Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Headers

W

wro87

I have an extra 89" L98 engine that has had the heads all pourted/polished out alot. The intake has been reworked and now the top end looks good. Does any one have any suggestions as to the best headers to hook up with. Looking at long tubes and removing the cats and just some very low restriction mufflers. I would be open to suggestions/comments. Thanks gang

The best headers you would want are TPIS Ceramic Coated Headers because they are long tube and also include the Y-pipe. The only thing is that these do not have the emissions hook ups. You can find these at Corvette Central Online. Your other option is Hooker Super comp headers that are also ceramic coated. They have emissions hook ups, but don't come with a Y-pipe so you would have to buy that also. I know Summit has them for like $500 something if you want to just run a true dual exhuast. Summit also has a set of Hedman ceramic coated both with or without the emissions hook ups. I'm sure you know already, but from what I have read ceramic coated is the way to go for keeping underhood temperatures down. Either way you are going to spead a lot of $$$ LOL. That is just my $.02. Other members will also be able to help you if you have any more questions. Also, if you haven't already try a search on headers in the C4 forum. Hope this helps.

Paulie pretty much nailed that right on the head. You must not be in the Cook County area if you're removing the cat. If you want to stay emmisions legal, you can get a hi-flo cat from Summit or Jegs for $100-$125.

Sounds like a pretty motor. Good luck

c4 headers

Thanks for the note guys, O yea don't forget the gals out there too. I have been looking at the ceramic coated stuff and have thought of having a steel set coated. I am going to run duals and have a set of real low restriction mufflers even thought about some meggaphones for tips but might be a little too loud for town:D . I am bypassing most of the emmisions and will need a good guy/gal that can set up a prom. Can anyone point to someone GOOD?

WRO

wro87 said:
Thanks for the note guys, O yea don't forget the gals out there too. I have been looking at the ceramic coated stuff and have thought of having a steel set coated. I am going to run duals and have a set of real low restriction mufflers even thought about some meggaphones for tips but might be a little too loud for town:D . I am bypassing most of the emmisions and will need a good guy/gal that can set up a prom. Can anyone point to someone GOOD?

WRO

PCM for Less and Carolina Auto Masters are the two tuners that pop into my mind.

I use PCM for LESS, however, I have heard great things about Jeff Creech.

Mike

WRO...Let me know who you use. I am up here in Wisconsin and would like to put some new...less restrictive headers on. I upgraded my system with an 86 Magnaflow from the CAT Back. Now I want to do someting up front. IL is a shorter drive for me to go.

headers again

Striker 85 said:
WRO...Let me know who you use. I am up here in Wisconsin and would like to put some new...less restrictive headers on. I upgraded my system with an 86 Magnaflow from the CAT Back. Now I want to do someting up front. IL is a shorter drive for me to go.

No problem! :) I have been doing more research and thanks to the CAC and a note back from Advance Automotive Repair (CAC sponsor):cool I am leaning towards ceramic coated (long tube) am I now looking to see where the best price is now. I will be going over to Mid America's Swapfest (another Sponsor):cool to see if any spectaclur deals there tomorrow (its not that far from home). I will drop you a line to let you know what we come up with. Just trying to get ready for this driving season and FUN!:lou WRO

For L-98's with no emission requirements, the tried and true Hooker 2151-1 is what I recommend. 1-3/4" primaries with no emission tubes and no EGR tube to clutter things up. I use them on both L98's and LT1's. They're already ceramic coated, too. Ask Legion21 how he likes his!

I'm very happy with my Hooker Headers. The performance difference with very noticeable. No "I think that I feel a difference?" kind of reaction.

Greg

I like the TPiS setup. good fit and less fight.

here are some pics from my install

mine are used. bought them for 200 bucks so i couldn't pass the deal up. had them installed in less than 4 hours :)

here is the setup you are looking to do. watch this video and turn it up :D

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/photogallery/albums/Mad-Mic/Racing/Sweet_Sin.wmv

totally stock motor just mild bolt on's

Current Mods:
K&N open air box, MAF descreened, TB Bypassed, 160* T-Stat, Accel Super Coil, 12* degree advance timing, Cut Back AC Delco Rapid Fire plugs gapped at .047 Indexed, TPiS Long Tube Headers, !Air, Air Elim Pulley, !EGR, Crank Pulley, and Chambered Muffler Eliminators. Hayden Tranny cooler. Stock 1600 rpm stall, 2.59 rear gear on 275/40/17" BF Goodrich Drag Radials.

Here is the link from MidAmerica

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.119.6754

the chambers don't get that drone at 2400 rpm or so like i did with straight dumps. I really like the sound and you can still have a conversation with someone or on the cell phone with the windows down or up. above 3k rpm it gets loud quick as you can hear.

Thanks for the PICs It seems that you stayed with center y pipe? I plan on making dual all the way out and have thought about the muffler eleminators I have looked befor at MidAm and they look great just might be a little too loud. I think I will stay with my ansa mufflers they are a quick pass not much for baffleing to keep down a little if I don't like what I hear I will probably go withthe type of ends that you suggest. Thanks WRO

If you buy coated headers....make SURE they are coated INSIDE and out. The Hedman headers are only coated on the outside (last time I checked anyway). I was not impressed with the welding quality of the Hedmans either...we had to repair two leaking welds on my set of brand new headers.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom