Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 vs. C6: A German Comparison

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From: http://www.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/www.sport1.de/Sportarten/Motorvision/Auto/News/Sonstige/Meldungen/Corvette__mel.html

Corvette C6 meets on Corvette C5

t.gif
The American dream of the sports car goes into the sixth generation. The new one is the strongest series Corvette of all times.

t.gif
4x306x153x1,property=original.jpg

While the Corvette is very successful in America with 35.000 permissions per year, annually only 1200 customers decide for the American sports car dream in Europe. Straight one in Germany hangs the Corvette still the call of the red light environment after. In addition sports car fans really do not notice the American V8-Monster as competition to Porsche and Co.. Not least therefore the current Corvette in the comparison to the C5 shrinks by 13.5 centimeters and is 2.5 centimeters narrower. Since the wheel base increased at the same time, the Corvette promises driving fun purely. More than ever the C6 is a genuine competitor for the Porsche 911.

8x306x153x1,property=original.jpg
t.gif

Drive

The C6 with its LS2-Smallblock-V8 with 6 litres capacity carries 404 HP and thus for 60 HP out more than the C5. Thus the C6 is the strongest series Corvette of all times. After 4.2 seconds speed 100 is reached, the maximum speed amounts to 300 km/h. On our motorway test we had to break off however with Tacho 290. Otherwise the Americans quarterly mile values (approx. 400 m) measure. The Corvette masters in 12.6 seconds and reaches thereby 183 km/h. In addition also the low w-Wert of 0,28 contributes.

The power transmission takes over a six-course transmission. In order to bear the continuous stress at continuously high speeds, it is equipped with an additional radiator. The circuit required very much energy expenditure and the central position of the courses is somewhat undefined. After a few hours one got accustomed however to it. The C5 in the test is equipped with the straight four-course mechanism very popular in Europe. It promotes the cosy Cruisen, since one always untertourig on the way is. The C5 answers everyone steps on the pedal with a deep Donnergrollen and propulsion without end. Torque is even by nothing to replaced. That keeps in track on 100 takes with 4.7 seconds a half second longer, than in the C6. In practice this is hardly to be felt. With 274 Km/h is conclusion with the propulsion. This speed resembles however then rather the ride on a cannon ball. The body distorts itself, the folding headlights wackeln in the wind and transverse grooves becomes the natural enemy of the C5. Here one notices the difference to the new Corvette very clearly. The C6 does not lie like the proverbial board and Highspeedorgien is a problem.

t.gif
6x306x153x1,property=original.jpg

Design

Optically the new Corvette in contrast to the C5 works already nearly delicate. Past are the times of the sharp-edged maximumism. One would remove the vehicle identification plates could the C6 smoothly as new creation from Maranello go through. The folding headlights disappeared and the xenon lights are under mandelfoermigen clear glass covers, which remind 360 Modena much of the Ferrari. Altogether the C6 seems to orient itself much at the European taste. Thus also here challenge at Porsche and Co. Remained the fat steep-sloping tail with the four individual taillights and the four thick final pipes, which are framed now by a diffuser.
The missing clarity remains likewise unchanged. Width of vehicle and lengthens can be only measured and it requires already some days, if not even weeks, until one receives a feeling for the size. With the C6 folds then already completely well, but in the C5 becomes fast overhauling of a truck in a motorway construction place the adventure.

8x306x153x1,property=original.jpg
t.gif

Interior

In the interior a true quantum transition carries out itself. Here the C6 seems not only a generation over the C5, but at least three. The living room armchair of the old Corvette, which offer nevertheless amazingly much side stop, sporty variants yielded. Remained the extensive adjustment possibilities. While in the old person humans arrive over 1.90 meters so slowly at the borders of available space, the new place in covering and abundance offers. The entire cockpit, against surcharge also equipped with DVD navigation, works many high-quality than that the C5. nothing knarzt and knirscht, the buttons for the extensive functions of on board computer and CO is well attainable all and flows a breath of Hightech. In the C5 works against it all somewhat cheaply. The standard Headup display indicates the most important information with both models, like number of revolutions and speed. Particularly nicely it is with the old Corvette however, if the display jumps back with 200 to 0 and one is then with maximum speed according to Tacho with 74 Km/h on the left trace on the way.

t.gif
6x306x152x1,property=original.jpg

The display of the C6 offers three different Designs, "Rennbahn1", "Rennbahn2" and "road", whereby with the two running attitudes also a g-Force-measurer is faded in, that indicates transverse acceleration in curves. Nice plaything.
Both Vetten together: The gigantic trunk. In the C6 Coupé offers over 600 litres reservoir. There so some sedan cannot keep up.

0x306x153x1,property=original.jpg
t.gif

Chassis

In the C6 stretch three chassis control systems, ABS, ASR and Active handling an unobstrusive safety net, without spoiling for the driver the fun. In the chassis attitude "this system even Drifts permit sporty driving". Only, if it really comes to uncontrolled breaking out, electronics intervenes. Driving fun with safety net. The frontier quits itself at and with something exercise can early the most beautiful Drifts on the parquet be put.
Differently the C5. straight line the mechanism version is to be particularly enjoyed on wet roads with caution. If one gives too much gas, the tail in close curves abruptly and without announcement can develop an independent existence. Drift are here recommended only Koennern.

t.gif
2x306x153x1,property=original.jpg

Drive into the Corvette C6

The C6 can really move everyone. It is completely everyday life suited. The V8 bollert unobstrusively, only under full load he roars vehement into the landscape. Despite the enormous capacity the engine is greedy after number of revolutions. Straight one in the upper speed range goes it vehement forward and zaubert a Grinsen in the face of the steering wheel. The Corvette is content with quicker pace with 12 to 13 litres of super on average on 100 kilometers. Full power motorway stages strike naturally with 25 to 30 litres to beech. Chassis, steering element and brakes feel now finally also into the Corvette sportwagenlike. Hard and directly it happens. Only the steering wheel could be somewhat smaller.

Drive into the Corvette C5

The C5 roars louder from its four final pipes. The chassis is straight at high speeds not much confidence-arousing. For the Cruisen the mechanism is suitable perfectly, only the course changes takes place sometimes somewhat without motivation and hard. Also the C5 is completely everyday life suited, but because of its size of straight in close large cities very habituation-needily. In consumption it lies in the everyday life enterprise on identical level with the C6. humans those in the traffic to really be noticeable wants, is well served with these Corvette.

0x306x155x1,property=original.jpg
t.gif

Result

The difference between two directly following each other model rows was so large rarely. The C6 became finite a genuine and above all serious sports car. Finally not only power pure, but also the fitting technology. And for approximately 61,000 euro it is a genuine good deal. More favorably one cannot come at 400 HP packed in a sports car. To the comparison, the normal Porsche 911 with 325 HP costs already 75,000 euro.

t.gif
4x306x153x1,property=original.jpg

Technical data:

Corvette C5 "50th anniversary": Achtzylinder v engine, capacity 5665 ccm, achievement 253 KW (344 HP) with 5400/min, max. Torque 483 Nm with 4200/min, length x broad x height of 4565 x 1869 x 1211 mm, unloaded weight 1458 kg, price 2002 65,500 euro

Corvette C6: Achtzylinder v engine, capacity 5967 ccm, achievement 297 KW (404 HP) with 6000/min, max. Torque 546 Nm with 4400/min, length x broad x height of 4435 x 1844 x 1246 mm, unloaded weight 1442 kg, price 61,650 euro

Christian Becker

There is no doubt that the Corvette has the racing bona fides. Winner at Le Mans and Sebring, and extraordinarily fast lap times on the Nurburgring. With the dollar so weak there is no reason why this car should not sell like crazy in Europe. There is no car in the world that offers more performance per $ or per Euro. But as you know, for some reason this car sells for a much higher price in Europe than in the USA. That says something about "free markets". The European markets are not very open to imports. I just bought my C6 in Chicago at the equiv of 36000 Euros, you quote 61000 Euro ($80,000?). In Europe the C6 is going for a much higher price and it is not just due to transportation costs. It is interesting that my cost for a 2003 Porsche Boxster S is about the same as what a 2005 Boxster would cost today in the USA. This is despite a huge increase in the Euro versus the $. If the C5 and the C6 sold in Europe for what they sell for in the US, plus transportation cost, they would demolish the sales of European performance cars. I suspect that we have a situation where the ECU is attempting to protect its domestic market and this is only one small example. The free trade only flows one way, i.e. to the USA. It is unfortunate that European car fans cannot enjoy the C6 at the same price we pay in the USA.

Is it just me, or are too many of the sentences just plain jibberish? German jibberish?

The writer is not a native English speaker...give him a break. My German translation would be much worse. But his point is that the C6 is a good car and he is looking at it based on current European prices, i.e. $80,000 for a C6. These poor Europeans could not imagine getting a car like the C6 for 36,000 Euros ($47,000). Somehow US cars wind up being more expensive in Europe despite the huge fall in the dollar, while European car prices in the US are virtually unchanged. The price difference is not transportation cost, it is the cost of selling into a protected market that boosts the price of a $47,000 C6 in the USA, to over $80,000 in Europe. That says a lot about free trade and open markets, its a one way street. Pity the car buff in Germany who has to pay $80,000 to buy one of the best sports cars in the world, the same car we get for a lot less.

That was entertaining... although my head now hurts from deciphering the authors write up. :L

B17Crew
:w

The article looks like a straight German-to-English Google translation.

The funny thing about the prices is that from what I have been told (by Germans) is that they (the Germans) charge as much as they can for their own cars as well. I don't think a BMW or Porsche costs much more over here than over there. Add in the taxes on an $80,000 corvette and it certainly limits its appeal.

I was in Germany for 4 days in November and I recall seeing 1 Corvette, a C5. Saw many Porsches. BMWs, Mercedes, etc. are all common place.

Chad.

Amazing to charge the locals the same amount or near it, wouldn’t have guessed that.

Just curious...

How many of Porsches sports car line, 911s and Boxters (not including the Porsche SUV) are sold here in the U.S.

B17Crew
:w

One of the reasons that prices may appear higher in Europe is that prices there usually include the VAT (value added tax -- sort of a national sales tax). I think this applies to big-ticket items like cars as well as everyday items. The rate in the UK is about 17.5%.

European friend who visit are often surprised to pick up an item in a store here and then find that the actual price is higher when the tax is added on at checkout. In Europe, the shelf price of an item already includes the tax. I suspect this is the case with car prices as well.

cklotzle said:
The article looks like a straight German-to-English Google translation....

I agree. The writer actually writes quite well in his native language -- which happens to be German.

What you're reading is a "googled" translation.

Basically, the article says the C6 is finally a world class sports car, when compared to the C5, and compares favorably to the Porsche 911.

Ich mag den Blick des Porsche 911 in meinem rearview Spiegel. Ich habe
eine geänderte Korvette Z06, also bin ich in Richtung zur Korvette
irgendwie voreingenommen. ;)

Translation:
I like the view of a Porsche of 911 in my rearview mirrors. I have a
Corvette Z06, therefore I am somehow partial toward to the
corvette.

lehew said:
One of the reasons that prices may appear higher in Europe is that prices there usually include the VAT (value added tax -- sort of a national sales tax). I think this applies to big-ticket items like cars as well as everyday items. The rate in the UK is about 17.5%.

European friend who visit are often surprised to pick up an item in a store here and then find that the actual price is higher when the tax is added on at checkout. In Europe, the shelf price of an item already includes the tax. I suspect this is the case with car prices as well.

That is true, but it still does not explain an $80K Corvette. If you take a $50K Corvette and add a 20% VAT, that is only $60K!

One of the reasons for the higher price of C5's in Europe at least is that they come with a higher level of standard equipment. Z51 suspension was standard as was 1SC. Z06 brake calipers were also standard. About the only options you had to choose from was the glass roof, 12disc changer and body side moulding. I would have to check my Italian brochure to be positive.

Taking into account the exchange rate and adding the tax certainly makes the price much higher in Europe. However if you assume an exchange rate of approximately 1 to 1 and take off the tax, the price really isn't that much different for the amount of standard equipment.

One further thing, only black and white are no cost paint colors in Europe. All other colors are considered premium paint colors.

The point is that the Euro is now valued at $1.32. I was in Europe in 2002, the Euro was $.90. You can't assume a 1 to 1 rate, it does not exist any longer. A Euro is now $1.32, so the current exchange rate is .76 Euro's per Dollar. The fact is that the Euro has appreciated against the dollar by 40% over the last year or so. This should make the Corvette much cheaper for the European buyer, but apparently that is not the case according to the article. Corvettes fully loaded with all options should be dirt cheap to Europeans right now but for some reason they are not. No one seems to be able to explain the $80K European Corvette!

The reason I said assume a 1 to 1 exchange rate is that when the rate WAS that good, Corvettes cost the same over here in Euros; approximately 60,000. And with the favorable exchange rate the actual price in dollars was lower of course.

My point is that the price in Euros has remained about the same regardless of the exchange rate.

It is the same as buying a German car in the US. Prices have not really been affected by the decrease of the dollar. A $50,000 BMW still costs about $50,000 even with the lower value of the dollar. It has not risen to $80,000 over the past 2 to 3 years.

But, your point is taken.

Prices of BMW's, Porsches, etc. have remained the same in the US despite the fall in the dollar because the European car companies hedged their $ exposure using currency hedges. They saw the dollar fall coming and protected themselves. Those currency hedges are now running off and US prices of European imports will likely rise. If the price of a Corvette in Europe has not fallen in Euros despite the fall in the dollar, it reflects a market that is not completely efficient, i.e. dealers are maintaining the old Euro price to grab excess profits.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom