Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 shifter Knob

J

Jack R Lawson

Remove stock six speed shifter knob. I was thinking it should just unscrew, but that does not seem to work. It will not budge and I can't seem to see a set screw or any such device that has it locked in place. I was affraid to force it much more, what is the process, can someone help me, as you might know by now I am not much of a mechanic. Thanks for your help. Jack

gmjunkie

Corvette
03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
Remove stock six speed shifter knob. I was thinking it should just unscrew, but that does not seem to work. It will not budge and I can't seem to see a set screw or any such device that has it locked in place. I was affraid to force it much more, what is the process, can someone help me, as you might know by now I am not much of a mechanic. Thanks for your help. Jack
You have to take the square plastic cover out of the center of it,(it will pry out) and then there is a wedge that you have to get a hold of with needle nose vice grips and pull it striate out!!! Sometimes you can get under it with a screwdriver but that can damage the knob!!! Then just unscrew it!!:upthumbs

vett boy

Corvette
2008 vert 6M silver
That square cap in placed on there with a hammer at the factory ,I almost died. The guy says you haven't seen anything yet.About an hour later they installed the front clip with a padded block and what appeared to be a 50lb sledge .

But yes junk is right you have to get the cap off and now ya know how to put it back (hammer)

J

Jack R Lawson

You have to take the square plastic cover out of the center of it,(it will pry out) and then there is a wedge that you have to get a hold of with needle nose vice grips and pull it striate out!!! Sometimes you can get under it with a screwdriver but that can damage the knob!!! Then just unscrew it!!:upthumbs

Thanks, just what I needed to know, really appreciate your help. Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom