Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 and Tinted Windows

Nevets2004

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe / Lt. Oak
I have a black 2004 and think tinted windows would look really great. I know this question was probably discussed before but here goes anyway.

I live in Bucks county, PA which is just north of Philadelphia. Can anyone suggest a window tinter in my area? Also, does anyone know the law regarding the tint percentage and any potential gotchas?

thanks,

Steve,
As I live in Colorado, I'm not altogether familiar with Pennsylvania's laws on window tint limitations. I can tell you what they are here, and I would guess that they would likely be similar to your state's. But the only way to be sure would be to call a window tint retailer and ask them.

In Colorado, you can go as dark as you want on your back window, and any window behind the driver's shoulder. However, the front windows cannot go (legally) below 35% light transmission. (I say "legally," because you will always find window tinters who will, as a cash-only transaction, put tint on the side windows as dark as you would like. The risk you run is that if you get pulled over for it, and get a "fix it" ticket, the tint will have to come off and you'll have lost whatever money you spent on it.)

At least in my area, I've never seen people actively pulled over for a window tint violation. It tends to be an add-on charge for something else (like speeding). Again, I don't know how zealously enforced window tint violations would be enforced in your state.

As for recommendations on a window tinter, I'm sure some of our other members will be along shortly to give you some contacts. I have to say that tinting the windows on my Z06 is one of the first, and best, things I have ever done on my Corvette. It looks great and greatly reduces the interior temperature. It also gives my Vette a nice, stealth look. (Check my signature.)

:w
-Patrick

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for your advice. Unless someone from PA responds, I'm going to start looking for retailer around here. Glad to see a response from a fellow Black Vette owner. I take it from you reply thatyou're happy with the tint. I can't wait.

Save the wave,

Don't go to dark.....A medium tint on a black on black Vette will be a lot darker than you think. I went with a medium on my 82 black on black and it was great (to me), any darker and I might as well painted the windows.
The dark interior will make the windows look darker with the medium tint which is great for staying on the right side of the cops.
:beer:w

There are some issues with tinting the back glass. (the dots give way to bubbles - go look at the top of your back glass if you don't understand what I am talking about)

Last "trick" I hear about was using Elmer's White glue when applying the tint over the dots.. it dries clear and prevents the bubbles.

Mine was quite heavly tinted when I bought it the car was from Texas, I can say it is worth it the interior stays much cooler then my other cars with less tint. I have since bought the glass top and the tint is so close they look identical.
2d_12_s.jpg

Nevets2004 said:
I live in Bucks county, PA which is just north of Philadelphia. Can anyone suggest a window tinter in my area? Also, does anyone know the law regarding the tint percentage and any potential gotchas?

thanks,

Is your Vette the black Z06 I see around Quakertown? I'm also considering tinting my windows but want to keep it legal.

I have a silver coupe with a dark back window. It looks really cool but I also park in a parkade, when at work, and I find the dark tint, when in limited light, really problematic for parking where concrete pillars are everywhere. Depends on looks vs practicality. Let the flames begin

Make sure you know what you are getting. many tints that have heat blockage in them have a silvery look to them. If you want the tint to look black, tell the tinter that.

I have 3M tint on my vette. It is awesome stuff. 76% heat blockage, it looks black, has a lifetime warrantee against fade (or anything else). AND the best part is you can use ANY cleaner you want without discoloring it. even ammonia based cleaners.

I think the car looks great, and it keeps the car so cool that while on the highway on any day that is 80 degrees or less I just run the vent instead of the A/C. Too much above 80 is a bit too warm for comfort, but the A/C definitely works better at keeping the car cold.

Rain said:
There are some issues with tinting the back glass. (the dots give way to bubbles) Last "trick" I hear about was using Elmer's White glue when applying the tint over the dots.. it dries clear and prevents the bubbles.

Yesterday, I picked up my 2004 Corvette after the Window Tinter was finishhed and sure enough . . . on the rear glass, where the top defroster dot mesh is, didn't adhere and looks like crap... almost as though there's a 2 x 8 inch dirty portion of the window.

He stated that: "That's the best that you can do with a 20004 Corvette." Bat Guano! If that were true then the film wouldn't adhere to ANY of the portion that had the dot mesh and onviously, it IS adhereing all around that patch - behind, in front and on each side. It looks like he simply didn't remove he pre-cleaner sufficiently whichh left traces of the cleaner on it, thus prventing the adhersion. He didn't seem to have much comment after that other than "we'll, I don't know?!" So, I made him remove it as it just simply made the whole window look like crap.

So, is it REALLY a major tast in tinting the rear glass on a 2004?

SatansVette:

Nothing to do with the year or even the Corvette. The problem is on all cars that have that dotted piece for the defrost or electrical.

I didn't know about the elmers glue trick but I do know most tint jobs have the dots problem.

DoomDriver said:
SatansVette:

Nothing to do with the year or even the Corvette. The problem is on all cars that have that dotted piece for the defrost or electrical.

I didn't know about the elmers glue trick but I do know most tint jobs have the dots problem.

Ya, I didn't think the 2004's rear glass was any different from other C5's but wasn't quite sure However, I did see two other C5's with the rear glass tinted and it looked fantastic. I don't know how they did either of them as I simply saw them in a parking spot. The defrost dot mesh didn't seem to cause any problems with those, which were what actually influenced me to tint mine. Nevertheless, if my window tinter was able to make the film adhere to the dot mess all around the strip that it didn't adhere to and unless I'm missing something, obviously he just didn't use enough care?!

Towards the top, the dot mesh starts downward, very congested with dots but from the first couple of inches the congestion is pretty similar. I suppose I'll try and find a different tinter and go from there, or if anyone else has any tips, I'd sure appreciate your insight.

SatansVette,
I have the same problem on my '03 Z06. The problem is universal because of those "bumps" on the inside of the rear window. My installer said the only fix they now of is to actually put some black paper under those bumps and have it blend with the actual tinting.

One day, you're going to have to tell me how you ended up with the name "SatansVette." :L

-Patrick

Vettelt193 said:
I have 3M tint on my vette. It is awesome stuff. 76% heat blockage, it looks black, has a lifetime warrantee against fade (or anything else). AND the best part is you can use ANY cleaner you want without discoloring it. even ammonia based cleaners.

I think the car looks great, and it keeps the car so cool that while on the highway on any day that is 80 degrees or less I just run the vent instead of the A/C. Too much above 80 is a bit too warm for comfort, but the A/C definitely works better at keeping the car cold.

3M is what I have too, and I think it's rated as the best tint film in the industry. (Lots of businesses apparently use it on their office windows). I also recommend it.

-Patrick

Patrick said:
One day, you're going to have to tell me how you ended up with the name "SatansVette." :L

-Patrick

Ohhhhh THAT.. would be a long story, but I think you're right, I do need to tell... perhaps at the end of this thread! ;)

Patrick said:
SatansVette,
I have the same problem on my '03 Z06. The problem is universal because of those "bumps" on the inside of the rear window. My installer said the only fix they now of is to actually put some black paper under those bumps and have it blend with the actual tinting.

Ya, that defrost grid sure isn't too "tint" friendly that's for sure. But what's funny is... he actually got the tint to adhere to almost ALL the glass over the holes... it was just the one little strip that it didn't. The glue theory seems pretty logical... seems like if one could squeege a thin layer over the top which would fill the holes and which would thhen give you a flat surface to adhere the film to, that should work wouldn't it? Kind of similar to using "spot putty" on a auto body panel I would think?!

Great advice everyone, thanks....:beer I think I'm going to wait until it's a little warmer before I have it done. It's been really cold here. And yes RAIN, I know about the dots. I just hope the tinter has a few tricks up his sleeve.

bossvette said:
Mine was quite heavly tinted when I bought it the car was from Texas, I can say it is worth it the interior stays much cooler then my other cars with less tint. I have since bought the glass top and the tint is so close they look identical.
2d_12_s.jpg

I gotta tell ya....It looks awesome on red !!!! :upthumbs

Norman Clemmer said:
Is your Vette the black Z06 I see around Quakertown? I'm also considering tinting my windows but want to keep it legal.

Nah, that's not me. I have a Coupe and haven't been near Quakertown in quite a while. I live in Levittown which is near Langhorne and Yardley

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom