Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C6 2005

garylt

Corvette
2005 Corvette, Black 6 speed Coupe
2005 C6 throws up random warning, service soon, low fuel, anti-lock brakes abs lights, shocks inoperative, and more. Then you can shut it off and sometimes it will go away. And sometimes it will come back.

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Do you have the 2005 Service Manual?

Possible Bad battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, sounds like a likely place to start! These cars are really dependent upon a good battery.

Yup, sounds like a likely place to start! These cars are really dependent upon a good battery.

Yup! Experienced it me self! Battery was all good starting my car, but it did sound weak- weird things started happening. I replaced with a new battery and that took care of the dash giving me warning lights (active handling, service tire monitor, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll vote battery also .My strategy is if the car sets for 7 days put a tender on it ,if stored in the winter disconnect .Also every few years I get a new battery and put the old battery in my wife's car .I don't fully explain this process to my wife but she gets excited that I'm concerned about her well being .She also believes the car runs much better after I change the oil .

I'll vote battery also .My strategy is if the car sets for 7 days put a tender on it ,if stored in the winter disconnect .Also every few years I get a new battery and put the old battery in my wife's car .I don't fully explain this process to my wife but she gets excited that I'm concerned about her well being .She also believes the car runs much better after I change the oil .

You sir are a saint........:)

Suggest you NOT disconnect battery if you have a GPS clock in there. :thumb

Suggest you NOT disconnect battery if you have a GPS clock in there. :thumb

Well Ted this has long been a debatable issue .I worked at Bowling Green and I asked engineering what were the thoughts pertaining to this issue .Yes it may require indexing windows and a couple other items but that's it .In some of the C5 and C6 owner manuals disconnect for long term storage is recommended .

Well Ted this has long been a debatable issue .I worked at Bowling Green and I asked engineering what were the thoughts pertaining to this issue .Yes it may require indexing windows and a couple other items but that's it .In some of the C5 and C6 owner manuals disconnect for long term storage is recommended .
The GPS clock issue has nothing to do with long-term storage, indexing windows, reprogramming radio, or anything else like that. If you have a GPS clock, and maybe you don't, and your vehicle is less than a 2011 I believe, you will lose your clock permanently if you disconnect the battery from the system. Are you aware of the situation? If you have no GPS system or a more modern one in your Vette, then not to worry.

Every year since 2003 I drive my corvette from Maine to Florida and place it in a self storage near the Orlando airport .I disconnect the battery until I fly down a couple times a month connect the battery and away I go .I would guess my 08 has been disconnected 30 or more times and other than indexing no problems .

So your saying if someone changes out a battery or service requires a disconnect your clock is toast .Every one who owns a C5 or C6 on this forum has disconnect the battery for one reason or another .

I'm not egging on ya but please explain how you plan to replace the battery when it's time for replacement without disconnecting .

Last edited:
Every year since 2003 I drive my corvette from Maine to Florida and place it in a self storage near the Orlando airport .I disconnect the battery until I fly down a couple times a month connect the battery and away I go .I would guess my 08 has been disconnected 30 or more times and other than indexing no problems .

So your saying if someone changes out a battery or service requires a disconnect your clock is toast .Every one who owns a C5 or C6 on this forum has disconnect the battery for one reason or another .

I'm not egging on ya but please explain how you plan to replace the battery when it's time for replacement without disconnecting .

Not trying to get in the middle too much, but there are memory savers than can be plugged into the OBD2 port to save memory in the computers while changing out the battery.

Also I have read about problems with owners losing their clock after disconnecting the battery in certain model C6's. I believe there might be a post on this site about it.

Ok I'm done. No offense intended.

Not trying to get in the middle too much, but there are memory savers than can be plugged into the OBD2 port to save memory in the computers while changing out the battery.

Also I have read about problems with owners losing their clock after disconnecting the battery in certain model C6's. I believe there might be a post on this site about it.

Ok I'm done. No offense intended.
None taken ,so I will except possibly being half wrong .:)

vett boy,

When was the last time you disconnected your battery on your C6? I am not trying to be facetious, just helpful. If you have done this since, say mid-to-late December 2018 to present, and you still have your GPS clock, then you are blessed because there are thousands of folks with C6's between 2005 and 2011 who have disconnected their battery and now have no GPS clock, and this includes those who have had GM dealer's do their disconnects before GM knew there was a problem. If you read up you will find that the problem was most probably caused by the Air Force, who controls all GPS satellites, changing the clock download signal to a higher "bit" value. I'm just trying to save you a major pain. I am going to attach here, a thread where you can read all about this on-going problem. Let us know what you think. Oh, and LLC5 has a post just below that indicates that there is a way to disconnect your battery safely. My brother, a certified ASE, uses a rather older device that plugs into the lighter/12vdc socket to maintain a low voltage for short times while the battery is disconnected to replace the battery, work on air bag systems, etc. This device also will obviously maintain power to your GPS clock. Okay, those of you who know about this problem, please chip in to help those who may not know.

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Last edited:
vett boy,

When was the last time you disconnected your battery on your C6? I am not trying to be facetious, just helpful. If you have done this since, say mid-to-late December 2018 to present, and you still have your GPS clock, then you are blessed because there are thousands of folks with C6's between 2005 and 2011 who have disconnected their battery and now have no GPS clock, and this includes those who have had GM dealer's do their disconnects before GM knew there was a problem. If you read up you will find that the problem was most probably caused by the Air Force, who controls all GPS satellites, changing the clock download signal to a higher "bit" value. I'm just trying to save you a major pain. I am going to attach here, a thread where you can read all about this on-going problem. Let us know what you think. Oh, and LLC5 has a post just below that indicates that there is a way to disconnect your battery safely. My brother, a certified ASE, uses a rather older device that plugs into the lighter/12vdc socket to maintain a low voltage for short times while the battery is disconnected to replace the battery, work on air bag systems, etc. This device also will obviously maintain power to your GPS clock. Okay, those of you who know about this problem, please chip in to help those who may not know.

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Yes, I still have those old style accessory port 9V/12V battery memory savers also, but didn't want to bring it up because they don't always work and some vehicles have an ignition on only accessory port. I have found OBD2 memory savers to be much more reliable. :)

Yes Ted evidently there has been an issue that I was not aware of .I spent a couple hours last eve and will spend some time for my own benefit .At what I gather so far it may have been a time period and not an on going issue .

Time period yes. As for me, I lost my clock around 12/18/18 after disconnecting my battery to install new seat covers in my '07 vert. A few days later I started snooping around the web trying to figure out what went haywire. If you check this site under the heading, Technical and Performance, Subject: '07 C6 Clock Not Working, you will see where I first posted my problem. I've done a ton of research since then and found most posts on this subject on the site I quoted to you earlier. This problem is not just for C6's as I have found hundreds of posts by owners of Honda, Acura, as well and GM vehicles and trucks, all in the 2005-2011 model year period. The common denominator is that they all use the Nippon Denso GPS head unit. It is very strange that a few C6 owners have stated that their GPS clocks have mysteriously returned to service, although their year dates were still hosed up. Most have complained that the GPS Active/Inactive icon on their GPS screens are lined through as well, with some line-through's disappearing after a while, but GPS's working fine whether the GPS icon is lined through or not. A few have stated that they also lost their GPS tracking for good. As for mine, yes I have the line-through for maybe 10 minutes after turning on the GPS, then the line-through disappears, but the GPS tracks from the get-go anyway. Other than the time, the GPS has, obviously, lost its ability to "time of arrival" because it uses the clock time to calculate this.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom