Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Cruise Control quit

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
I tried to use the cruise control in my '98 yesterday and discovered it's not working.

Could it be a fuse or is the problem more complex?

TIA
:wJane Ann

Make sure your brake and clutch switch (on a 6spd) are correctly adjusted, they are located under the dash on the pedals. They sometimes push up and out of adjustment.

Make sure your brake and clutch switch (on a 6spd) are correctly adjusted, they are located under the dash on the pedals. They sometimes push up and out of adjustment.
iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

But check the fuse first!:thumb

Dang!

Now I gotta' go figure out how to work it. Here in New Jersey we never have enough room between cars to actuate the cruise control.

I had it on once in Maine a few years ago .... now I forget how to use it.

:W

I know we've had this discussion before but possibly a C6 in crytal red? :D It would solve the problem.

I wish. :L

Should have mentioned it's an automatic. No clutch.

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

But check the fuse first!:thumb

Will do.
Thanks for the replies everyone. :thumb

I tried to use the cruise control in my '98 yesterday and discovered it's not working.

Could it be a fuse or is the problem more complex?

TIA

Jane Ann,

I'm glad you posted this question. Just last week, mine mysteriously stopped working as well. Turn it on, push the button...nothing. The weird thing was that I was heading towards Denver (worked fine), stopped for about 10 minutes, resumed my journey and it didn't work?!?!?!?!

I haven't had time to really check it out yet, but my first thought was a fuse as well. If it isn't that, I've got an appointment to take it over to my Corvette guy in town next week. If you haven't figured it out by then either, I'll let you know what he says.

Rick

Jane Ann,

............ If it isn't that, I've got an appointment to take it over to my Corvette guy in town next week. If you haven't figured it out by then either, I'll let you know what he says.

Rick

Thanks Rick! I'm working this week so it may be the weekend before I can do anything with it. I'll do the same for you!:thumb

JA

Update!

A friend suggested that I try a simple fix for my cruise control... after starting my car, but before I engaged it and drove off, I placed my foot underneath (or slightly behind ) the brake pedal and pulled it up, or toward me. I then drove to the highway and after reaching cruising speed, I tried the CC again.

Voila! It worked!

Seems there is a switch that if slightly out of place, makes the computer think the brake is being applied - thus the cruise control won't activate.

That's my kind of fix... one that doesn't cost me dollars. :D

A friend suggested that I try a simple fix for my cruise control... after starting my car, but before I engaged it and drove off, I placed my foot underneath (or slightly behind ) the brake pedal and pulled it up, or toward me. I then drove to the highway and after reaching cruising speed, I tried the CC again.

Voila! It worked!

Seems there is a switch that if slightly out of place, makes the computer think the brake is being applied - thus the cruise control won't activate.

Thanks for the tip Jane Ann. I will try that tomorrow. :)

Voila! It worked!

That would be the brake switch in post #3. You will still need to adjust the switch under the dash, as the cruise control will still more than likely shut off over bumps.

As I recall it doesn't work under certain conditions. It was real simple. I think the explanation is in the owners manual. I think that's where I found out about it.

Voila! It worked!

Well, guess what? Same thing here. Pulled up on the brake pedal and...ta da!....the cruise control works again. I actually heard something softly go "tick" when I did it. Saved me some money. I know this doesn't really "fix" the problem, but in the short term, works for me. Thanks again Jane Ann! :thumb

Jane Ann,

I'm glad you posted this question. Just last week, mine mysteriously stopped working as well. Turn it on, push the button...nothing. The weird thing was that I was heading towards Denver (worked fine), stopped for about 10 minutes, resumed my journey and it didn't work?!?!?!?!

I haven't had time to really check it out yet, but my first thought was a fuse as well. If it isn't that, I've got an appointment to take it over to my Corvette guy in town next week. If you haven't figured it out by then either, I'll let you know what he says.

Rick

Hey Rick, what shop do you use?

Bill

Hey Rick, what shop do you use?

Bill

I take it to the Corvette Center down I-25. It's a little far and inconvenient sometimes, but I feel more comfortable as they specialize in 'vettes. Everytime I had them do some work on the '89, I never had to take it back to them. Rik and his folks are good people too.

I took my '89 to Al Serra Chevy one time to get a simple rear transmission seal, pan gasket and speed sensor seal job done. It was barely dripping, but drips bug me. They broke the speed sensor when removing it and when they "finished" the job, it leaked worse than it did when I took it into them! When I complained, they gave me some song and dance about how it was just residual tranny fluid from the prior leak. Mmmmm...not so much as this stuff was PUDDLED on the garage floor and the new transmission fluid was down to 1/2 within a week! I had to fight them just to get them to look at it again and the whole time they were acting like I was bothering them. After they did, they came back and said, "We see no leak. We even drove it around for a a good while and after that no leak." Ever heard of thermal expansion dummy? It leaked after it cooled down at night and I told them when I brought it in....DUH!!!!!! Never again...never again. I wouldn't trust those dumb dudes to perform an oil change now. :eyerole

I take it to the Corvette Center down I-25. It's a little far and inconvenient sometimes, but I feel more comfortable as they specialize in 'vettes. Everytime I had them do some work on the '89, I never had to take it back to them. Rik and his folks are good people too.

Yes that they are...was just down there yesterday.

I took my '89 to Al Serra Chevy one time to get a simple rear transmission seal, pan gasket and speed sensor seal job done. It was barely dripping, but drips bug me. They broke the speed sensor when removing it and when they "finished" the job, it leaked worse than it did when I took it into them! When I complained, they gave me some song and dance about how it was just residual tranny fluid from the prior leak. Mmmmm...not so much as this stuff was PUDDLED on the garage floor and the new transmission fluid was down to 1/2 within a week! I had to fight them just to get them to look at it again and the whole time they were acting like I was bothering them. After they did, they came back and said, "We see no leak. We even drove it around for a a good while and after that no leak." Ever heard of thermal expansion dummy? It leaked after it cooled down at night and I told them when I brought it in....DUH!!!!!! Never again...never again. I wouldn't trust those dumb dudes to perform an oil change now. :eyerole

You won't get much in the way of disagreements there! Al Serra has THE worst service department I have ever experienced.

Where abouts in the Springs are you?

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom