Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5, C6, and C47

navy2kcoupe

Corvette
2000 Navy Blue Coupe A4 Z51
From a post by XLR8 on 10-30-12 ............
So next month we'll look for a cruise report thread and pix from you! :happyanim:

:wJane Ann

OK.......so here it is Jane Ann...............

We went to a place in Polk City, Florida called Fantasy Of Flight (Fantasy of Flight, World's Greatest Aircraft Collection)

DSC_0207.jpg

and had a GREAT time. I would recommend this attraction to anyone that has ANY interest in
planes and aviation. While we were there, we were allowed to take the Vettes onto the ramp area
for some pictures.......

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

and THAT's why the title C5, C6, and C47! This particular C47 actually participated in the D-Day
invasion in Normandy, and was used to transport members of the original "Band Of Brothers" into
combat. The owner of Fantasy Of Flight, Kermit Weeks, acquires unique/unusual aircraft for his
collection, and the vast majority of the aircraft on display are flyable! While we were there, this
C47 was started and moved to another area to make room for a DC-3 that was coming in for the
purpose of getting Mr. Weeks checked out in it so that he could fly the C47. Ya gotta love round
engines when they start! All the noise and smoke takes you back to an earlier time. We were also
able to get a couple of pictures in front of one of the hangars. There are 2 P-51's in the hangar, a
C-model, and a D-model, as well as a bunch of other aircraft.

DSC_0229.jpg

It was a GREAT day, and I would tell anyone that's any where near this place, to take the time to
visit it. You won't be disappointed!

Andy :w

Thanks for the heads up and photos. I am also an aircraft fan. I volunteer at the National Museum of the USAF. I hear it is the larges AC museum in the world, but most of our AC are no longer air worthy, except for the B-1 here. Nice photo of the cars and especially of the Dakota! This Fantasy of Flight museum looks very fine too.

From a post by XLR8 on 10-30-12 ............
So next month we'll look for a cruise report thread and pix from you! :happyanim:

OK.......so here it is Jane Ann...............

We went to a place in Polk City, Florida called Fantasy Of Flight (Fantasy of Flight, World's Greatest Aircraft Collection)

DSC_0207.jpg

and had a GREAT time. I would recommend this attraction to anyone that has ANY interest in
planes and aviation. While we were there, we were allowed to take the Vettes onto the ramp area
for some pictures.......

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

and THAT's why the title C5, C6, and C47! This particular C47 actually participated in the D-Day
invasion in Normandy, and was used to transport members of the original "Band Of Brothers" into
combat. The owner of Fantasy Of Flight, Kermit Weeks, acquires unique/unusual aircraft for his
collection, and the vast majority of the aircraft on display are flyable! While we were there, this
C47 was started and moved to another area to make room for a DC-3 that was coming in for the
purpose of getting Mr. Weeks checked out in it so that he could fly the C47. Ya gotta love round
engines when they start! All the noise and smoke takes you back to an earlier time. We were also
able to get a couple of pictures in front of one of the hangars. There are 2 P-51's in the hangar, a
C-model, and a D-model, as well as a bunch of other aircraft.

DSC_0229.jpg

It was a GREAT day, and I would tell anyone that's any where near this place, to take the time to
visit it. You won't be disappointed!

WOW! Great photos and write-up, Andy!! I love the photos of the Corvettes and the planes! Outstanding! :thumb

Thanks for sharing the story, photos and heads-up about this museum. It's going into my "Places to Visit" folder!

Unlike other places, Fantasy of flight lets you walk thru the restoration shop and the engine shop. There are a lot of planes undergoing restoration, and at this place, it can take awhile! They only have 8 people certified to work on aircraft, and one of them is a dedicated welder. That leaves 7 people to do ALL of the inspections (annuals, semi-annuals, and 100 hour), as well as ALL of the maintenance required to keep all of the planes running and airworthy. Needless to say, there's not much time left for the restoration work, and very large pieces (like the wings on the B-29) get farmed out to other shops with larger facilities. The engine shop has everything from a 2 cylinder horizontally opposed engine to a 4360 cubic inch 28 cylinder radial behemoth! They have 8 or 10 Allison engines like those that were used in the first Mustangs, as well as many other types. They have the only flyable B-26 in the world, as well as a Sunderland flying boat. They built a lake on the premises for the flying boat because it's not able to land on a hard surface runway. It has to land on the water, have "beaching wheels" attached, and be towed up on shore. The process gets reversed for take off! All in all, a wonderful and informative day that I think anyone would like!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom