Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C4 storage disconnect battery or use a maintainer

garyg

Corvette
1988 C4 coupe (original owner)
In the past storing my C4 I always disconnected the battery during Winter storage. Then when Battery Maintainers came on the market ( not trickle chargers ) I would still disconnect the battery.

Can the battery stay connected ( retaining ECM settings ) while using a Maintainer which shuts itself off ( therefore not overcharging the battery ) ?

Very good question!

Yes, you can certainly keep your battery connected while attached to a battery charge maintainer. I have done this for years. All of your presets in your radio & all of the info in your computer stays current! No pun intended! :D

SAVE THE GOSH DARN :w

Use a "maintainer" or "smart" charger.

I've used the "Battery Extender" by Auto Meter for more than a decade...actually I have three of them...and they have definitely increased battery life on the cars I own which are driven occasionally but also see long periods of nonoperation.

I might add that these maintainers do not "shut off". The good ones have a "base" charge rate of 1-3 amps. They, also, have an internal microchip device which is always measuring battery voltage and can control the charge output in a feedback loop. As battery voltage reaches normal (around 12.6v) the microchip dials back the charge rate from the base of 1-3 amps to 400-700 millamps which, typically, is just enough to offset parasitic drain which is normal of cars with modern electrical systems.

The important feature of these "smart chargers" is they eliminate the constant cycling of the battery between partially discharged (after a 2-4 wk period of nonoperation) to full charge (after the car has been started and driven for a while). That constant cycling decreases battery life.

Obviously, this discussion is conditional on the battery in the car to begin with is in good condition and is a good quality battery. If you have a battery that's in marginal condition or is a low quality product, then the effect a maintainer may have might be less.

For safety sake (fire), I disconnect for the down season, then charge the battery when I take it out of hibernation. Some electrical fields are always energized(HOT), so to eliminate a possible problem, I disconnect...........:beer

On a similar note, My seats/power door locks stopped working on my 88, I went to the fuse panel and touched the circuit breaker for those items, it burned the skin off the tip of my finger. I found on this site what the problem was, the action of the seat forward/backwards, abrades the power wire to the seats, I simply covered the wire. There's power to those items all the time, if I stored the car with the batt. connected who knows what would have happened. I have this site to thank for locating the problem...................

I find no reason to run the maintainer for months of storage....

I use to keep my battery maintainer hooked up throughout winter storage, but now I just disconnect the negative terminal and then charge the battery once mid-winter. Spring arrives I connect up the negative, set the clock and radio stations in under two minutes and hit the road. The computer seems to kick in and set right away. No worries, no concerns during storage.
RG

I used a maintainer for several years when I stored the vette in a remote location for the winter. Each time the maintainer failed and I found the batt dead. I just disconnect now and I store the car closer so I can charge it or take it out for a spin at least once a month.

Personally I disconnect my battery.

I have seen battery tenders go haywire and overcharge the battery creating a caustic mess. Although I will admit this was one of the lower quality versions.

I've seen fuel pump relays weld shut on race cars and pump race fuel all over a garage during an extended carb rebuild in the off season.

My buddy had a complete wiring meltdown issue after a rodent set up housing underneath the dash of his 1969 SS\RS Camaro.

I've also seen a 1970 Dodge Charger melt an underhood wiring harness as well during storage.

I had a failed starter relay ground on a 1966 Mustang in storage. I got a call one day that the car was "trying to start itself". Sure enough I got there and the starter wire was red hot and glowing with a slight grumble coming from the starter. I'm certain a fire would have soon followed.

If the storage is for a longer period, I always disconnect the battery.

Then again, I'm paranoid sometimes :w

Around where I live I disconnect the battery completely by the end of November, then recharge in April. I would never keep a maintainer on it during that period, simply not necessary.

I'm using a battery maintainer with great success. Lead acid automotive batteries are designed for maximum life with a full charge. If you decide to disconnect the battery, then use a charger to recharge the battery before use. Using the alternator can cause the alternator to over heat. When using the battery maintainer, I simply connect it to the battery posts with the battery connected.

Thanks for the input. I was particularly concerned about my vette which is stored for the Winter. I have been using a Maintainer on my Grand Cherokee which is out at my place in Park City for a number of years without a problem. The Jeep is stored from Feb/Mar until I return in December, stored for around 9 months. I disconnect the Maintainer, reconnect the battery and she is good to go.

The concern re: the vette is disrupting the ECM. Since I am only going to be gone 60 days this winter I may just leave the battery connected and noteven use the Maintainer.

Battey Life

I use a Defa maintenaance charger which is connected permanently in my car. When i park i just plug the mains in to a outside socket fitted to the car, and then no problem.

Regards,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom