Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Oil

F

frelks

Is anyone out there using something other than Mobil1 or any other synthetic oil in their C5? If so, what have been your results?

frelks said:
Is anyone out there using something other than Mobil1 or any other synthetic oil in their C5? If so, what have been your results?

There's lots of choices out there. Some good some not so good. Unless you are doing something other than normal driving why use something other than what Chevy spec'd for the engine. They did their research. I've used Mobil 1 since day one and had no problems.

You can use any synthetic oil that meets the GM4718M standard. Many synthetics do, Castrol Syntec is one of them. The Service manual also states if you cannot find oil that meets that standard you can use oils that meet API service SJ and ACEA A3-96. It also states that if temperatures do not get below 0F you can also use 10W-30. I believe all the above assumes synthetic oil.

In Italy I once had to use AGIP full synthetic oil (5W-40) in my car because I could not get Mobil 1. That stuff cost about $15 a liter too! My car suffered no ill effects but my wallet sure did!

6 Shooter said:
I think there's some Castrol fans out there.

Just wondering, have ya had problems with Mobil 1? ;shrug

I haven't really had any problems other than the lifter noise at start-up commonly referred to as the "sewing machine noise". Our corvette club had a gentleman named Tidwell from Pure Performance who is in the oil lubricant business and he had some rather unsettling things to say about the synthetics and their lack of zinc. I am no expert, but he didn't seem to have a personal dog in the hunt, so I thought I would check the subject out. Mr. Tidwell is a long-time Corvette officianato and has been using base oil at the 10W30 weight in all his vettes with exellent results. I want to keep my car on the road so I thought I would do some additional reading/inquiry. Thanks for your response.

Bill Heygster said:
There's lots of choices out there. Some good some not so good. Unless you are doing something other than normal driving why use something other than what Chevy spec'd for the engine. They did their research. I've used Mobil 1 since day one and had no problems.

I would normally agree with you, but I have recently learned that Mobil1 entered an agreement with Chevrolet to fill all the vettes with Mobil1 for free if they would put a recommendation in the Owner's Manual for Mobil1. Seems like a win-win for Chevrolet. I have done a lot of reading over the past few days and I am not convinced that a base motor oil wouldn't be better because of the zinc in the mixture package. Consumer Report quoted a recent experiment using New York taxis over a two year, 60,000 mile period. Their results indicated there was no measureable wear difference between motor oils (weights, base or synthetic) and it didn't seem to matter if the oil was changed at 3,000 or 6,000 periods, the engine wear was about the same. My problem with that study is the environment is mainly in town, stop-and-go traffic. I like to run my vette a little harder than that and frequently get above 3-4,000 RPM in the mountains. I would imagine wear patterns and engine strain would be different in those conditions. I appreciate your response. I am getting the same basic feedback from others who have responded, either here in the forum or around town.

OIL

Hi all I have a 63 NOVA SS w/5sp in it. It has a early 350 engine in it that has been mod a whole lot. It turn 8500 RPM and has 12 to 1 comp. It is a roller engine. I have driven this car almost every day for over 8 yrs useing Vavoline 20/50 oil in it. I drive this car VERY hard and also drag race it too. There has not been a time that I was in it that it did not see 8500 RPM. I just tore it down and took it to the shop tobe checked out. They told me there was no wear on the cyl or crank. I just had to refresh it and put in new parts (rings etc) One valve guide had alittle wear and it was replaced. (Brodix Heads-2.08 ) I could not believe it. I'll always use Vavoline oil. I use it in my Vette too (98-10/30 reg oil) I changed my oil @ 3000+ in the NOVA because I drove it so hard. I change my oil in VETTE @ 4500+ because it is not working as hard. So far I have not had any problems with the VETTE. It has alot of miles on it and it is fine. Don't know if this helps or not--just my .02 cents worth. And yes I had to use race gas in NOVA--I don't drive it as much now--it cost WAY to much for fuel and it will eat some fuel--lol.

Terry and Linda

T&L said:
Hi all I have a 63 NOVA SS w/5sp in it. It has a early 350 engine in it that has been mod a whole lot. It turn 8500 RPM and has 12 to 1 comp. It is a roller engine. I have driven this car almost every day for over 8 yrs useing Vavoline 20/50 oil in it. I drive this car VERY hard and also drag race it too. There has not been a time that I was in it that it did not see 8500 RPM. I just tore it down and took it to the shop tobe checked out. They told me there was no wear on the cyl or crank. I just had to refresh it and put in new parts (rings etc) One valve guide had alittle wear and it was replaced. (Brodix Heads-2.08 ) I could not believe it. I'll always use Vavoline oil. I use it in my Vette too (98-10/30 reg oil) I changed my oil @ 3000+ in the NOVA because I drove it so hard. I change my oil in VETTE @ 4500+ because it is not working as hard. So far I have not had any problems with the VETTE. It has alot of miles on it and it is fine. Don't know if this helps or not--just my .02 cents worth. And yes I had to use race gas in NOVA--I don't drive it as much now--it cost WAY to much for fuel and it will eat some fuel--lol.

Terry and Linda

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I am considering moving to Valvoline 10W30 myself on the recommendation of some mechanics I trust. You haven't had any warranty concerns?

Fred

frelks said:

What possible benefit would there be in using something else?

Remo:cool

We have 10-12 company trucks on the road (one vette) all use Mobil 1,with no prob. I'm with Remo,i see no benefit.

Remo said:
What possible benefit would there be in using something else?

Remo:cool

Amen Remo - You could probably use bear grease and get away with it and if someone did they'd say it was the best way to go. I'll stick with what it came with. No doubt other oils are just as good as Mobil One but........- This discussion is somewhat like the one about the best wax to use.

OIL

Hi all again. I looked at my post and I left out some detail. I use 10/30 syn oil in my vette--not just reg oil. I use Valvoline oil because I have seen first hand how good it works. Also the oil in the NOVA was Racing oil. Hope I did not cause problems out there. I don't think reg. oil would do the job right.
T&L

This may help in the OIL discussion...

frelks said:
=====================================================

Hope this helps

An article I just read humbly suggested that interested parties get the August issue of Sport Rider magazine (which has a detailed definition and explanation of the additives and compounds used in various motor oils), and the October issue on newsstands now (where chemical analysis of various brand oils was performed, along with various lab tests, plus a dyno test of dino vs. racing synthetic).

Enjoy your ride,
Gary

PS.
Interesting web site on the subject... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.html

Gary Melton said:
=====================================================

Hope this helps

An article I just read humbly suggested that interested parties get the August issue of Sport Rider magazine (which has a detailed definition and explanation of the additives and compounds used in various motor oils), and the October issue on newsstands now (where chemical analysis of various brand oils was performed, along with various lab tests, plus a dyno test of dino vs. racing synthetic).

Enjoy your ride,
Gary

PS.
Interesting web site on the subject... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.html

Gary, I read the same article. Since I have a dry clutch in my K1200RS, I am going with straight automotive Mobil I in my bike, also. Anyone in the aviation industry knows that an AD (airworthiness directive) came out on some lycoming IO360 engines that requires the use of an additive to prevent premature wear on the camshaft. I think the Shell oil has an oil with the additive already mixed in for those owners. The point being that oil stock and additives can and DO make a difference. Mobil 1 has never been reported to be problem (AFIK), is recommended by the factory, and is easily accesible for me. Mobil 1 is in everything I own. If there is something else comparable, I don't really care.

Castrol, BMW, vs. Mobil 1

The wife has a BMW 325XI. The first time I got an oil filter cartridge in early 2004, (yeah, just the guts- no outer case!) The counter man at the BMW parts dept. offered to sell me the BMW full synthetic 5W30. I hesitated and asked how much are you getting for a qt.? He said $3.80 and said that it was made by Castrol. If you look under the hood of my wife's 2003 Bimmer, the oil filler cap says "BMW recommends Castrol" right on it.

I have had good luck with both Mobil 1 and Castrol with several different cars I've owned. I'd say I got slightly better mileage with Castrol over the long run. I calculate mileage at every fillup. I average 21 mpg. on my first generation LS1.

If you change your oil like I do at about 4000 mile intervals, the savings do add up, and both are premium products. The BMW oil is now $4.00/qt. while at Autozone, and Advance A P the Mobil 1 is like $5.60. At really 7 qt. an oil change, you save about $11.20 a change or $33.60/yr. if you drive 12,000 miles a year. That $ can go towards the never ending MODs budget, thanks to Eckeler's, Corvette Central, Mid America, etc.

Just a cheap old Yankee's opinion
Bluemill

Hi ,Please consider Amsoil 10w/30w synthetic go to there web site
www.amsoil.com and read there research on mobil 1 oil I think you will like it. They were the first in synthetic oils eliminates the sewing machine sound (lifter noise on start up) due to the oils adhesion properties. I have been using it in my oil cooled V Twin Motorcycle for 5 years it runs cooler and quieter as well a little better gas milage too :)....Dr C5

Dr C5 Corvette said:
Hi ,Please consider Amsoil 10w/30w synthetic go to there web site
www.amsoil.com and read there research on mobil 1 oil I think you will like it. They were the first in synthetic oils eliminates the sewing machine sound (lifter noise on start up) due to the oils adhesion properties. I have been using it in my oil cooled V Twin Motorcycle for 5 years it runs cooler and quieter as well a little better gas milage too :)....Dr C5

About 4 years ago there was a law suit lost by Mobil1. They sued because other synthetic oils were saying that they were fully synthetic when in fact they were not and used up to 50% fossil oil. Mobil1 is 100% synthetic the others are not. The only one I do not know about is Royal Purple. I'm sticken with Mobil1..just my $.02...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom