Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C3 wobbly rear view mirror

Corvette
76 Coupe
My 76 rear view mirror wobbles on the ball thing going into the back of it. I know this was discussed a few years back but I can't find the thread. It spoke of soaking the mirror so the glass would fall out, then you do something to the stud ? Anybody remember this or had to fix it. No money for replacement so I need to fix it or bubba it or something. It is so loose now it flops down when you close the door. I have tried putting glues and junk on the exposed part of the ball, but never lasts more than a week.. somehow that ball pivot thing needs to be tightened to the head. Also, can I buff that mirror housing with something to make it shine better. there are millions of very tiny pits in it and it doesn't respond to any kind of normal wax or polish. Help please.

Well I fix it myself....Found a thread finally. soaked the entire mirror head in lacquer thinner overnight and the glass just dropped out. The rivets had worked out a little on the friction strap, so tapped them back in with a punch. Used black silicone adhesive sealer to glue mirror back in. Polished with buffer attachment on drill with tripoli compound and then white rouge. Looks a lot better and the mirror is 100% stable.

:upthumbs Curtis,

I did a quick search last night and didn't find anything. I planned to do a bit more searching today, but got busy and forgot :W

Glad you found what you needed and got the mirror fixed, and reported back on HOW you did it :upthumbs

Bud

Thanks for your concern Bud. For a while there I thought I was on my own. Just wasn't using the right words to search earlier.:)

Bud..
Can you put that in the 'technical upload files' so when somebody else needs it it'll be there...:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom