Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 telescopic steering column problems

atlonnett

Corvette
2003 anniversary red conv
The motor does not run on my C5 2003 telescopic steering column. I’ve already run the soft resets but all I hear is a click. I then removed the drive cable from actuator and then the motor runs freely from the switch. I assume there is something stuck in the actuator, but I’m not sure. Does anyone have an exploded view of the steering column and actuator?

728F6EC9-D075-4BDE-9C81-296BE2B455F6.pngE4FBF6A6-818C-41C4-841C-582C99C2CE66.png
I was able to find these images of the Telescopic drive mechanism. It appears to be attached to the steering column with male torx bolts, so I’ll need to buy some female torx sockets before I attempt to remove it.

In my original post, I indicated that after removing the drive cable, the telescopic steering column motor runs freely from the switch. Actually, it only runs “out” freely, it will NOT run “in” freely from the switch.

I then disconnected car power to motor and actuator and supplied an independent 12 volt source to the motor. The column then moved “in” and “out” freely by reversing the leads to the motor, so drive motor and actuator seem ok. The column switch also tested ok.

I then pulled drivers seat, disconnected the car battery and found that black wire “B” in the Blue connector had no continuity through the connector. I repaired the connector for a good contact, but it did not fix the problem. The column will still NOT go “in” using the switch. I am now showing DTC SCM Code B2860H, whereas, it showed B2860HC before repairing the black wire in the Blue connector. Obviously my repair to the connector is good by no longer indicating “C” in the DTC code. I’m recharging the car battery now. Does anybody have other suggestions where to look?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom