Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 coupe vs C5 convertible

C

concours

I am looking to buy my first Corvette. I am really interested in the C5 convertible but am concerned about loss of frame rigidity. Does anyone have information aout how the convertible handles and rides compared to the coupe?;help

The vert is great.

The C5 was designed from the beginning to be a vert so its ride is wonderful and it handles very well thank you.

I agree with Tuna, but having had convertibles, T-tops, and the current Targa top, I’d opt for the latter. Just a ton more flexibility for your riding configurations & enjoyment. My top is “see through” so that adds even more to the enjoyment. …and would be really neat for those autumn runs over Monteagle or over to McMinnville.

I don’t know why GM went from dual removable panels (visa-viz C3) to a single removable panel. It’s only drawback is that it is a little cumbersome to lift off and on.

Tom

t-tops

The old T-top was done because it was the only way to get the chassis stiff enough. The C5 is stiff enough without the top member. The C5 convertible is structurally stiffer than any of the C4's or other 'vettes.

I also had a Targa top C5 with the clear panel. It was nice to take it off, but it is not nearly as open as the convertible. I also had to buy an after market plastic sheet to stick on the clear panel in the summer time. It was just too hot without it and I did not have the body colored top.

I now own a Z06, which is a fixed roof car. I miss the top coming off a little bit, but the extra power is worth the trade-off. Hey- it is a sacrifice, but somebody has to do it!

Yeah, I figured the "T" was for stiffness, but it sure made taking them off & on a darned sight easier. If GM would offer it as an option Vs the Targa, I’d jump on it.

I understand about the heat radiation through the clear panel. Mine is heavily tinted so even in the FL sun, radiation isn’t a problem. The view out is excellent, but you can’t see in unless you cup your hands and look directly down into the car.

Still, your sacrifice isn't all that difficult to take either!

T

The C5 is a great engineered car. Either way will work great. It is more about: what type of Corvette do you want? Coupe or Vert? Then you will have to make a decision on 6-speed manual or automatic. This is where the fun starts for you, and it will never end.

Note to Concours

Keith,

Unless you plan to road race the car there is vertually no difference in handling. Get a vert with the Z51 option and you'll love it. You'll be able to shut down all your buds and do it topless. Down where you live you have a nice long convertible season so it even makes more sense. Of course some may say I'm partial.

Remo
:cool

Of course some may say I'm partial

Aren't We All??!!

Maybe Keith should just bite the bullet and get all 3. Now THAT would be a collection! :upthumbs

T

If the bank account and the garage were big enough that would definitely solve the issue. Thanks for the input! :Steer

Yep...all good advice. Don't think twice about the structure. It's great no matter what. It all comes down to personal preference. What do YOU want? What are you willing to trade off?

My "personal" opinions:

Vert - Awesome interior and you just can't beat that top down openness. Top up, doesn't look as good and there's more road noise, plus there's care considerations. Wife has a 99 fbod vert.

Coupe - Solid and quiet with the top on if you keep the wx lubed, looks good. Top off, there's plenty of openness and fresh air, plus it looks way cool! You even get a choice of tops: solid or smoked. You can have both if you want. Takes up valuable trunk space with the top off.

FRC - Z06...need I say more? I just can't live without going topless though, and it's possible to mod up to Z06.

:pat

Z06 Vert

Joe,

My wish is that the Corvette engineering boys will finally come to grips with the need for a Z06 convertible. Beleive me, the day that offer is available my 01 gets traded in.

Remo
:cool

hey guys I prefer convertibles.......Does anyone have the numbers on the difference in 0 to 60 mph. and 1/4 miles times with regards to the coupe and convertible?

ACCELERATION

invinceablevett said:
hey guys I prefer convertibles.......Does anyone have the numbers on the difference in 0 to 60 mph. and 1/4 miles times with regards to the coupe and convertible?

I don't think there is any difference at all.

Hi,
I have the Coupe with the tinted roof. The Speedway White and the black tinted top look great!!!

This is really a high grade problem....
Do I get a Vette vert or a coupe???? It's a good life!!! Which ever one you select....You are going to love it!!!

Tony

The C5 was designed first as a convertible. The torsional rigidity of the C5 convertible is among the best in the world which is why the coupe and the convertible weigh within a few lbs of each other.

NO EXTRA BRACING SUPPORT WAS NEEDED FOR THE CONVERTIBLE.

I have driven both the coupe and the convertible. I would say if your looking for open air enjoyment. There is no replacement for a convertible. Its a much more open and closer to the road feeling than you will achieve with the coupe.

I know this is blasphamey (sp) but I was not that impressed with the targa top off in my 1999 C5... It just wasn't like driving a c5 convertible Corvette that a friend let me try.

BTW..I also did the GM Ride of a lifetime..where you run the various Corvette models through an autocross for a day..and because the tops off in the Convertible..I felt it was easier to manuvear through the cones.FWIW..it truly felt closer to the road...and I didn't not notice one iota (sp) of chassis flex..

Not on creak..nothing..

So if your truly looking for top down motoring..I'd strongly suggest the convertible. The performance of the car along with the structural rigidity is world class.

JMO

I have a 01 with the Selective Real Time Dampening (Dial in Suspension). Chasis is much much (did I say much?) more refined than my 89 Coupe. :J

The ride is not harsh at all, even if I pick the Sport Mode. Noise level is fine unless there is a 18 wheeler beside me. :Steer

I'm also very impressed with the quality and fit of the top. I live near Houston Texas and if you recall a couple of weeks ago, Hurricane Claudette was ungracious enough to pass thru our part of the Gulf Coast. No leak what so ever!!! :BOW

Best of luck. You cant go wrong on either choice.
:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom