Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C6 air filter

Dad

Corvette
15Gray/8sp 72Blk/Blk4Spd 64Red/Red/Wht4spd
While I was changing the air filters on the C6 I got a bit of a surprise. The old and the new filters were constructed differently. The one on the left (old) is Purolator A35591, the other (new) is WIX 42821. Not sure which way to have the vanes located to air flow for best filter/flow results so thought I'd ask for opinions.

For those of you that are not familiar with the C6 breather the air would be flowing towards the middle from both the top and the bottom of filters as positioned in this picture.

Attachments

• c6filter.jpg
    c6filter.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 92
Since the airflow is straight thru, the pleat direction change will be negligible.

EDIT~ Sorry, I thought it was the cabin filter.

For those not familiar with the C6 breather the air would be flowing towards the middle from both the top and the bottom of filters as positioned in the picture. That would require a 90 degree turn from both air flow directions. How do you get a straight through air flow from that? One would have the air rippling over the pleats and the other one would be flowing into the creases. It looks to me as though a straight through air flow can not happen, what am I missing here? :confused :confused

I pulled the AC air filter from my 08 LS3 engine last Monday and it is quite different than the one you show for your 05. Mine is oval and about 3 inches thick. The owners manual said to change it at 50K miles. I checked with a local world class tech for chevy on Monday and he told me to change it when it was dirty or follow the manual. I haven't priced it yet at the dealer nor have I determined if an aftermarket air filter is available.
Barrett

You're correct on your filter, they changed to a bigger single unit in '08 and they also bumped the price up to about $90. The pair for my '05 was $19. They also changed the part numbers on those used in the '05 through '07 three times. When I purchased my first set they were different and carried the same number.

As a side note check your cabin filter, I'm on my third one as it seems to collect more trash than the air filters.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom