Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C4 Power Seat Switch Removal

Kettsvette

Corvette
1988 Dark Red Convertible
My drivers' side power seat switch will only move the seat to the reverse but will not move the seat forward. All the other seat switches work. This problem surfaced about 2 weeks ago. I replaced the seat track (the rear upward gears were not working) with a rebuilt one hoping this might help solve the problem but the same thing happens - the seat will only move in the reverse direction but not the forward direction. I think it is the seat forward/reverse switch that is the problem.

The Corvette Service Manual (Electrical) shows a drawing of the switch (Fig 8C-23) but getting to the switch seems to require removing virtually all of the dash and console plastic plus the console box itself in addition to the side panel of the console along the transmission tunnel. This implies removing the seat to get to one or more of the screws attaching the panel. (I couldn't find a full description in the manual about the actual steps required to remove or replace the switch in the Manual.)

Does anyone know of a reasonable method of removing the power seat switches without removing a good portion of the interior? Any help with shortcuts to getting to the switch would be appreciated.

TV Tumer Cleaner to the rescue

I found a solution to fixing the seat switch problem in another Corvette forum. The suggestion was to spray tv tuner cleaner into the switch to clean the switch contacts. Compressed air was also used to help spread the cleaner around the switch internals. I tried it and it worked without having to dismantle half the interior to replace the hard to get to switch. I plan to try this on other switch issues when they raise their ugly heads.

I found a solution to fixing the seat switch problem in another Corvette forum. The suggestion was to spray tv tuner cleaner into the switch to clean the switch contacts. Compressed air was also used to help spread the cleaner around the switch internals. I tried it and it worked without having to dismantle half the interior to replace the hard to get to switch. I plan to try this on other switch issues when they raise their ugly heads.

Most electrical switches have what is referred to as "wipe" which is the relative motion between the movable and stationary contacts. This is a different motion than the one that completes the circuit, it's function is to clean the contact surface with each cycle of the switch and causes the most wear as well. Switches that DON"T get used enough develop an oxide coating on their contacts that can require a solvent to remove. This is why high value electronics use gold plated contacts, gold has a high degree of resistance to oxidation
All of this is to say that it is a good idea to cycle the electrical controls in your Corvette regularly to help avoid the problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom