Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Frame Brace delayed

C2C3C4

Corvette
91 Steel Blue Coupe
I posted here this fall about a Corvette-related business that had made a prototype frame brace that would stiffen up our coupes and still allow access to the exhaust, tranny and engine bay.
Unfortunately they told me that the legal costs to insure against product liability has caused them to delay production.
They are exploring a partnership with a larger company that has deeper pockets to see if the brace could be made at a price that would be affordable to the buyer and still profitable to sell.
More later when I get any news. They have asked that their name be kept confidential for now.:upthumbs

I was under the impression there is already a company out there that made the front suspension subframe brace as well as the B-pillar (the hoop behind the occupants) brace. I believe it was R&D Engineering. At one point Mid-America sold them. These are the braces developed during the Corvette Challenge years.

Yes but this one was suppossed to be better designed so as not to lose ground clearance:beer

Hopefully, we'll hear more eventually!

Yes but this one was suppossed to be better designed so as not to lose ground clearance:beer

Hopefully, we'll hear more eventually!
How would you put something under the car and not louse ground clearance.
Have you ever looked at the flat floor no place to install any type of brace without lousing ground clearance.

Have you ever looked at the flat floor no place to install any type of brace without lousing ground clearance.

Well, Chevrolet did it on the convertible. The x-brace on mine is installed as to not lose any ground clearance and still stiffen the ride.

Well, Chevrolet did it on the convertible. The x-brace on mine is installed as to not lose any ground clearance and still stiffen the ride.

There are points underneath that are lower than the brace.
If you go over enough of a ridge the frame X brace will rub.

Glenn
:w

There are points underneath that are lower than the brace.
If you go over enough of a ridge the frame X brace will rub.

Glenn

Yeah, sure...I believe that is with any Corvette. :)

How does brace attach?Weld or bolt up?Does it mean you will have a roll cage inside as well?:ugh

It attaches with bolts to the frame. Chevy did this on the convertible models to stiffen the ride since the soft top does not provide much. They are two steel braces that cross and are bolted in the center of the cross. They are heavy though, as I found out when I changed my transmission fluid. I personally don't have a roll cage and don't intend to as I don't race my car.

I was under the impression that most people were not persnickity and would use a little common sense in understanding that one might perhaps have meant to say you would lose LESS ground clearance than the OEM convertible one or current aftermarket R&D Cross-Brace CROSS-FRAME, R-D Racing:eyerole
The scuttlebutt concerning the brace c2c3c4 spoke of was promised to be radical in design and much better than current offerings yet was very "hush-hush" with few details.
What would probably solve the annoying flexing problem in my opinion is retro fitting the c4 with a T-top instead. R&D current makers of the cross brace made a Targa Truss that is cool yet doesnt allow use of the factory tops.Targa-Truss, R-D Racing

If i put LT4 in my 84 which is 345 h.p. would i need to stiffen chassis?I am 1st time Vette owner and do not want to crack body or anything else.

Racer - no, I know people running far more HP than that with no brace and no problems.

As for the brace, mine stays nice and shiny as I draggs across just about everything! I have less clearance than a '64 Impala in the bario. (orale!) When I figure out a brace, I will post!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom