Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Coupe Inside Hatch Glass (Plastic) Problems

mshipon

Corvette
1998 Lt. Carmine Red Metallic Coupe
Hello Everyone,

This is my 1st post on this forum. I have been a member of the CorvetteForum for over 3 years now and just heard about the CAC at a cruise I was attending last night.

The inside of the C5 coupe hatch glass appears to be a plastic coating that covers and protects the heating elements and radio antenna. Not initially realizing this, I tried to clean the "glass" with Zaino glass polish. After I was done the inside of the glass was really smeared and smudgy. I've cleaned it up the best I could, but the plastic still seems a little cloudy. Apparently, it was a little too harsh for this surface. Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this problem? If Sal Zaino scans this board, I'd appreciate some insights from him.

Thanks!

Martin Shipon, Andover, MA

1998 Light Carmine Red Metallic Coupe, 6 Sp, 27,000 miles

Martin,

Any luck with this problem? Were you able to resolve it?

Rob... I took my car to a good glass installer and was told that the inner hatch glass had been tinted. I didn't even realize it was since it is a lighter tint. The tinting was wearing and starting to de-laminate from the glass causing the smudgy, smeary mess. I will need to get the old tint "chemically" removed and replaced. Extra care needs to be taken not to cut/break any of the defroster wires. The price I was quoted to remove and replace the rear tint and to tint the side windows was $350. I may have this job done late winter/early spring for next season. I'm maxed out for this year!

I took it to Executive Auto Glass in Stoneham, MA and they sub their tinting out to The Tint King in Billerica, MA. The price estimate was direct from The Tint King.

Yep. I've heard good things about them and their ads are always plastered all over the radio stations up there. :)

Welcome!

Martin,

I'm sorry I didn't notice this post earlier or I would have welcomed a fellow MA resident! I'm from Weymouth. Perhaps we've met at some Corvette shows in the New England area??

GS Diva aka Elaine

Thanks!

Possibly so, maybe at the Budweiser show or the Heberts show. I've been a member of Spindle City Corvette Club out of Lowell, MA for over 3 years; first with my '94 and now with my '98. We're having our annual Harvest of Vettes show this coming Sunday (9/22) at the Chelmsford Elks Club off of Route 110. We usually have between 150-200 cars. There will be music, food, raffles, door prizes and lots of fun. Check it out!

She'll be there. LOL :L That is an awesome show. Ann Goulas and the entire club do a great job there. I miss that show.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom