Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Brake Roters

Ken88C4convt

Corvette
1988 red corvette convertable
Just bought a 2008 Jetstream Blue Convt,30k miles,Great shape has the Z51 package,also the 3LT package along with the Chrome Wheels,Paddle Shift,Dual Mode Exhaust,Great Car,Now for my question? Notice alot of Rust on the Brake Roters,Car still under warranty, Went to a chevy dealer,We did not buy the car there,Questioned the rust, His responce Steel Rusts To Bad,Has any one come across this problem and had the roters replaced under Warranty

Thanks Ken,

The rotors are uncoated steel. They will rust very quickly in a high humidity environment. Mine rust as I am washing my car. All it takes to clear the rust is a slow drive for a few blocks and a gentle application of the brakes a few times as you are doing it. The rust will come right off.

Brake Roters

Thanks, The rust is not where the pads touch the roter,Its in the center of the roter where the wheel meets the studs

Perhaps someone replaced the rotors on your car before you bought it. Normally the place you are describing is painted.

My Z51 rotors are painted dark gray in that area and are not rusty.

When I had a 2002 Vette I put on the GM performance rotors. They were unpainted and rusted very quickly. The next time I do that I will make sure the area where the rotor and wheel are secured to the hub is painted.

Rotors

Been to three dealers,all saying that they are not under warranty,Ecklers Corvette sell a chrome cover to correct this problem actually look good,or could paint them

Perhaps someone replaced the rotors on your car before you bought it. Normally the place you are describing is painted.

My Z51 rotors are painted dark gray in that area and are not rusty.

When I had a 2002 Vette I put on the GM performance rotors. They were unpainted and rusted very quickly. The next time I do that I will make sure the area where the rotor and wheel are secured to the hub is painted.

The Z51 rotors are cross drilled and the hub section is painted gray from the factory. Earlier C5 rotors were unpainted, I've painted mine on a '99C5 and an 02C5, the gray looks nice with the chrome, my 99 I painted bright silver, the 02 flat black. I think the bright silver was my favorite.

The section of the rotor you guys are talking about is known as "the hat" area. If yours are rusty, I'd remove them and paint them with a high heat/header paint. I would not powdercoat as it would have to be "baked" on.

Medium gray would hide the brake dust best, IMO.

Brake rotors

Thanks for the reply, Next time I have the car on the lift, wheels will come off and rotors get painted (high heat gray)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom