Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Turn-Signal Assmebly

N

NoVaRob

Need some insight on this one. I have a 93-C4. The turn-signal assembly on the steering column will not work for the right signals. It just flops. Everything else works (left turn, wipers, high beam, headlights). Just when you go to turn on the right turn signal there's no resistance. It does not engage anything. I assume this means I've got to open up the steering column to see exactly how it works and what needs replacing. Does anyone have experience with this? A similar experience? Can you offer any advice to info. on the internal components to the steering colunmn? Does this mean I have to remove the "air-bag"?

HELP!

Rob
email: rob@earthlink.net

Which way am I going?

I'll be watching the answers here, 78s turn signal has a similar problem. Right side works fine, but Left won't engage and hold the lever in the blinking light position. I have to hold it down for the entire time I want the turn signal on. Lately I've had to wiggle it backwards or forwards to get a connection for the blinker to work.
I have a new turn signal stalk, mine is broke in half, and now we just need to wait for the furniture to arrive to our house so we can unload the boxes stored in the garage! Then hubby can build the workbench, have access to his tools, I can find the Vette manuals (found the 78 Assembly Manual) and we will have a clean, dry area to tear into the car. Is this something that can be done in a weekend? I need my Vette to get to work M-F.
Silver

You have two main options on this problem. First of all, there are companies that specialize in steering column repair. They work much cheaper than the dealer and will often come to you. There is a typical flat fee plus any additional parts.

If you can't locate one, call your auto insurance claim department and ask them who they use in your local area. These companies usually stay busy repairing theft and attempted theft damage to columns of all kinds. This ranges from $125 to $375 and may be well worth it considering the risk of working around the air bag.

Second option--do it yourself. First, purchase or rent a high quality wheel puller and turn signal plate puller. Get your handy dandy G.M. service manual and review the entire steering column section. Follow all precautions on disarming the air bag and keeping the clock spring in place.

When you get the wheel, clock spring, and upper horn plate off the column you will be able to see inside and maybe detect the problem. You will be looking for a loose screw or broken piece of plastic. It the turn signal assembly is broken, you will have to unplug down near the brake pedal and fish the whole thing out. Putting the new one in is a real trick. I used a hanger wire to guide the harness through the tight tilt section. The other problem will come in the plastic pieces just at the base and foward of the turn lever. Again, I can't stress enough how helpful the actual G.M. repair manual will be considering the exploded views of this area.

I have performed this job on my wife's 90. Her center column section was worn out causing the wheel to wiggle. I was able to get a center pin section from a Chrysler of all things and swap it with her unit. It took me four attempts. One of those attempts I did not set the high beam turn signal section back in correct and had the same problem you are having. I only figured it out after putting the whole thing back together.

Now that I think about it, it would have been well worth paying a pro to do this job. The good news is that it is fixed and working great.

Most of all, make sure you will not need the car for a few days and take your time. If you get in a hurry or force anything you will end up breaking some of the small plastic pieces or loosing the small parts. Don't get too frustrated if it takes you more than one try to get it right.

Good luck

"One of those attempts I did not set the high beam turn signal section back in correct and had the same problem you are having."

This is an interesting observation. I have noticed that the hgh beam switch is also very difficult to engage, which makes me wonder if the previous owner had an earlier problem.

I've found a used section for $50. and I have the GM manual. I think I'm going to give it a shot on my own.

I think you will find the problem in the area at the base of the turn signal arm going towards the front of the car. I had a very difficult time getting the pieces to stay in place as I put the covers and parts back together. You will see what I mean. There is a plastic piece that comes off the arm and engages the lever that travels all the way down the column to the high beam switch that is mounted just above the brake pedal. The piece is held in by the pressure between the shaft and the arm and the plastic cover that snaps around it.

Plus, you can adjust the actual switch by backing off on the mounting screws and moving it back and fourth on the column. It is spring loaded and what gives the lever the kick when you flick th high beams. Make sure the high beam lever remains in the pocket of the switch while putting the upper column together. This will keep positive tension on the rod and help hold the little plastic piece in place while you snap the side cover back on.

Just don't loose your cool and everything will be great.

Chris

I am having a similar problem to the one you just described. How in the world did you keep the plastic piece to stay in place as you put it back on? I've tried rubber bands, string, everything I can think of. Mine accidentally came off when I replaced my turn signal switch, and now I can't get it back together. I haven't taken the steering wheel off, because I don't have a puller and am not that confident working around the airbag assembly. Is my best bet to take it to the dealer and let them fix it for me?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom