Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 vs C5 - long read

" Also, I find 6th gear almost useless. During my drive to Carlisle last weekend, I found the unless I am going between 75 and 80 on reasonable flat road the motor lugs as the revs are around 1500 in 6th."

It might be just me, but I noticed this also. It is a hell of a trade off as most of the in town speed limits are 65 and for me to basically even use 6th gear the minimum I can do is 70. This is what I typically do if the rest of the traffic is flowing in this speed range.

Since there is the CAGS I am trying to lcoate the optimum range of when to go from 4th to fifth, gas mileage wise that is. I am pretty sure that staying in 4th at slightly higher revs is decreasing the gas mileage, but I have found that if I am not doing somewhere between 55-60 for 5th I experience the same problem as with 6th gear.

My two cents

Pseudomind said:
" Also, I find 6th gear almost useless. During my drive to Carlisle last weekend, I found the unless I am going between 75 and 80 on reasonable flat road the motor lugs as the revs are around 1500 in 6th."

The owners manual says that you are okay at or above 900rpm. I had an LT4 6 speed and could do 60 in 6th with no trouble. Although, I had the performance axle ratio option, which may have made a difference.

I drove a 01 vert it was different for sure. I liked it alot I could see me buying one. I would like to drive a Z-06. But I think the next Vette I get it will be a vert. After two coupes thats what I would go with. :beer

Warren,
glad this post became active again because it was a great read. I obviously missed it when first written.

I have a ’96 LT4, my experience with C5’s is from four test drives I took of prospective cars when I thought of trading my LT4 for a C5 (this was back in ’99/’00). My longest drive was in a 2000 coupe.

Aside from the C5’s well known advances over the C4, I felt I could see more of the road ahead in the C5 than my C4. In coupe form, there is no denying the C5s targa is much more user friendly, undue the latches, stow and go. The hud took some getting used to, but it was fun to tinker with. The doors on the C5 seemed more user friendly as well. They seemed to open and shut “smoother” than what my C4s do. I really didn’t mind the ride of the runflats on the C5, I’ve read that they have a firm ride, but I had no complaints, the C5s ride felt relaxed.

With each C5 I have driven, I noticed right away that my LT4 felt just as quick as the C5’s I drove. This was purely going by seat of the pants, but your run of 13.12 confirms my impressions. My LT4 runs 13.2 @ 107 and is unmodified (A 13.1 or maybe even 13.0 is in there if I practiced more).

Great thread, it’s cool to read the impressions of Corvette owners who have moved up to the next generation.

B17Crew
:w

I have to admit the quote above is not mine. I had no tfigured out the use of the "Quote" icon so I put in quotation marks. The quote is from Warren.

Thanks

I had around 5K miles on my 04 C5 when this post started..I am now up to 40+K miles and I agree the C5 is one of the best drivers I have had, technology is a great thing.

But I still can’t get over the rush I get when I climb in the cockpit of the ZR-1, as far as performance the Z beats it hands down in every category except driving with the top off.

I had many C4s myself. 85, 86, 88, 89, 91, 93 x 3 (all bright AQUA metallic), 96 x2. and I have had this 99 MN6 for 3 years. Best Vette I have ever owned, and by a land slide. Faster stock then my 96 LT4 car was 13.0@109 vs 13.2@107 as fast top end after just intake and exhaust as my ZR-1. the 99 did 183 in 5th verified by GPS. My 93 ZR-1 could muster no better then 182 on the same GPS also with an intake swap. Amazing fuel economy. I average 29mpg on the highway cruising at 80-90. None of the C4's could even think about that. My one 93 with 2.59 rear end got 26 on the highway at 80-90, the ZR-1 got 25 etc....

Ease of Entry / Exit vastly improved. Ease of working on the car is light years ahead (Spark plugs, Headers, Shifter swap etc...) The LS1 responds to mods better then any of the C4 cars I had and I had them all except the Cross-Fire and the B2K. the car is a better handler then any of the C4's with the possible exception of the GS but that car had a ton of rubber on the rear compared to the little 275's my car came stock with. I'll agree the sound system on the C5 is weak compared to the later C4's, but hell now all I want to listen to is the melodious sound from my exhaust anyway. As stated the top is way easier on the C5. The rear storage area is also vastly improved.

I liked the C4 better for the following reasons. I could driver faster sooner in the C4 then in the C5. Though I believe the C5 handles better it snaps way more then the C4's with the possible exception of the ZR-1 and so it takes some time to learn how the cars gonna react. The seats in the C4 are better. Stock C4 seats are better then sport C5 seats and stock C5 seats are a joke as far as support goes, though they are lighter. The C4 felt like you are part of the car when in it, that does not happen in the C5 though I know that was the plan to help ingress/egress.

I miss my C4's but never, not even one time have I regretted getting my C5.

I have no way to compare them as I have not yet driven a C5. Any takers??:D

koolaid117 said:

Next time you are in Boise, you can take a spin in my Z06. :D

koolaid117 said:

That's pretty much what the thread was about last year... check out the history.

Well, folks, I currently own both a C4 and a C5. (This is what happens when an old thread gets revivived! :L )

Some observations:
Oh, the Z06! It's a dream come true. The almost limitless resevoir of power. The roar my Borlas make. The intimidating stance it has- I haven't had so much as a clueless kid in a rice-mobile so much as look sideways at me in months! The lines and profile! The HUD- so cool to see vital information floating a few feet in front of you on the road. Running through the throws as I bring her up to high gear, and get shoved back into the seat. The way it feels so solid when cornering. It's simply awes me every time I drive it how the car feels like it was DESIGNED for performance driving, and yawns at doing a mere posted speed limit.

The '90 Vert. The L-98 gives you good pick up from a standing stop, but you run through the gears (yes, it's a six speed, too) a lot more quickly than the Z06. If you hold your shifts too long, the car almost feels like it's vibrating. It can corner, but you find yourself holding the steering wheel much more tightly than you do with the Z06. There is no comparison- the Z06 is the better performance machine. But that isn't why I got the '90 Vert.

I missed the orange glow of the dash display. I missed the way the early '90s sport seats litterly molded themselves around you. And when it comes to enjoying a fine morning or evening drive in perfect conditions- there is no comparison to having a convertible. The '90 fills it's role with complete satisfaction.

I love them both, for different reasons. And I drive them both enthusiastically, with a big grin on my face.

:D

-Patrick

Somthing else I noticed about C4s and C5s-

From 1997 to 2004 the same model C5 rides pretty much the same. (The base model with any optional suspension packages)

But there is a world of differance between the years of C4s, not just between the first and last.

That's true, Warren. The C5's only ever had the LS-1 or LS-6 engine platform. During the entire run of the C4's, you had... what?... five different engines?

-Patrick

Not only were the engines differnt, but the suspension in the C4s from year to year was very differnt.

The origional C4, the 84 was very hard riding and sharp. My 95 rode like a Buick compared to the 84s and 85s I have driven. The later 80s and early 90s were some where in between.

On the other hand, the 97 C5s I have driven rode just the same as my friends 04. (Non Z0-6)

Well, here is my story. I bought my 1996 CE LT1 coupe in the summer of 2000. At the time I bought her, I knew almost nothing about Corvettes or Corvette generations. I just fell in love with that first test drive as well as the styling of the car. Over the next few years, I added a Corsa catback exhaust, a K+N filter, Taylor wires and I continued to enjoy the car.

Then, I don't really know why, I decided I wanted a 6 speed Corvette.....preferably a Z06. The search began......

As the search continued, I sold my beautiful CE to another local enthusiast...it was tough to do that but economically the right thing to do for me.

I came within 12 hours of buying an EB Z06 at one point.

Then, I realized that I also loved magnetic red. That search led me to Corvette Palace and the 2002 mag red Z51 coupe that I now own. I have to say that the drive home from Austin Tx. was thrilling!

I miss my CE, but I don't regret replacing it with an awesome C5..:)

:beer :w :lou

C4 VS C5 or C6

Like you I love my 95 BG Green C4 Coupe...But What I did was bypass the C5 and went to a C6 Sunset Orange Z51 six speed...Love to shift...But I don't have a lot of 35mph city...A lot of open winding road around here...The reason going to a C6...Color, HP, Z51...Plus the Kids, GrandKids are 2-3 hrs away...Also the over night weekend trips...Like you said, the C4 is a little harder on the body on the longer trips...I don't know if I'll adapt to the change...If not I guess I can look for a C4 driver...I'll let you know at the end of summer...'DRIVE IT LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE A NICKEL IN IT"...Fegs...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom