Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 brake swap ??????????

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

There is an article in Corvette Fever that says that the C5's brakes can be swapped with the C4's, is this true and did anybody do it and what was the results?

What about the 96's because if l remember they came with larger brakes.

Alan

Alan,

The Black Book states that starting in '95, "the larger brake package, included previously with Z07 and ZR-1 performance options, was included for 1995 with all models." I am not sure about retrofitting C-5 brakes, in terms of value/performance versus time, cost, and effort.

Good luck.

did it to my 86...worth its weight in platinum

ez change, many have done it

about $500 all new parts if you try

96 probably already has 13" rotors, but c5 rotors are thicker(better cooling)..c5 calipers are better (red zo6 pretty too)...big attraction for you would be much cheaper replacement rotors

DSC01719.JPG

And C6 brakes can go in C5, therefore in theory, C6 could go in C4 if you install 18 inches wheels.

I did this conversion to my 89 three years ago but instead of standard C5 rotors I went with a heavy duty racing rotor for a C5 the C5 rotor is much better than the C4 and the rotor that I have is much better than the standard C5 rotor. I used the Hawk hp pads they have a 40 percent higher friction coefficient than oem pads. I also did the DRM spring in the master cylinder that improves the rear brakes a lot. Is it worth it depends on how you drive. If you drive a vette like it should be driven then HELL YES it is worth it because after you have made the change you will realize that the oem brakes really do SUCK.
Edit I forgot to mention that the big rotors and calipers will not fit with OEM wheels. You will need after market wheels so that combined with the brake upgrade will cost several $$$$$$

Sounds amazing but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds that it would be cheaper to just move into a C5 from a 96 c4.

kingman said:
Sounds that it would be cheaper to just move into a C5 from a 96 c4.
Won't cost that much but that is one option if you want a big ugly butt C5. For me I would buy the C6 instead never did learn to like that ugly butt on the C5

C6 ????????????

While l have to agree with you that the C6 is a better machine hands down,
my State (NJ) requires a front plate and the C6 license bracket is butt ugly and the front of the C6 looks like E.T.

But beside that the C5 has ample cargo room for my dog and as long as my dog is still with me that is the deciding factor.

When my dog goes to place where all dogs wind up and only then will l think about the C6.

Alan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom