Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Bra - Recommendations??

Was just curious if any of you have ever considered using the 3-M clear vinyl. I understand that it now comes with a 5 year guarantee against yellowing.

I visited a local shop where the owner/installer told me that he puts it on Mercedes all the time.

Peabody.

I put the clear 3M stuff on my Chrysler 300M 5 years ago and it is still pristine in appearance. They have improved the stuff according to my Ziebart dealer but he could not/ would not attempt to do a trim of the hood area material to accomodate some Commemorative style striping I already have on my 04 that I did not want to have the protective stuff laid down over, so I am going to a different detailer who could do the trimming and will have some put on the front end next Wednesday. Don't know if it is the same 3M stuff or from a different Mfg. I'll find out. It is going to cost about $300 including labor. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Do you have a part number for this GM bra? Does it have the C-5 Logo on the front or say Corvette?

Thanks,
Bill

Did you purchase a genuine GM issue bra or was it an after market from West Coast Corvette? If you have any part numbers that would be handy as well.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

The GM Bra comes with the C5 logo embossed on the small cover that slips on the front of the hood. West Coast Corvettes sells the genuine GM bra and sends them out to embroider the C5 logo with colored stitching. This adds a touch of color and looks terrific. You have a couple of choices on the logo color if you buy from WCC. I do not have the WCC website address but do a Google search and you should be able to find them easy enough.

Clear bra is in place

Got the clear bra stuff put on by local Autotrim Design shop. The invoice says that it is Avery SPL. I think it is made by Avery-Denison. It may be called Invinca Shield. It looked very good at pick-up but I have not had the time to nitpick the application for tiny bubbles, so I will do that this weekend. It has the same warranty as the 3M stuff. They were going to do a cut-out of the pattern to fit around my Commemorative striping that is on the car, but they determined that it would lay down smoothly over the striping and not cause failure at the intersection of the two materials. I will wait and see on that, but they said the clear stuff is much thicker than the striping material so it should be no problem. Further report will follow after a weekend inspection. Wish we could get a warm sunny day to leave it outside to cure in.

Clear bra review

This weekend, I had a chance to go over the application of the clear stuff in more detail that I had done by Autotrim Design near home. Cost was $301 installed. I have a Medium Sprial Gray color 04. The application is incredible. You cannot see this stuff virtually at all. You have to feel an edge to realize it is on. No bubbles to speak of, it laid on perfectly. They did run it across the Commemorative pattern of striping that I did in Copper and with a Blue edge line, instead of trimming the pattern in the package, but they assured me that the striping material is so thin compared to the bra material that the bra material would lay down over it with no problems. I will see how that goes. I did it in reverse on my 300M, the bra went on first before I even thought about doing a racing stripe, and then a year or so later I added the striping over it. I had an issue after that about 3 years down the road at the point where the materials intersected. They re-did that area at no charge. They say it will not happen the way it was done this time with the thinner stuff underneath the tougher bra material. I would try to post pictures, but it would be a waste of film, since you can't see the stuff.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom