Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 spark plug change?

• Thread starter Thread starter avacorvette
  • Start date Start date
Thanks Patrick!

I thought I looked there but obviously I didn't!

Jane Ann

Just an FYI for all of you who are thinking about changing your plugs but haven't done it yet. (That was me too until yesterday).
My 2001 QuickSilver Coupe had NGK TR6 plugs in it when I got it last December. I've noticed a slight stumble during idle from time to time so I decided to change the plugs to see if that helps.
I went from the NGK plugs to Delco 41-985 w/ gap of .040

Started at 10:20 AM on driver's side
I pulled both hoses out of the way as shown on this thread. Started on Cyl 1 and moved down to 7 to get some practice on the easy ones before tackling the hard one on cyl 7.
Hardest part was to get plug wires off due to ridged NGK plugs, plugs all out by 11:20. New plugs in and wires back on by 12:20.
I torqued them at 11 ft lbs with a little dab of Mobil 1 on each. This includes time to dig the brake reservoir lid out of the inside of the fender, it gets knocked off easily and wouldn't ya know if fell down in the big hole that's on the driver's side fender.
Passenger's side started at 12:20, completed by 1:40 which includes time to clean up the Mobil 1 I spilled on the garage floor. That stuff is slippery! Slipped right outta my hands!
Total time about 3 hours if you don't count all the cleanup time...

I also checked all the plug wires with an ohm meter:
Plug wire resistance-
1-287 2-269
3-260 4-286
5-278 6-275
7-270 8-261

I've only driven it twice since this work but it does seem to idle and run better.
Save the wave! DocOhm

Took about 3 hrs for me taken my time and cleaning up. Runs real well. Had about 36000 miles on original plugs and wires. AuoZone gave me some anti seze compound because its steel going into aluminum. Great responce.

When should you change your plugs?

Hi guys,
I have a 2000 vette with 42k ok it, when does chevy recommend you change your plugs and plug wires? The car runs great dont want to change unless it says to do so..

Thanks, Bob..

GM says that the spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles. I changed the plug and wire on my 97 at 80k and did not see a big difference. My friend has a 2002 Z06 with 32k miles. The car was not running good between 4,000 and 6,000. I changed the plug and wires. He now says that the car runs perfectly.

There was a problem with some of the early plug. But your car being a 2000, it might be ok. Anyway, if your car is running great, you do not need to replace. Maybe you can wait until your car is 50k.

Tigershark_11 said:
Hi guys,
I have a 2000 vette with 42k ok it, when does chevy recommend you change your plugs and plug wires? The car runs great dont want to change unless it says to do so..

Thanks, Bob..

Don't have to. My plugs were real clean at 39000 miles. I got gift certif and felt that I should. (Denso Iridiums w/Magnacore) I can feel the diff..

Bosch Platinum 4 Plus

I've heard nothing but good things about the Bosch Platinum Plus 4s from this and other forums. I installed them in my 2002 Coupe with only 24,000 miles and honestly can't feel a bit of difference. The adds suggest a 4 HP increase and I suspect either seat of the pants or a dyno pull would have a hard time sensing a difference.

Just an FYI for all of you who are thinking about changing your plugs but haven't done it yet. (That was me too until yesterday).
My 2001 QuickSilver Coupe had NGK TR6 plugs in it when I got it last December. I've noticed a slight stumble during idle from time to time so I decided to change the plugs to see if that helps.
I went from the NGK plugs to Delco 41-985 w/ gap of .040

Started at 10:20 AM on driver's side
I pulled both hoses out of the way as shown on this thread. Started on Cyl 1 and moved down to 7 to get some practice on the easy ones before tackling the hard one on cyl 7.
Hardest part was to get plug wires off due to ridged NGK plugs, plugs all out by 11:20. New plugs in and wires back on by 12:20.
I torqued them at 11 ft lbs with a little dab of Mobil 1 on each. This includes time to dig the brake reservoir lid out of the inside of the fender, it gets knocked off easily and wouldn't ya know if fell down in the big hole that's on the driver's side fender.
Passenger's side started at 12:20, completed by 1:40 which includes time to clean up the Mobil 1 I spilled on the garage floor. That stuff is slippery! Slipped right outta my hands!
Total time about 3 hours if you don't count all the cleanup time...

I also checked all the plug wires with an ohm meter:
Plug wire resistance-
1-287 2-269
3-260 4-286
5-278 6-275
7-270 8-261

I've only driven it twice since this work but it does seem to idle and run better.
Save the wave! DocOhm
I don't know what will happen from attaching to an old thread, but I don't know where to start. I have not heard anything about E3 plugs, but I got a set and replaced the factory plugs and wires yesterday. Now it's running like a dog. Starts like before, idles rough, stumbles through acceleration, bogs down when I stand on it, no good performance whatso ever. I tested the new wires and found three that where open and the rest are in 800+ range. Two of the old wires were destroyed during removal. So I reinstalled the 6 that originals, that tested 300-380 range, with 2 of the new that Ohmed out in the 800's.

I am going back to the parts store to get a new set of wires and see if that fixes it. If not I will run the can a bit and start reading plugs. My initial thought was the gapping was incorrect, but all the reading I have done, leads me to believe its not necessary.

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Zagger,

Welcome to the CAC. I think you'll find some great folks here - friendly and helpful.

Patrick posted a link to an online manual for each model year but I can't find the darn post! :confused It's great because I was able to save a copy to my computer for referrals. I promise to post it here when I locate it.

:w Jane Ann

Fact of Life:
cid:1.3277431456@web84207.mail.re3.yahoo.com

After Monday and Tuesday...
even the calendar says

W T F.

I just bought the Denso irridiums $112 they better do d#%m well for that price. Anybody know if these are good?

Denso Iridium Power plugs is what I use in my 04. IT-20 is the one I use. In fact, I have Densos in every car I own...3 Vettes, the Camaro and the Blazer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom