Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 air box question

TR04VERT

Corvette
2004 red vert
Has anyone here cut holes in the top of their stock air box to let more air in and did you notice any difference other than noise or actually any difference?. I already know about the zip tie mod but I just want to know about swiss cheesing the top.
thanks

I did that with my '97. It did not make any real-world difference. Also, when you wash the car, water can get into the filter area. Take a look and you will see what I mean.

Good point...but I put the famous hood seal on just for that purpose, to keep the water out...and also since the stock air box has a tiny hole and the Z06 air box has a slightly larger hole for the air to enter are you sure that more air to the filter wouldn't be a good idea by cutting some holes on top of the air box? Just brainstorming with some logic...not sure it is the correct logic though. I hear so many C5 guys talking about the inadequate hole to let air into the filter...
Just thought it would be an idea as opposed to a Blackwing or Halltech which really require a better exhaust system(which would include tube headders) to really benefit the "more air in and more air out" theory...just thought some holes on top of the filter box would let a little more air in...
Thanks for the response...any more help you guys?
:beer

I replaced my stock air box with a Donaldson Blackwing and it made a very noticeable difference. If you are going to modify the top of the stock box or go to any open filter like the blackwing you will absolutely need to install the aftermarket seal at the front of the hood to keep water off your filter.

Dale

I replaced my stock air box with a Donaldson Blackwing and it made a very noticeable difference. If you are going to modify the top of the stock box or go to any open filter like the blackwing you will absolutely need to install the aftermarket seal at the front of the hood to keep water off your filter.

Dale
Same Dale who recently emailed me?:)...Did you get my last email?:beer

TR04Vert said:
...I put the famous hood seal on just for that purpose, to keep the water out...
:beer

Just get a Blackwing and be done with it!

Be done with what?:confused I forgot to mention that I have another C5 WITH a Donaldson Blackwing and it didn't make enough difference that you could write home about...just a little more noise when WOT:bash...so I was just wondering about the swiss cheese mod to let a bit more air in instead of air going through the quarter sized hole on the stock box...
But thanks for your opinion:beer

Your other option is to spend ~$40 at gmpartsdirect.com and get a Z06 cover with the hole in it.

Your other option is to spend ~$40 at gmpartsdirect.com and get a Z06 cover with the hole in it.
Now that is a good suggestion...the Z06 box lid hole is 2 times the size of the quarter inlet hole so that would be like .50 worth:L which would be a 100% improvement over the stock cover...right?. what about drilling a dozen 1" holes in the box lid for free?:D(but I'm serious)...still need to know if that would help with the restricted breathing and be worth the effort...>>>being it isn't much effort to drill a dozen 1" holes in a plastic type top.....
BTW...someone did offer me a Z06 box free and the lid of the box was supposedly in good shape but they never answered my email when I said I'd be glad to pay the shipping:crazy

Thanks for the info :upthumbs

BTW Shan...what this?>>>"Ladies Choice award":)

Now that is a good suggestion...the Z06 box lid hole is 2 times the size of the quarter inlet hole so that would be like .50 worth:L which would be a 100% improvement over the stock cover...right?. what about drilling a dozen 1" holes in the box lid for free?:D(but I'm serious)...still need to know if that would help with the restricted breathing and be worth the effort...>>>being it isn't much effort to drill a dozen 1" holes in a plastic type top.....
BTW...someone did offer me a Z06 box free and the lid of the box was supposedly in good shape but they never answered my email when I said I'd be glad to pay the shipping:crazy

On my 2003 Z06, I found that if I ran without the box lid, and simply fixed the air filter in place with zip ties, the Vette was fine. Mind you, I'm not recommending you do that, because of the complications that can occur if you got caught in a big rain or drive through a large puddle of water.

My air filter was a K&N, so I routinely took it out and cleaned it, too.

BTW Shan...what this?>>>"Ladies Choice award":)

The "Ladies Choice Award" is a prize given out at the car show that occurs during the CAC's annual CruiseFest gathering. Basically, you have the popular vote for best Corvette at the car show, and then you have the vote that only the ladies can participate in. Shan won it in 2006. I won it in 2005.

-Patrick

On my 2003 Z06, I found that if I ran without the box lid, and simply fixed the air filter in place with zip ties, the Vette was fine. Mind you, I'm not recommending you do that, because of the complications that can occur if you got caught in a big rain or drive through a large puddle of water.

My air filter was a K&N, so I routinely took it out and cleaned it, too.

The "Ladies Choice Award" is a prize given out at the car show that occurs during the CAC's annual CruiseFest gathering. Basically, you have the popular vote for best Corvette at the car show, and then you have the vote that only the ladies can participate in. Shan won it in 2006. I won it in 2005.

-Patrick
Thank you for the filter info...I understand...
And also thanks for filling me in on the award meaning:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom