Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Judging Question

B17Crew

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
Hello, Everybody.

I have a ’96 LT4 coupe that I have been keeping stock because I’d like to have it judged (when eligible) at a regional NCRS event.

My question is in regard to weather-stripping on the C4. Would a aftermarket weather-strip be a deduction? I can obtain almost all of the OEM stripping, the cost is considerably more, but if I have to, I’ll go OEM. I want to keep the car on track for future judging.

Thanks!
B17Crew

OEM is always better - but, there are a lot of after-market parts that are just as good and "may not" warrant a deduction - just depends on how perceptive the set of judges are on a given day

c5vetter, thank you!

I’ve been trying to keep my car in “as delivered” condition. Not all of the OEM strips are still available, I may haver to have a mix of the two.

B17Crew
:w

weather-strp

Hello, Everybody.

I have a ’96 LT4 coupe that I have been keeping stock because I’d like to have it judged (when eligible) at a regional NCRS event.

My question is in regard to weather-stripping on the C4. Would a aftermarket weather-strip be a deduction? I can obtain almost all of the OEM stripping, the cost is considerably more, but if I have to, I’ll go OEM. I want to keep the car on track for future judging.

Thanks!
B17Crew
If you desire to go through the entire judging process, it is better you use OEM if you can

Hello, Everybody.

Thanks!
B17Crew

Crew.....I'm preparing my '96 LT4 for judging as well. I've talked to NCRS, Bloomington Gold, San Pariel, etc. Not to sound dumb here but please just tell me, when will model year '96 be eligible, which category are you going to enter, and where do we get the judging manual for '96s?

Crew.....I'm preparing my '96 LT4 for judging as well. I've talked to NCRS, Bloomington Gold, San Pariel, etc. Not to sound dumb here but please just tell me, when will model year '96 be eligible, which category are you going to enter, and where do we get the judging manual for '96s?

Took a look at the NCRS site. Standards manuals are available up to 1993 model year. That puts eligibility for judging at 15 years. Being ’96 owners, it seems like it will be another three years before our cars are eleigble. My initial interest is going for the McLELLAN Mark of Excellence Award.

NCRS McLELLAN Mark of Excellence Award®
This award was created by the National Corvette Restorers Society in 1997, in honor of Mr. David R McLellan, long-time Chief Engineer for the Chevrolet Corvette, who retired from General Motors in 1996. The McLellan Award recognizes individuals for the restoration and preservation of 1975 -1993 Corvettes.. To achieve this coveted award, an owner must first attain a judging score of at least 97% out of 100 based on an original "as manufactured" standard at a National or Regional NCRS event; as well as present the car for a rigorous performance test of all vehicle mechanical components and functions, all of which must operate as those of a new car, without a single failure. Finally, the car must again score at least 97%, at a National NCRS Convention, to receive the McLellan Award. The process of achieving the McLellan Award requires attendance at a minimum of three events, and must be completed within a three year period. As of end of the 2007 season, only 75 Corvettes have achieved the McLellan Mark of Excellence. Dave McLellan has personally awarded the special plaque bearing his name at our annual NCRS National Convention.

The book that you will need will one day be available on the NCRS site (not available yet). I’ve also seen them for sale at larger Corvette shows. Here’s a link for the manuals:

http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/page=C4.Library.htm/SID=1212439385.14361 copied the verbiage below from the NCRS site.

Link to the NCRS site. There is quite a bit of information to read.
http://www.ncrs.org/

B17Crew

If you desire to go through the entire judging process, it is better you use OEM if you can

Thank you, Sir!

I’m doing everything possible to keep my ’96 in “as delivered condition”. I’m surprised that some of the parts that were put on this car only 12 years ago are long since out of production. The parts are out there though, just have to search a little harder for NOS.

B17Crew

judging

NCRS is 1993, Bloomington you are eligible now

NCRS does NOT judge a car until it is 15 model years old - so, with that being said we will start judging the 1996 in 2011 - currently, we are working on the 1994/95 judging manual - we will start "authenticating" that manual later this year, as the 1994 will actually start judging in 2009!

NCRS does NOT judge a car until it is 15 model years old - so, with that being said we will start judging the 1996 in 2011 - currently, we are working on the 1994/95 judging manual - we will start "authenticating" that manual later this year, as the 1994 will actually start judging in 2009!

Soon as the ’96 judging manual is available, I’m picking one up. Kind of wishing my life away here, but I can’t wait for 2011!

B17Crew

Thank you, Sir!

I’m doing everything possible to keep my ’96 in “as delivered condition”. I’m surprised that some of the parts that were put on this car only 12 years ago are long since out of production. The parts are out there though, just have to search a little harder for NOS.

B17Crew

I have a '93 that is just about all original with a few bolt on exceptions.

Every part that I needed with few exceptions the dealer was able to order. I've inquired about some really odd stuff. Like the NOS set of 1993 rear 11x17 ZR1 wheels that he was able to get. Brand new in a box!!:thumb Always try the dealer first, sometimes I've found them to be cheaper.
tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom