Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Vert Question...

B17Crew

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
I’m looking at C5 verts and have a question about what year the C5 had the additional sound damping material added to the headliner in the convertible top.

Any help would be appreciated.

B17Crew
:w

I, too, believe it was 2001 that the material was added for additional soundproofing;however, I have a 2000 vert, and the road noise isn't that objectionalble. Much depends on road surface and outside temperature. I wouldn't let the concern for possible road and/ or wind noise prevent me from considering earlier C5 models. The differences are negligible and the enjoyment and price differentials can far outweigh any negative impact. Ron

Thank you 6 Shooter and ron,

I figured the noise isn’t too bad, especially in a C5 (I’m familiar with C4 coupes).

I had recently learned material was added to the C5 top, I could not find any info on what year it was added. If I take the plunge, the top is going to be down all of the time anyway! ;)

Thanks for your help.

B17Crew

I am hanging onto the LT4. One day, I’d like to enter it in judged shows (when work slows down). Since July, I’ve been detailing it with Q-Tips (no joke), frame and all.

I’m up in the air at the moment on what I’d like to add in the open stall. I have my name on a list at McDormans so I can have first dibs on any Competition Yellow LT4 verts should one come in on trade. Although... I saw a red ’90 ZR-1 go by my office today that made me stare at it till it disappeared from sight. McDormans has an 18,000 mile red ZR-1 sitting on their lot right now and it’s reasonably priced :W

Basically, the right car has to come along ;)

B17Crew

I have a late 2000 MY Vert and it has the additional sound deadening and it's very quiet, almost as good as the C-5 coupe I had previously.

Green2000 said:
I have a late 2000 MY Vert and it has the additional sound deadening and it's very quiet, almost as good as the C-5 coupe I had previously.

Thank you Green2000,

That’s actually a gauge for me to go by.

I test drove two C5 coupes and had noticed that there’s an audible difference between C4 and C5 coupes. The C5 was noticeably more “hushed” compared to my C4. I had also noticed the more miles on a C5, the more comfortable the seats seem to be. One of the coupes (both equipped with sport seats) had 5K miles and the other 15K. Must be that the leather has loosened up and is broken in.

B17Crew

I had a 96 Convertible prior to the 2 C-5's and that one was much noisier as it had no sound deadening material at all.

Thanks Green2000, I appreciate the info, I may take a look at a few cars this weekend after I finish up a white water rafting course. I may go look at the ZR-1 at McDormans -- my first time looking at a Z. :D

B17Crew

Ron H said:
What is a reasonable price for the ZR1?

Well, I now know that McDormans is closed on Sundays. It pays to call first before you travel.

They have a red on red ’90 ZR-1 with 18,000 miles on it. From the photos on their site, it appears to be a car worth looking at. It’s listed at $27,900. I don’t know if any paperwork or original materials go with the car, that would be a major factor, documentation.

B17Crew

We have an '02 convertible with the extra padding and it's quieter than our '99 coupe. I think it was improved in '01.

vetmaniac said:
We have an '02 convertible with the extra padding and it's quieter than our '99 coupe. I think it was improved in '01.

I’m amazed that some of you have had the same comments on the verts being as quiet, or, just as quiet as coupes. The C5 vert can actually be a good long distance car. With a trunk and the quiet cabin, it’s one heck of a tourer!

Thanks for the input vetmaniac.

B17Crew

B17,

Just wanted to Thank You for recommending Corvette Care in Columbus. I called and spoke to Lloyd. I had a couple of questions about the car and such and he was very helpful. I told him about the car's history and he knows my car!! He told me to bring it in and he would put it on the computer for no charge. It has a backfire when I downshift. He said probably normal for that car with the Corsa exhaust, but better safe than sorry! I told him I heard about him here at CAC and he really brightened up. That really made me feel great to know there is someone pretty close I can take the car to.

Anyway, Thanks for the suggestion!!:beer

koolaid117,

You are in good hands with Lloyd. The guy is AMAZING. He has an incredible background to boot that you’ll have to ask him about...

He’s a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, the guy is sharp, he’s not your average Mr. Goodwrench. He’s flown something like 262 combat missions, (can’t remember the exact number). I think he was also authorized to carry nuclear warheads. His wingman was the, John McCain (Arizona Senator).

You’ll have to ask him about his past, I didn't want to leave his shop because his stories are fascinating. This is all beside the point though. I don’t think there is a more honest and knowledgeable Corvette service provider in the Columbus area.

I had him put new Goodyear Eagle GSCs on my LT4 last spring, he applied custom camber and caster settings that I’m really happy with. The factory settings are not as nice as what he dials in. Other service performed was:
-Clean and flush the radiator
-Replace tranny fluid
-Replace differential fluid
-Install new fuel filter

I’m going to be heading back to have him drop in new OEM headlights that I’ve had stored away for a while. My left one is starting to “yellow”.

One last thing, if the previous owner of your ZR-1 was taking it to Corvette Care for servicing, hang onto to it! For a Corvette owner to take their car there, they were giving the Corvette the best service Columbus has to offer.

B17Crew

June 2005 Corvette Fever...

koolaid117,
Lloyds shop is listed in Corvette Fevers 100+ Corvette Shops: Who Can You Trust?

Nice thing about being listed is that customers have recommended his shop, it’s not a paid listing.

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom