Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Engine Bay Cleaning Tips??

Corvette
'96 LT4 Coupe, White/Red
I have just purchased a '96 LT4 that has had the water pump replaced. The previous owner had said the water pump was leaking so he had it replaced. The dealer work order even stated that they "cleaned the area as well as possible". When I put it up on my lift there was a fair amount of oil/antifreeze built up on the front of the oil pan.

What is the best/safest way to clean the engine bay on a C4? I have been told not to simply take it to the car wash and wash it down because getting the Opti Spark wet isn't a good idea. There is limited access even from under the car so I am perplexed on the best way to clean things up.

High Pressure Washed...

...my past LT4's engine/bay twice, no problem's! :beer
LT4GrandSportMotor.jpg

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Apparently no body is listening, I'm just lurking, as I or a previous owner flooded a knock sensor located in the valley of my c5. It was suggested for me to use a 50/50 solution of Simple Green /water, spray on, let sit for about 15 min then with GENTLE water pressure , rinse off. I too watched to mush of Tim Taylor a few years ago and wanted "More Power" . SG smells nice and really does do a good job without chalking up the Al and is not extremely hard on the skin.

Before Simple Green:

P1000437.jpg

After:

P1000468.jpg

I am not a detailer in any sence of the word, but I think it looks better. I was warned about getting water where the Knock sensors are. Most people here when giving advice have been there, done that, and are drawing from past mistakes.

There are some good links out cyberspace.

Good Luck and cograts,

Andy

You should see my interior! :cool

B17Crew
:w

I used to have a touch of CDO, a lot like OCD but alphabetically correct but my kids worked me out of it.

Do you have children?:chuckle

Really, When people see how well you have taken care of her over the years, you'll be the richer for it. :_rock
Andy

I used to have a touch of CDO, a lot like OCD but alphabetically correct but my kids worked me out of it.

Do you have children?:chuckle

Really, When people see how well you have taken care of her over the years, you'll be the richer for it. :_rock
Andy

Yes I have kids, that’s why I have these dark circles under my eyes! I try to hit the engine compartment 15 minutes here, half an hour there. Those quick detailing sessions helps keep things under control.

Thanks for the compliment, I try to keep my Corvette in top condition on all levels.

B17Crew
:w

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some good suggestions! My LT4 looks very clean from the top side, but it needs some help from the bottom side . . . I think it's just going to take a lot of 15 minutes here, 30 minutes there to get it anywhere as clean as what you guys have!

I've been hosing my 95 down for years with no drama. Vented optis are robust!

DSC01321.jpg

You gotta use water when you want to keep it looking like this. Just don't aim at the opti. But once you get it clean, compressed air and an occasional wipe will increase the time between water washings.

DSC00738-1.jpg

I Steam Jenny the P*ss out of them!!!;LOL;LOL;LOLNo Kind of Chemicals!!:D:D:D
Only Killed 1 Opti,and that was with a TREE,not a Pressure Washer!!:chuckle:chuckle

:upthumbs

img_0748_small_172.jpg

attachment.php

Img14.jpg

attachment.php

Img181.jpg

Img180.jpg

Img20.gif

Img202.jpg

attachment.php

Great looking engine photos! I'm still leery about gettting ANY water near my Opti. I usually wipe my engine down with a damp rag and use wooden q-tips to reach the hard places.

Thats why Im TRYING to send my C4 to go live with Junk!
HE ain't afraid of no opti

Me, I spray on the simple green and then a light spray from the hose.
Then lots of towels.
But this engine was 9 years old before it got its first bath, so Ive got an uphill battle

One more thing. While the water pump is off, have the DI system distributor replaced also.

Great looking engine photos! I'm still leery about gettting ANY water near my Opti. I usually wipe my engine down with a damp rag and use wooden q-tips to reach the hard places.

Me too. I use Simple Green cut 60 (water) / 40 (SG) for anything greasy and then spray off with distilled water in a hand spray bottle. Once clean, they stay pretty nice just with occasional touch up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom