Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 brakes installed...

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
Whew.

I spent part of this afternoon and part of this evening putting C5 brakes on the front of my 86. These are stock rotors, calipers, and pads from a 2001 Vette, painted red to look like Z06 calipers. I used Ed Salinas' early-C4 brake adapters, and the wheel spacers I'm running with my late-C4 wheels allow a perfect fit. No clearance issues. Very simple upgrade; everything just bolted nicely into place. Hardest part was removing the frames for the old calipers as they hadn't budged probably since the car was new.

The new brakes are HUGE compared to my old ones; I put the old rotors in the box from the new ones and they looked totally lost in there. Remember, I had the EARLY brakes, which were smaller than the ones that came out a couple years later.

Still have to bleed the system; going to do a complete fluid flush while I'm at it (even bought Speed Bleeders to make life easier). Hopefully I'll have it out tomorrow or Monday (probably Monday - tomorrow will be "seal the driveway" day so the Vette will be stranded in the garage) and can report on how much better (hopefully!) the car stops.

[RICHR]

Rich,

You have sure been putting a lot into your baby these past couple of years. It's time for me to start doing that as well!:L

Now that you have C-5 brakes, are you still going to wave? ;LOL;LOL

Len:w

Still wave? Heck, yeah. I wave when I'm in my Outback! Though of course nobody waves back :(.

Edmond, this is pretty much my only hobby now... and when I'm done either I'm going to autocross it (and win, by sheer weight of improvements) or be afraid to drive it.
[RICHR]

I know what you're doing, Rich. This is going to end up being a Maryland showdown between Mic and yourself, isn't it?:L:L:L

Are those 13" with dual piston callipers? I know they are different, but are they much better than the J55's? Whatever, i guarantee you are gonna be very impressed with the improvement :beer

Heh. I wasn't originally trying to catch Mic, but beat my bro-in-law (Sothpaw's) LT-1. Of course, then HE went and got his engine souped up, so the bar has been raised even higher.

I think I'll be able to take Mic when the car is tuned, simply by virtue of the higher top end. Then, of course, he'll get his 383 done and I'll be seeing taillights again :).

The brakes are the dual-piston 13". I got what I thought was a reasonable deal on the package from someone who upgraded to 4-pot Brembos. Are the J55's the later C4 brakes? Or the later HD setup?
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Edmond, this is pretty much my only hobby now... and when I'm done either I'm going to autocross it (and win, by sheer weight of improvements) or be afraid to drive it.
[RICHR]

where's the keys? :D

are you going to the corvette shoot out sept 11th at capital? i still haven't got my DR's yet but i might go and see if i can limp out a 12.99 run...lol spins too hard on street tires.

Mic, you're welcome to stop by and borrow those freebie DR's you got me. Just leave me a couple of runs in them. No, I probably won't be able to make the 11th; September is turning out to be a VERY busy month after this weekend of sloth.

Sloth. Who am I kidding? I seal-coated the driveway today (2 cars long, 2 cars wide). That's a job I never want to do again.

[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Mic, you're welcome to stop by and borrow those freebie DR's you got me. Just leave me a couple of runs in them. No, I probably won't be able to make the 11th; September is turning out to be a VERY busy month after this weekend of sloth.

Sloth. Who am I kidding? I seal-coated the driveway today (2 cars long, 2 cars wide). That's a job I never want to do again.

[RICHR]

sounds good Rich! might need to borrow your helmet also if i can crack better than 13.99 :L

BTW driveway looked good! lets do some burnouts on it :D .....hehe

OOooh!! Do I hear an offer to re-do the driveway? :) I really wasn't happy with how it turned out... #$&*(^&*% three tubs of sealant, three different shades of black.

Lemme know when you want to drop by. Sorry I couldn't chat more earlier; we had to rush to eat and catch a movie.
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
OOooh!! Do I hear an offer to re-do the driveway? :) I really wasn't happy with how it turned out... #$&*(^&*% three tubs of sealant, three different shades of black.

Lemme know when you want to drop by. Sorry I couldn't chat more earlier; we had to rush to eat and catch a movie.
[RICHR]

no problem. i usually don't drop by unexpected but i was out cruising and came down hospital drive so i figured i'd stop by for a min and see how things been going.

if you need help with the driveway let me know.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom