Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Buying Advice

Rogue

Corvette
1991 Turquoise Metallic Coupe
I'm considering upgrading to a C6 and I was hoping to get a few questions answered. Currently looking at either C5 Z06 or C6.

Shopping around, I've narrowed it down to C6's between 2007-2009. Unless I find a deal on 2010's but that's not likely unless it's new. There are so many C6's out there from near new, to high mileage, from dealers to private owners, it's like muddling through a Nevada bordelo....not that I have any experience in that. ;)

Seriously, here are my questions I hope you guys can help answer:

1) There appears to be standard C6's and those with Z51's. However, the Z51 option is not always advertised. How can I tell if a car has the Z51 option?

2) Is the Z51 option a worthwhile option? I mean, is this version that much better than a standard C6?

3) Is there a particular year that I should stay away from? Any notorious issues?

4) How reliable is the 6-speed autobox? I really would like to have the 6-speed manual for simplicity and control. But my wife hates driving a stick :confused so I figure the 6-speed autobox with paddle shift control will give the best of both worlds. However, since I do most of the driving, I should get to choose! She only drives on the freeway anyway when I'm taking a nap! :L I want the manual when I drive in the mountains, which I do often.

Thanks in advance to all.

2010 Grand Sport Roadster's Rule

1. Cross Drilled Rotors

2. Depends on how you drive, do you push it?

3. '08 & up for the LS3

4. 6 Speed auto/paddle shift's are great

L8TR - D

1. Cross Drilled Rotors

L8TR - D

These are also on F55 cars starting 2009 I think. F55 cars will have a rotary switch on the console next to the stability control switch.

Look in the glove compartment for the trim tag on C6's. That will tell you everything the car has on it.

I have a Z51 equipped car. Since I have never owned a base suspension car I can't really compare for you. However, my car is not harsh on bumpy ground but it will ride a bit rougher due to the different spring rate, firmer shocks, and thicker anti-roll bars.

Z51's also have a softer brake pad compound. It dusts up considerably more and is prone to squeaking sometimes but the softer compound is what makes the brakes so good. A car magazine a few years back tried to get the Z51 brakes to fade and they could not.

I'm considering upgrading to a C6 and I was hoping to get a few questions answered. Currently looking at either C5 Z06 or C6.

Shopping around, I've narrowed it down to C6's between 2007-2009. Unless I find a deal on 2010's but that's not likely unless it's new. There are so many C6's out there from near new, to high mileage, from dealers to private owners, it's like muddling through a Nevada bordelo....not that I have any experience in that. ;)

Seriously, here are my questions I hope you guys can help answer:

1) There appears to be standard C6's and those with Z51's. However, the Z51 option is not always advertised. How can I tell if a car has the Z51 option? There is also one other package and it's simply shock control. You can vary dampening rate of the shock. This package is found also in ZR1. It is good. But, as far as getting extra cooling, gear ratios, and beefed up suspension it's Z51 all the way....

2) Is the Z51 option a worthwhile option? I mean, is this version that much better than a standard C6?

3) Is there a particular year that I should stay away from? Any notorious issues?

4) How reliable is the 6-speed autobox? I really would like to have the 6-speed manual for simplicity and control. But my wife hates driving a stick :confused so I figure the 6-speed autobox with paddle shift control will give the best of both worlds. However, since I do most of the driving, I should get to choose! She only drives on the freeway anyway when I'm taking a nap! :L I want the manual when I drive in the mountains, which I do often.

Thanks in advance to all.

Well, you came to the right place to ask your questions.
I have owned two Z51's, one C5 Z51 2004 and the last one was 2009 Z51 Roadster....the C6 was stick.....the Z51 option gives you the following:
1) extra/more cooling
2) quicker gear ratios in MN6 and A6 gears
3) Heavier suspension for better cornering
4) Bigger brakes
The Z51 option on a new Vette cost $1695.00 (new) and was the BEST performance option for a base model C6 Vette model years (MY) 2005-2009. For it's cost you get allot of content and was the 'beef' of available performance for base Vette and not the 'lettuce and tomato" so to speak. You got more for you money getting Z51. Z51 became the Z52 pkg in 2010 and is only available on Grand Sport as it's base pkg. To get better you must go to Z06 or ZR1. From 2010 forward, you cannot get this (Z51) option on base Vettes. Z51 has gone away and became the base components for Grand Sport. Z51 had VERY similiar performance gear that is likened by Z06. IT WAS THE BEST PERF. OPTION AVIALABLE for a base Vette '09 and prior. '09 is last year you could get it. You have to spend allot more money to get that same neat stuff today new.
I traded my '09 Z51 Roadster for a '10 Z06 because I got hooked on power/perf. Z06 is lightest Vette built. Best power to weight ratio. ZR1 is still king though.

If it were me I would get either the C5 Z06 or C6 Z51. (latter has more hp-But BOTH good cars-really-high mileage and no major failures reported) For looks, I have always liked C5's styling because they are a lil longer and sleek. But, I drive C6.....only because I wanted my Vette to be one that I am the only owner....had the C5 for only a short while......the Z51 is the ultimate performance package for a base C6. The LS2 has 400 base hp and LS3 has 430 base horsepower as you probably know. The C5 Z06 has 405 hp. C6 Z06 has over 500 base hp. the ZR1 has has over 600 base hp. So, my advice buy the most you can "comfortably" afford.....don't go 'over-your-head'....you'll be unhappy from day one....Z51 best and most content performance package for base Vette. However, not available after 2009 ModelYear.
Also Z51 has better/bigger brakes which are cross drilled to stay cooler and rotors are bigger front/back. You get more content and more goodies w/Z51 if performance is what you seek. The suspension components liken that of Z06.
In most (not all) C6's there is a data plate with codes on it. It's found in glove box on "most" C6's. However, my '09 did have plate but there were NO codes on it. you can tell by several different ways also....
As far as ride, there is a huge difference in C5 Z51 Vs C6 Z51....the C6 Z51 ride is GREATLY improved......it rides like a non-Z51 C5 does....that much improved....so ride quality NOT factor in C6 Z51....it's that much improved.....tim

was typing this at work today...I was interupted several times . Reason for repeating myself....sorry. Also, I think I am wrong concerning Z52 package in Grand Sport statement above. All other stuff is correct ....I stated it was GS's base pkg and I think Z52 is performance pkg for Grand Sport I believe. Only MN6 Coupes I think...

Black Z51 C6

I'm the original owner of a Black C6 (‘06-2LT) coupe in show room condition w/13k miles, 6-sp., Dual Roof Package, Z51 Performance Pkg (around 6K in options). Just added; Flowmasters, all NEW Chrome Z06 "Spyder" Wheels w/locks / GY (next generation) F1 “Supercar" EMT Run Flat Tires & Air Sensors; installed two weeks ago (+/-10 miles). Haven't told the wife yet but I'm thinking about a new Grand Sport... if you're interested call me for a price @ 315-593-2797 (Marc Sr.).
:v

The Z51 is a great product, as stated earlier. It does come with slightly stickier Goodyear runflat tires. They will wear quicker than the base car because the compound is softer.

When the Z51 was deleted and the GranSport was created (2010) they (GM) dropped the unique brake rotor sizes and went with the Z06 brakes/tires/wheels. (Expect LOTS of brake dust w/Z06 brake paddlets.)

The MXO transmission is good for about 750ft.lbs of torque. It can be tuned via HPTuners. You can change how/when it shifts. GM did this (to some extent) for the 2009MY. The engine will rev~match when using the paddles. It is a good durable transmission. (It does NOT have a drian plug nor filler for routine maintanance.) A "special tool" is needed to service the trans, supposedly.

Rear axle ratio is shorter for performance. Also has a cooler.

Now, on to the engines! (LS2,LS3.)

The 6.0L LS2 (2005-2007) is a very good engine (rated @ 400HP.) If left in relatively stock configuration, it will return many miles and smiles of satisfaction, all while giving 30MPG on the road. It has "church" shaped ports in the heads.

The LS3 gives another 30hp through a displacement bump (6.2L.) The best part about this engine is it's head port shape. It is similar to the LS7 rectangular shaped ports. These heads FLOW very well from the factory! If the intake/exhaust tracts are modified with less restrictive filters/plumbing, this engine REALLY wakes up. (Think Z06 territory with tuning.) Again, durability is good if left unmolested.

Easiest way for me to tell if I'm looking at a Z51 is by looking @ the rear brake rotor diameter. Or, if they're crossdrilled. F55 has changed this recently though.:eyerole

Wow. Thanks for the reply guys. I wasn't expecting so much information but I do appreciate it. August is when I plan to pull the trigger on a replacement Vette for my C4 so I'm still about a month a half away (and counting).

Marc (OZ), if your C6 is still in the market in a month and half I will give you a call. I really want the C6 of course and black is very nice on this car. ;) Do you have any pictures of your car I can view?

Sounds like the Z51 is the way to go if I plan to drive the car hard. Not sure if my driving style can be described as "hard". Under normal circumstances, I drive briskly (never slow). But about once a month I like to drive up in the mountains and canyons of Southern California, away from the congestion of the urban sprawl, and drive my car fast. I wouldn't consider it race-car fast but fast enough to push the car. But I'm talking pushing a C4 so I'm thinking the same pace would be a walk in the park for a C5 z06 or a C6. Whether or not this is enough to justify a Z51 option is up for debate.

Thanks guys.

Black Z51 C6

I haven't told anyone yet that it MAY be for sale so I'm sure it will be. Send your email address to me at mosmun@twcny.rr.com and I'll forward you some pictures of my babies (I'm not sure how to post my pictures here yet).
:v

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom