Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5's In The Snow

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Yesterday I was at a restaurant in Nashua, NH where I witnessed the reason you should not drive a Corvette in a snowstorm. The restaurant sits on hill and the parking lot has a sharp decline. I observed a C5 come into the lot (headed downhill) and make an attempt to turn hard right and park. The car did a slow spin and then slid off the end of the paved parking area. Within a minute another C5 showed up. At this point the two guys and their dates are all out of the the cars trying to figure out what to do about Corvette #1 in the weeds.

When I came out of the restaurant Corvette #2 driver and I pushed Corvette #1 while the owner rocked it back onto the pavement. Both drivers decided to go to another restaurant that had a "level" parking area. This ment that both Corvettes now had to drive up hill to exit the lot. When my wife and I left both Corvettes were still struggling to get to the exit at the top of the driveway. There's a lesson here someplace.

Remo:cool

NOTE: While helping these guys, one of their girl friends noticed I had a Corvette logo on my jacket. She said "oh where's yours"? Unbelievable!

The forecast for Denver today is for snow. (This, mind you, comes after a nice 60 degree day of sun yesterday.)

I have to agree: with all the rear wheel torque these cars produce, and as light as they are, anything that interferes with traction is bad news.

One of the reasons I like Colorado is that even though we do get snows here, they never stick on the ground very long. The climate is dry and relatively warm. Generally, within a day of the snow ending, the roads are clear of it. Of course, you have to deal with the thaw and re-freeze of the melting snow for a while- but even that's only patchy and intermittent, and bridges are to be avoided.

It's the "during" the snowfall part that's the problem. :eyerole

-Patrick

Just got back into snow country and the first thing i noticed was a c-5 vert covered with slush and salt plus heavy sand on the roads.It sometimes makes me sad that one of the finest autos in the world end up in the hands of people who are so callus.

vett boy said:
Just got back into snow country and the first thing i noticed was a c-5 vert covered with slush and salt plus heavy sand on the roads.It sometimes makes me sad that one of the finest autos in the world end up in the hands of people who are so callus.

there is a 02 near me that i see ever winter, I swear is see's more road time in the snow than any other time of the year, its dark green but by January you would think that is was white, it hurts me to see them being abused like that.

I guess it all depends on where you live and how you feel about it.In the northeast we have acid snow in addition to sale and tons of sand .Acid snow can leave water spots on the finish .

OMG there is sanity amongst Vette owners. I am so tired of reading about and seeing pics of THE CARS out in the snow, salt and elements. It pains me to see these cars being treated that way. I am so happy to have read all these posts NOT advocating winter Vette driving :)

same here,my vette was in the rain two times in three years i will take a cab before driving her in the snow.......:Steer

I have a special built snow plow for the front of mine. My neighbors love me! With all that torque you should see how much snow I can push! Woooooodoggees!!!!!

Remo - Remember yesterday when you & Paula came to visit and I said my plow truck is being worked on? Thanks for letting me store your vert at my house during the winter - I'm all set now!
remoplow

:w
Guy

remoplow

Hey - this attachment may come in handy when we drive it out to Lingenfelter Performance Engineering in March.

coolhandluke said:
For all of you that drive your vettes in the Snow Your Nutzz!!!!!!!:crazy :crazy :L

Patrick - I think you've expressed the conventional mindset on the subject. But then there's always guys like the ones I wrote about at the start of this thread.

coolhandluke said:
Some people work many years of hard work to be able to own and drive a vette, and there or those that treat a corvette like any other car, Which is fine, it's thier money. I would only buy a Corvette that has never tasted the Snow and all that bad salt they put on most of the roads. Just thinking about the detailing you would have to do after one drove his vette in the Snow would drive me. :crazy Thats what a beater car is for. or a good Pick up or SUV.

Very well said! :D THE CAR DESERVES to be treated special :0
PS-the post with the Vette Snow plow is too darn funny!

Guy said:
Remo - Remember yesterday when you & Paula came to visit and I said my plow truck is being worked on? Thanks for letting me store your vert at my house during the winter - I'm all set now!
remoplow

Guy

Guy,

I need to get a list of the parts you used on the plow. I could do the same to 6 Shooters vette. :D
On second thought if I did that it would only give Remo and 6 Shooter a reason to start another thread on which color snow plow was better. :L

C5 CRZN said:
Guy,

I need to get a list of the parts you used on the plow. I could do the same to 6 Shooters vette. :D
On second thought if I did that it would only give Remo and 6 Shooter a reason to start another thread on which color snow plow was better. :L

I don't remember seeing too many quicksilver plows. ;LOL

Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom