Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

c4 targa top

Thinkspore

Corvette
1993 black on black 6 speed stock (for now)
hey all,

I'll start this one with a disclaimer since i'm not sure of the caliber and maturity of the posters on this site as of yet. (i've had bad posting experiences)

in regards to targa tops, i KNOW that without the top on, it makes body flex considerably more prevalent and this is a bad deal for taking hairpin turns etc.

and given that, ... i dont really care... this is my daily driver! i drive down a straight highway to and from work doing more or less the speed limit due to the abundance of cops on the road and or traffic. I dont race this car amateurly or professionally, so body flex doesn't matter to me in that perspective..

SO, given the disclaimer :)
does anyone know of a quick release mechanism that allows for easy "take off and put on" of a targa top on a 93 vette?

has anyone (a company) made something like that? I had a trans-am prior to this car, and i guess i've gotten used to the ease of pulling the tops off on the fly in a matter of seconds.

if not, that's cool, i was just curious. It's getting to be the right weather to ride around topless. you know?

Thanks..
Mitch

-----------------
Mitch -
http://www.thinkspore.com/hosting/

hey i know what you mean,had an87 camaro w/t- tops ,one lever ,pull and remove.don`t know of any quick release mechanism.Have heard of guys using a cordless screwdriver.still a pain for me though.

targa

lol yeah, exactly what i mean. in reality, i don't know how it would work either, but i've seen some crazy things that you can add on as far as mods go, so it wouldn't really surprise me if someone made what i asked for..

However, a cordless screwdriver in the storage tray or glove box could do the trick i guess. Hadn't really thought of that.

but yeah, it is a pain in the butt removing that top. Maybe i can find some wingnut type bolts similar to what you'd find on a set of old school valve covers (short enough to where i wont skewer myself on them when i hit the gas)

If i happen across a solution to this, i'll post for those who are interested

thanks again

Mitch

The best I've come up with is the cordless screwdriver with a long T40 bit. It beats the heck out of the ratchet, but still isn't near as convenient as the newer ones.

You'll find the vast majority of the posters on this site to be mature, friendly, and helpful. Rob and the moderators run a tight ship and we regulars appreciate that. Welcome.:beer

A cordless screwdriver is handy to use for the targa top.

Do you have to put your targa back on when you park your car at work for the day? If your parking lot is knowingly secure, you could buy a canopy cover for your C4.

See link below:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.707

I’ve been using the cover for years, it’s great. I stow my targa in the hatch and throw the cover on for the day. I grew tired of ratchet-on, ratchet-off, felt like an exercise devloped by Mr. Meogy.

As for this forum... I visit many Corvette forums. This is by far the best run there is. Moderators are great and quick to handle any kind of problems. The CAC may have less traffic than other forums, but I choose to be on the CAC 99% of the time. It’s quality versus quantity.

B17Crew
:w

Jester and B17, Thanks for the comments.. i've absolutely found this to be the case (with the maturity of posters) and i also appreciate the work the moderators do to keep it this way...

THANK YOU..

it is REALLY hard to find a forum like that.. for example, try posting something on the trans-am forum!

I suppose the reason behind that is most kids cant afford a vette, but they CAN afford a used F body...

I've always appreciated that about the Vette community in general.

So thanks for giving me a safe and informative place to post my inquiries!

as far as the cover, i'll check into that.. generally speaking, i park in a parking garage, and could probably get away with it for the most part.

If you're looking for top off driving experience without the body flex, R-D Racing ( and others ) make a top brace that replaces the targa top structure without the solid top.

Check out http://www.r-dracing.com/targa-truss.htm

Of course, you'd still need to put the regular top on for security when parked.

Jester and B17, Thanks for the comments.. i've absolutely found this to be the case (with the maturity of posters) and i also appreciate the work the moderators do to keep it this way...

THANK YOU..

it is REALLY hard to find a forum like that.. for example, try posting something on the trans-am forum!

I suppose the reason behind that is most kids cant afford a vette, but they CAN afford a used F body...

I've always appreciated that about the Vette community in general.

So thanks for giving me a safe and informative place to post my inquiries!

as far as the cover, i'll check into that.. generally speaking, i park in a parking garage, and could probably get away with it for the most part.

You’re welcome!

That cover works pretty well, it’s held up and is durable.

Welcome to the CAC!

B17Crew

A cordless screwdriver is handy to use for the targa top.

Do you have to put your targa back on when you park your car at work for the day? If your parking lot is knowingly secure, you could buy a canopy cover for your C4.

See link below:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.707

I’ve been using the cover for years, it’s great. I stow my targa in the hatch and throw the cover on for the day. I grew tired of ratchet-on, ratchet-off, felt like an exercise devloped by Mr. Meogy.

As for this forum... I visit many Corvette forums. This is by far the best run there is. Moderators are great and quick to handle any kind of problems. The CAC may have less traffic than other forums, but I choose to be on the CAC 99% of the time. It’s quality versus quantity.

B17Crew

Thinkspore, I really think the power screwdriver is your only path to a quicker removal operation. I have the ratchet tool in my 84 and personally I don't take the top off very often because of the four bolts. Also you mention wingnuts, but I use to work for a nut and bolt company and I don't remember any company that makes, or would make a wingnut with the sufficent hardness you'd need to be a roof hold down bolt ! And as to maturity, I don't know of anyone here who is 'Immature' So I'd let down you shield, there's nobody out to get you here! ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom