Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 spark plug change?

• Thread starter Thread starter avacorvette
  • Start date Start date
A

avacorvette

Hi
Did a search on changing plugs in a LS1 and just got C3s and C4s anyone have directions on changing C5 plugs?
Thanks

Its a piece of cake , just remove the coil packs where they are in the way , (#8 for example), a little tip also to install the plugs, if your changing the wires to new plug wires , snip off one of the boots of the old wire and use it to put the new plug in, it makes it easier to thread the plug, or if your not changing the wires , get an equivilant size rubber hose that fits snug on the plug(heater hose,pvc hose)

pizzano said:
Its a piece of cake , just remove the coil packs where they are in the way , (#8 for example), a little tip also to install the plugs, if your changing the wires to new plug wires , snip off one of the boots of the old wire and use it to put the new plug in, it makes it easier to thread the plug, or if your not changing the wires , get an equivilant size rubber hose that fits snug on the plug(heater hose,pvc hose)

Thanks, that sounds like a big help:beer

3/8 fuel line works great, I keep a piece of it in my toolbox for just such a job.

I can't imagine removing the coils. I've NEVER needed to.

I just bought the Denso irridiums $112 they better do d#%m well for that price. Anybody know if these are good?

avacorvette said:
I just bought the Denso irridiums $112 they better do d#%m well for that price. Anybody know if these are good?

They are real good but that price isn't
about $5~$6 each GMpartsdirect.com, fred beans, Fichtners

Thanks all. Gonna do it this weekend.
Thanks again
I love this sight!!

avacorvette said:

I've been using Denso Iridium Power IT20s in my C5 for 18 months now. Excellent results.

I also use the same Denso in my Camaro and my Blazer and I use the IT22 in my ZR-1.

Great product! Real engineering behind it, unlike some of the other idiotic stuff on the market like the Bosch Platinum +4.

Hib Halverson said:
I've been using Denso Iridium Power IT20s in my C5 for 18 months now. Excellent results.

I also use the same Denso in my Camaro and my Blazer and I use the IT22 in my ZR-1.

Great product! Real engineering behind it, unlike some of the other idiotic stuff on the market like the Bosch Platinum +4.

Put em (T16) in w/magnacore wires on wed. night. Great throttle responce and no bogging on the line.

That is a great pictorial.

Thanks for the efforts and glad to hear all went well!

With new hotter coils do you have to regap the plugs diffrently? If not how are they an advantige?
P.S.
I'm new to this board and I love it. Jusr bought a 99vert without any manuals and so far I found everything one could ask for on this board, Thanks.

zagger said:
With new hotter coils do you have to regap the plugs diffrently? If not how are they an advantige?
P.S.
I'm new to this board and I love it. Jusr bought a 99vert without any manuals and so far I found everything one could ask for on this board, Thanks.
Hotter coils are only an advantage if you need them for a supercharged or turbo application.
as long as your regular coils are able to fire the plugs there is no advantage,
It either works or it doesn't.

zagger said:
P.S.

Zagger,

Welcome to the CAC. I think you'll find some great folks here - friendly and helpful.

Patrick posted a link to an online manual for each model year but I can't find the darn post! :confused It's great because I was able to save a copy to my computer for referrals. I promise to post it here when I locate it.

:w Jane Ann

XLR8 said:
Patrick posted a link to an online manual for each model year but I can't find the darn post! :confused It's great because I was able to save a copy to my computer for referrals. I promise to post it here when I locate it.

Jane Ann,
I can't take credit for posting that thread originally, but I did make it sticky at the top of the C5 General Discussion forum.

CLICK!
:)

Zagger,
I'll echo Jane Ann in welcoming you to the CAC. This site is a great resource for the Corvette enthusiast! Don't be shy about asking a question, that's what we're here for.

:w
-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom