Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 performance chips

sjcea

I had to share this !! Got a new custom performance chip from PCM Tuning, GM Performance for my 1993 Corvette and all I can say is WOW !! Very noticeable gains in power and quite frankly the car runs smoother with much better throttle response !! The car has always " lit up " the rear tires from a standing start ! But now it's much more violent !! Not to mention when the automatic bangs 2nd gear the car went sideways !! I am absolutely impressed with there expertise !! And I would easily and confidently recommend this company !!! And NO I do not work for them !! I am a new and very satisfied customer !!!!

Did you dyno your '93 before and after?
If so, what are the "real" power gains?

I've dynod before have not done after ! This was a seat of the pants review ! I will dyno it soon but I know what I feel. Either there is an increase in power or they are making better use of the power it has ! Either way the car is much better than before !!

I've dynod before have not done after ! This was a seat of the pants review ! I will dyno it soon but I know what I feel. Either there is an increase in power or they are making better use of the power it has ! Either way the car is much better than before !!

I never trust "seat of the pants" feel.

Many years ago I put a new chip in my Grand National Buick and it felt flat but actually cut my 1/4 miles times.

Back when I have my ole -92 Vette, I put a HyperTech chip in it but didn't dyno it. About the only thing I could actually "feel" was the CAGS elimination. Later, when I did major work on the ole '92, I had it dyno'ed before and after just to make sure I was going the right direction. Turns out I did go the right way. Back then I took advantage of "FastChip.com" out of Tulsa for my chip.

It takes at least a 20-lbs difference to feel anything with a "butt dyno" and "butt dynos" which can be that sensitive have to be really experienced.

I've been testing cars on chassis dynos for 20 years and I've never been able to truly feel less than a 20lbsft difference in torque.

There is no aftermarket calibration for a stock C4 which will gain that much performance unless the engine was running poorly before the chip was installed and, in addition to the chip installation, other repairs were carried out.

That, said, I'm not going to dispute your butt dyno but I will ask if you have any 0-60 acceleration times or if you tested the car on a chassis dyno.

If you have neither of those, mark me down as "really skeptical."

With a good running stock C4 you might see 7-10-hp from just a calibration change.

I've been doing this for many decades so I'm not new to this game ! I didn't post this to sway anyone into buying anything . but these guys came highly recommended from not only this group but many other Vette groups I belong to ! I knowy car very well and it is absolutely a better running car now and no question more power and far better throttle response. Others who have tested it on a dyno claim 15-25 real HP depending on the mods . I do t doubt it one bit

Again not trying to impress or sway anyone but myself. And I am thrilled with it ! Best tune I've ever had on any of my 60 + cars I've owned over the years

Contact them yourself . again came very highly recommended by many other Vette owners . This certainly woke up my car ! And there is a noticeable increase in power . I'll do a 0-60 later and report back . my car was 0-60 In about 5.1 seconds using my G tech pro on a consistent basis. I have no doubt those numbers will improve now

Looked at Fast chip.com and interestingly enough there chip for the 93 Vette is the sane price as the tuners I used. I tend to think they are just as good !! I'm very happy with what I bought compared to other chips I used in the past . Money well spent and good bang for the buck . I'm very happy !! And I've let them know how happy I am with there product !! I will use them again in the future !!

OK stock dyno run done on May 15,2014 my 93 Vette dynoed at 279 HP and 309 ft/lbs . Dyno run today after above custom chip install . 294 HP and 315 ft/lbs . I'd say the $159 chip was well worth it !! Throttle response is much better as well !! Very pleased !!

With a good running stock C4 you might see 7-10-hp from just a calibration change.

For an NA engine that is probably spot on and the 7-10 RWHP would be at the top of the gears.

Hypertech dyno
RWHP: before 384.38 After 394.64
Torque: before 325.91 After 352.94

GF Chips are Dyno Proven and Lab Tested to Provide Gains of Power and Fuel Economy

There are a few other runs on the page. Some engines will respond better than others. Anyone who has raced another pure stock car and saw a length or so difference has seen it.

Chips

OK stock dyno run done on May 15,2014 my 93 Vette dynoed at 279 HP and 309 ft/lbs . Dyno run today after above custom chip install . 294 HP and 315 ft/lbs . I'd say the $159 chip was well worth it !! Throttle response is much better as well !! Very pleased !!
Sounds great . What do you think I can get out of my L T 4 ? Hope ing for 390 + I have smooth intakes, Muffler eliminators, with K&M filterI also put an air-flowpiece .

Contact them ! But your car wouldn't need a chip being OBD2 but they have various programmers for basically everything ! I have a LS motor and trans out of a 2004 Corvette . I am planning an eventual swap into my C4 with this power train !! Will be an awesome addition to a car I already love

It takes at least a 20-lbs difference to feel anything with a "butt dyno" and "butt dynos" which can be that sensitive have to be really experienced.

I've been testing cars on chassis dynos for 20 years and I've never been able to truly feel less than a 20lbsft difference in torque.

There is no aftermarket calibration for a stock C4 which will gain that much performance unless the engine was running poorly before the chip was installed and, in addition to the chip installation, other repairs were carried out.

That, said, I'm not going to dispute your butt dyno but I will ask if you have any 0-60 acceleration times or if you tested the car on a chassis dyno.

If you have neither of those, mark me down as "really skeptical."

A dyno means very very little. A chip is the FIRST mod you should ever do to your TPI car . Then after that you fine tune the fuel pressure and timing. A dyno mean jack really, a chip will change how the car behaves as well as add HP and torque. Driveability is a major improvement with most tunes, because these cars are tuned for economy from the factory. You know on a dyno, the car will put down more hp with the torque converter locked, but on the track it will perform better with it unlocked! and the factory tuning locks the converter even at wide open throttle. It locks at 76 mph stock. That hurts your track times. READ this article , especially you skeptics out there! http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/0403htp-pontiac-firebird-formula-fastchip-install/

I actually came across this company out there called Custom Chips , that does mail order tuning for $65 . They have a very high rating and from what I see everyone has been happy with their work. Its worth a shot.

Word if mouth is the best form of information !! Its why I used who I did and was an awesome decision

First, let me say that the above refutes earlier statements I made about cal changes on LT1s. In fact, it refutes virtually all statements I've ever made about A-B tests of stock LT1 cals, including some of my own observed chassis dyno tests of 93 LT1s done back in the 1990s.

Secondly, a 20-hp increase from just a calibration change---provided the engine was running properly during the baseline---is absolutely astonishing. My compliments to the calibrator because he/she has discovered something in the that stock LT1 cal that no other tuner has been able to find in the last 20 years.

Indeed that's an amazing feat. Again, my compliments to the tuner.

Just a couple of additional questions.

What kind of dyno was it and were the two tests done on the same dyno?
Were the two tests done on the same day and at the same ambient temperature?
What was the correction for both runs, "Standard" or "SAE"?
Finally, was the car run in the same gear for both tests?

Best run showed 15 HP not 20 ? So no idea what your stalking about. Same dyno , same shop same everything . I do not know the make and model. This post wasn't put out there to impress you or get you to buy anything . it was an FYI post and a thank you to those who recommended this business to me ! The actual numbers were irrelevant to me but only posted for guys like you who doubt and question everything everyone else says . end result is the car runs better , has better throttle response. G tech pro shows 2/10ths better to 60 mph as well and yes on the very same road I always check

What is the difference between Standard and SAE corrections? Does it have something to do with the difference between flywheel and RWHP/RWT? Is it the old J607 Standard?

SAE J1349 simply corrects (tricks?) the dyno into believing the temperature is 77F, barometric pressue and 0% humidity. There are also ECE and DIN Standards for corrections?

None of the standards consider mechanical efficiency.

sjcea
Good to see my 7-10 at the top of the gears hasn't changed from the mid-1980s when I bought a HyperTech chip for a Z28. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom