Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Front Emblem Replacement

J

jnsampson

I have a 1985 C4 Coupe that has a faded front emblem. I have purchased a replacement for it. When I looked inside the hood I noticed that the existing emblem does not have any nuts securing it to the hood. The new emblem has an inverted triangular rubber covering over the stems that would go through the holes in the hood.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I get the old emblem off without cracking the paint, and getting the new one on so that it stays secure? ;help

Thanks,

I had mine removed to have the car buffed, mine did have two nuts holding it on, but there is also some kind of double stick tape. I had the body shop that did the buff remove them. He said they are a pain in the butt to get off, mine came off without any problems. Try having a good body shop remove them.

Both of my emblems were removed/replaced about a year ago, and believe it or not, a common household hairdryer will work wonders to loosen the adhesive that holds the emblem down. Both dental floss and fishing line have also been known to work well in helping to separate them from the panel.

My replacement emblems only had the double-sided tape, no fasteners at all, and that is how they were applied to the car. They are still intact and do not budge even without fasteners. That double -sided tape is pretty strong.

I swapped emblems on my old 87, and 93... The front didn't have the sticky stuff, the rear did... Both the front and the rear were held on by (forget the name of these things) nuts that make their own threads on the stud... when you buy a new emblem, it should just have clean studs with no threads, the special nuts will make them... I haven't heard of triangle things holding down the front emblem, if you get it off, You will most likely replace it with the ones I described... Also, for the fron of the car, I would recommend buying a pack of those nuts... I lost a few of them while putting on the front emblems on both cars... The nuts are made of aluminum(as far as I know) and you can't even use a magnet to retrieve them.... I am not sure if anyone else has any better ideas than that

I have replaced bot emblems on several different C-4s. The front emblem is held on by 2 3/8 inch speed nuts. They are a common item at any auto store. The rear emblem is held on by two small (I think they are 5/32) silver fasteners.

You will need a longer extension for the front emblem, but take your time and it should be no problem.

biceps1

Thank you one and all. I guess I have to get the speed fastners. The studs that are on the front emblem are self treading it appears. The rear emblem I replaced was no problem at all. It had adhesive and two studs that were already threaded and held on by acorn nuts (that's what it looked like to me).

I can't seem to feel any nuts on the studs of the front emblem. I don't know if the original emblem had two sided adhesive or not. :duh

C4 Emblem Replacement

Thanks to everyone for their help. Got the emblem off by using dental floss. Used 3M adhesive and tar remover to get the adhesive off the finish without a problem. It's off to the store for the speed nuts. Again, thanks a million

:w

Just for info. I purchased two new emblems from a chevy dealer (they were cheaper than the vette mags). The replacement emblems are plastic and the original ones were metal. The new ones have two studs per emblem and do not come with new self threading nuts. But they do look much better.

jeepie -

Are you absolutely certain that the original nose and gas door emblems were manufactured in metal for the C4s? I have never heard of that before. I had always thought that they were manufactured in plastic right from the start.

The emblems that were put on my car about a year ago were a GM part and they are plastic. Confused. ??

The ones on my '87 were metal... I am not sure about the newer ones though... Now that I think about it, there doesn't seem to be a big problem with the emblems turning from black to silver (on the frame part of the emblem) on the newer C4's like you see on the early C4's

This Is Very Interesting...

I wonder if they were produced in metal at the beginning of C4 production, and then switched to plastic (cheaper, light weight) later on.

I wonder if anyone knows.... ??

Well, all I can tell you is that the original emblems (both) on a 1991 were metal, when they handed me the boxes with the new ones at chevy I thought they were empty and opened them to make sure I didn't get ripped.

C4 Emblem

Well, the speed nuts went on just fine. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

C4 Emblems

Ruby,

They certainly are metal. The ones I got, both front and rear, are metal. The rear one had adhesive as well as threaded posts. The front one just had the non threaded posts that the speed nuts self threaded going on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom