Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Engine cleaning

Chrisr

Corvette
'07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert
I would like to clean the engine in my C5. It's only dusty from driving it all summer. No grease/oil stains or anything like that.
I want to know if I can just take a garden hose and hose the motor off on a gentle setting?? And also, do/should I cover anything up???

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,
Wouldn't an engine steam cleaning be better? I mean, I've always heard that just putting water on the engine, there are several things that can become issues: the electrical system has to be protected, the air intake system has be covered. Personally, I'm very reluctant to do that on either my '03 Z06 or my '90 Convertible.

I have a local mechanic shop I go to that does a pretty good job of engine steam cleanings. You might see if you can find a mechanic's shop in your area that can do these- the amount of water used is far less than what comes out of a hose to wash off your engine, and the steam heat is quite effective at getting off the grease and grime.

:w
-Patrick

If it is just dust, DON'T use water or a steam cleaner. Too many electrical connections, and though they are environmentally tight, I wouldn't rick it. I use a rag, moistened with soapy water to wipe down the engine compartment. I then use a rubber protectorant on the hoses and seals. The plastic tanks I just wipe down with the rag, then dry off.

Patrick & Silver98,

In all honesty, I never gave a thought to steam cleaning, just didn't think of it. Besides, the engine compartment isn't quite that dirty to warrant a steam cleaning, yet. I'm glad you responded with the idea though. I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Basically whats there is just road dust from driving all summer. The stuff bothers me, and my show season is coming up quickly.
I'm going to try the soapy rag technique first. I think that'll do the trick at this point.

So to sum it up, I would be better off steam cleaning the engine instead of taking a hose to it?? I can definetly see the advantages.

Thanks for the input guys!! At least I didn't do anything stupid first and then ask the questions!!! :L

Chris

Though its more work, I wouldnt steam or hose off the motor. So many weather pak connectors are anything but mositure accumulators.

Some old tooth brushes, rags and a good household sparay cleaner followed by lots of Armor All. Time and patience too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom