Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4's and theft

Corvette
2002 Z06
Was wondering if anyone has had, or heard about, any experience relating to attempted theft of their C4. My recently-acquired '95 has the resistor in the key feature (first car I've ever owned that's so equipped) and of course the factory alarm.

Do any of you feel the need for (or have you installed or do you use) any aftermarket hardware to further protect your vehicle from being stolen.

c5d, you have a good point about most thefts being for parts. My experience is similar; both times my old 280z was broken into, yrs ago, the perp was after parts. The s.o.b. even stole the gas cap!

regards, Jeff

One thing they do have for the C4 is a battery protecting plate that makes it quite difficult to pierce the battery to disable the alarm. An inexpensive add on.

Re: A good start..

c5d said:
I had both a kill switch & keyed, gas shut off "Murphy" valve installed.

Have any examples of these "Murphy"s D?

Theft of Vette

Now try this to keep your Vette from being stolen. On my 1999 Convertible I mistakenly removed a fuse that controled the fuel pump and was unable to get the engine running. After replacing the fuse it started up just great. At the time I thought, if I didn't want the Vette stolen, just remove the fuel pump fuse each time and close the hood, nobody will carry a spare and be able to get into the fuse section. Check your fuse diagram in your manuel.

shoot I don't think you need anything else, I can hardly get into my 96 with out the alarm going off. The passive thing works just fine,even irks me sometimes cause it locks and activates two feet away from car:dance

Michael Malone Smith said:
shoot I don't think you need anything else, I can hardly get into my 96 with out the alarm going off. The passive thing works just fine,even irks me sometimes cause it locks and activates two feet away from car:dance

True!

Re: A good start..

c5d said:
V, this is a good staring point:

http://www.aftinsurancemall.com/ins..._vehicles/stolen_vehicles.cfm?navopt=1#states

Generally speaking, my experiences are that cars are stolen for repair parts. The higher the incidents of repair, the higher the incidents of theft. As such, Corvettes will be at the lower end of the theft scale.

Of course if just one Corvette is stolen & it's your's, the numbers become meaningless. If you are nervous about it, then one of the best devices is a simple, hidden "kill" switch.

Most thefts are hit & run. If there is any delay, it's RUN. Most thieves are not going to stick around searching for a kill switch. In the old days (So.Cal. & the bad guys knew who had the good stuff on their cars), when my cars were getting stolen, I had both a kill switch & keyed, gas shut off "Murphy" valve installed. End of problems. If you like hi tech, OnStar can be added for tracking in the event of theft.

As for my Corvettes, I have three watching over the cars at all times. Me, Smith & Wesson.

Hope this helps,
C'ya
D

True, but in my case there's only Me and .45 National Match!

Re: Re: Re: Murphy valves

c5d said:
KOPBET, I'm wondering why there is any appreciable difference between diesel & gas. Of course the flash point is higher for gas, but if the valve is installed correctly, I would think there is little chance for any problems. I ran the valve on my '62 Vette for two years, without incident.

I'm waiting for a reply from Murphy on the issue. Did you already contact them by chance, or have the answer at hand?

I suppose one could always resort to a manual shut off valve of the marine type if complete safety is your first consideration.

C'ya
D

You are correct except flash point is reversed. Flash point is lower for gas. Diesel is a combustible liquid and not a flammable liquid (like gasoline). Combustible liquids have a flash point of over 100F and flammables have flash point under 100F. Gasoline flash point is about -49F and diesel can go as high as 160F. Flash point is everything. Murhpy valves are suitable for combustibles like diesel only.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Murphy valves

c5d said:
Thanks on correcting the flip flop on flash points. One of those :duh 's.

So why only suitable for diesel? Or better, how can a murphy valve ignite the gas?

TIA
D

I suppose we will have to wait for the response to your inquiry from Murphy regarding the design constraints with the solenoid actuation of the valve and possible ignition of the gasoline. However data sheet clearly specifies diesel fuel only.

http://www.fwmurphy.com/Bulletins/SECTION 55/SV-99026B.pdf

Please let us know their response D.

I know of a guy who had an 84... his rims got stolen when the car was at his house.. during the day. Funny thing, they only took 3 rims.

I know of a much worse theft story, happened on my street but not to a corvette. Some ricer with a seriously modified engine, had his engine stolen. Apparently in the middle of the day the thieves showed up with a truck, an engine lift and some tools, pulled off the front clip and quickly took the engine.

Kinda scarry, how do you prevent that?

At the races i talked to this guy who had his 8 second 3rd gen camaro stolen from his house. It had a 434 small block blown and sprayed engine from russ engine builders.. he was offering a 10 000 reward for it back. The theives rolled the car away from his house before towing it away he thinks.

so what ive learned? you cand to much... if your paranoid enough and have the money for lowjack.... put it in the oilpan

-chris

Re: More valves

c5d said:
Probably quite well. Just be sure the GPM flow & PSI range are sufficient.

C'ya
D

Flow: 0-3 L/m. That sounds like a lot to me, but then again I really have no idea what the requirements are on an LT1. Perhaps some research is in order here.

Re: Re: Re: More valves

c5d said:
1 GPM should be very high end, plenty of flow.
3.78L/Gal., which seems close enough.

C'ya
D
Great! Thanks.

BTW - How do you look up all those statutes? Do you have a privileged source?

This is kind of off the wall, but is a very good anti theft device i have thought up.

It's a glorified kill switch. The kill switch is a great idea, as long as you can hide it well enough that no thief could find it.

Somewhere on the instrument panel or wherever, get 4 or 5 on/off switches, wire them all in a series, but wire some upside down, this makes for a combination lock out of a kill switch. thief would need to know wich way to switch all the switches. You could even run one switch in the series under the seat somewhere, this way if he gets ****ed and wants to rip off the dash plate and try to run a jumper wire across your combination, he will still be crap out of luck,

just a though

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom