Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 skips with AC on

Fox12

Corvette
2001 Convertable 6 spd
Need help, have a 2001 6spd Convert with 30K miles and with AC on and at 190 -230 degrees skips under hard accel in 2nd and 3rd. Replaced wires and plugs, Any ideas?

Fox12, welcome to the Corvette Action Center! :D

Let's see if we had a similar situation. My car would bog a bit at lower RPM. It was really pronounced when the A/C was on. When the car was under 1000 RPM the engine would miss and almost stall out. Once the RPM's were up the miss wasn't noticeable. It seems you're issue is at higher RPM?

Any codes that you can list to help out?

My issue was as I described above, engine bogging at lower RPM but more pronounced with the A/C on as you described. My fix was a trip to the dealer for an injector flush. The car really woke up once the injector flush was complete. You have low miles on your car (mine has over 130k on it) but it only takes one bad tank of gas to really foul your injection system.

Leon

thanks, the power loss and skip starts at 1500 and gets worse as RPM rises No backfire or induction cough, just a power robbing skip. Also when cold runs hard like it should.
Will try the injector clean.

Actually, if it runs fine when it's cold then you have a sensor issue once it starts running closed loop. Check to see if you have any codes before spending the money on an injector flush. O2 sensor perhaps? I had a similar issue on my C4 that was an O2. Check for codes first.

Leon

Checking codes is the first place to start. Let us know what you find. If you need help retrieving codes you can find all info on tech center pages. Regards, Zig.

Actually, if it runs fine when it's cold then you have a sensor issue once it starts running closed loop. Check to see if you have any codes before spending the money on an injector flush. O2 sensor perhaps? I had a similar issue on my C4 that was an O2. Check for codes first.

Leon

If I'm understanding Fox12's problem correctly, I think I had this problem with my '03. Turned out to be the Mass Air Flow Sensor. There was a carbon build up in it. What caused the build up, no-one could figure out. Dealer replaced MAFS and the car was fine.

There could be a great number of things cosing this problem. You can eliminate the plug wires since these are new, everything else could be a suspect. Retrieving the codes is the first place to look. Just fallow the link JUNK posted for instructions on how to retrieve them. Better yet print them out, you will need them as the car gets older.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom