Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS

rlvincent

I recently purchased a '99 C5. I would like to purchase new wheels, but I am told the sensors should be replaced because of age...... $400.00 to $500.00? Can the the tire sensor software on the car be programmed to eliminate the tire sensors???

The tire pressure sensors for the 2001 are more expensove than the 2002 and newer. GM does not track the battery life in their TPS, so you may buy a "pig in a poke" from GM and have the batteries fail soon after they are installed. I understand that Napa tracks their battery installation and guarantees them, so you may want to buy from them. One of the CAC sponsors, Corvette Center, can get them for you if can't get them yourself. Rik at Corvette Center says they work with the GM system, and you can replace all 4 of them or individually, and since they work independently, you can use both GM and Napa at the same time. I plan to use Napa once mine go out or when I change to M Pilots. I believe the 2001s will cost about $100 each.
Barrett

i have bought 2 tire pressure sensors on ebay. that was last year and( knock on wood) still working great. i payed less than 50$ for both:D

What is the average life expectancy of the tire pressure sensor batteries?

I bought a '99 Corvette convertible in August 2007. I replaced the OEM TPMS batteries about 6 months ago. I dug out the old batteries and bought new ones at Batteries Plus. I used silicon to "repot" the batteries and reprogrammed the sensor once the silicon was cured. Worked out great for less than $50 for all four tires.

CG

What is the average life expectancy of the tire pressure sensor batteries?

7-10 years depending on use, but I have 10+ years on 3 of mine. I would wait for them to go bad to replace them. The part can be expensive, but the labor is cheap if done at a tire store and not at a GM service dealer. Tire stores can replace and program for very little labor ($$ cost to the customer), as it is an easy operation to perform. A GM dealer will usually charge you diag time, R&R time, and program time to do the same thing.

Can the the tire sensor software on the car be programmed to eliminate the tire sensors???
Yes. You'll need someone with a Tech 2 to program the BCM like a Z06 (which came w/o sensors). Conversely, the same procedure can be used in reverse to enable the function on a Z06.

The tire pressure sensors for the 2001 are more expensove than the 2002 and newer. GM does not track the battery life in their TPS, so you may buy a "pig in a poke" from GM and have the batteries fail soon after they are installed. I understand that Napa tracks their battery installation and guarantees them, so you may want to buy from them. One of the CAC sponsors, Corvette Center, can get them for you if can't get them yourself. Rik at Corvette Center says they work with the GM system, and you can replace all 4 of them or individually, and since they work independently, you can use both GM and Napa at the same time. I plan to use Napa once mine go out or when I change to M Pilots. I believe the 2001s will cost about $100 each.
Barrett

Barrett, I think the change came in 01, as the 01-04's are clumped together and the 97-00 are grouped as one.

You can somehow reprogram the older C5 to accept the newer cheaper sensors.
I don't think so. It has to match the BCM, which is dictated by the model year range of the vette in question... and there is no provision in the Tech 2 for mating a different BCM to the PCM.

Tire Sensors

I have a hard time trying to justify to myself spending $Hundreds$ on tire pressure sensors on a car 10 years old. I have a tire gauge, and a compressor in my garage????

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom