as of today, the only tires I can find to fit our stock rims are BF Goodrich Radial TA's. The Firestones are no longer made. Also, tire pressure determines contact patch area not tire size. A wider tire will just have a wider patch and a narrower tire will have a longer patch. That's from Car & Driver mag, not me.
I just looked on TireRack and there's still a few different tires that fit the stock rims. Unless you require White Letters...then it gets to be slim pickings. Anything from a 225 - 255x60x15 will fit. Although the 255's up front may pose a problem. If want to be able to rotate among all 4 corners, stick with a 245 or smaller.

I'm not fully onboard with what you say C&D magazine stated, but that's neither here nor there. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom