Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Automatic Shift Knob

pbkahn

Corvette
1998 Triple Black Conv
I recently purchased a new shift knob and adapter kit from Zip-Corvette products.

I followed the installation instructions; however, when the installation was complete, my ignition key would no longer come out of the ignition.

The adapter comes with a spring. I assume that when the new knob is installed, I will have to push down on it to change from gear to gear. I think that the spring that was sent was too large and the the adapter went all the way down and therefore never released the transmission even though the car was in park.

Has anyone had any success with installing these types of adapters and shift knobs? If so, please let me know what the secret is!

Thanks
Peter

Make sure you unfold the leather boot at the top so that it can slid down.
The spring goes over the nylon part down near the bottom.
Then slide the adapter on. Push down far enough that you just feel the plunger. Tighten the setscrews evenly.
Pull the shift boot up and fold the top edges in. Put the wave disc and the cap on over the folded edges of the shift boot. That will hold the boot in place. Thread on your shift knob. You're done!!!

The most important part is the spring over the nylon/plastic part at the bottom and push down the adapter until it touches the plunger while tightening the setscrews.

Sorry.... I just noticed that this was an old post... my bad!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom