Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! C6 Console and interior heat issue

lqueral

Corvette
2013 Grand Sport Coupe
Car, if driven in warm weather with no A/C (windows down) gets VERY hot inside around the console area. Known issue, I know. I used a temp gun and got readings above 115 degrees in cupholders. How long do you think an aluminum-canned soda will take before it's warm?!?!. The right leg and right part of driver's seat eventually get very warm as well. This heat occurs after 1+ hour of driving. After researching this issue, I purchased Elite Engineering's Thermal-ABS ceramic coated and heat shielded tunnel plate to replace the OEM 1/8" thick uncoated and unshielded plate. Their site and users report wonderful reduction in heat but I think it's misleading. What their plate has done is delay the time it takes for the temps to rise inside, but eventually too much heat gets through. Now this is the interesting part - If console is baking after a long drive, and I park and idle the car, the readings on my heat gun actually show a DROP in temps at different points, which kinda means that perhaps hot engine heat is coming in above the plate when car is moving, as there's a gap there, and going directly against the underside of interior floor. After the plate installation was done ($400 plate & labor later with the install done by dealer) and considered by me to be ineffective, I explored having a heat shield placed UNDER the carpeting from the inside. Many makers make these kits and I got an estimate from a specialty interior company of about $800-$900 for parts and labor (seats and console would need to be removed). I asked Chevy to assist with this cost and they turned me down and warned that doing this would void my warranty. They firmly told my dealership "Under no circumstances are you to modify the car". I'm disappointed but can understand their position, actually. As the car has 2.5 years to go for warranty, this is then not an option. I've been researching heat wrap tape to put on the pipes, but have encountered info that warns of downsides to this approach, affecting the longevity of the exhaust pipes that would be wrapped. My points are that one should not consider the Thermal-abs tunnel plate from Elite as the "cure-all" for their interior heat issues, be careful about using the heat wrap tape, and don't give Chevrolet any reasons to void your warranties, if they still exist. The GOOD news - running with windows closed AND the air-conditioning on greatly reduced thermal discomfort...but at the expense of not driving around on cooler days with windows down, which I like to do when possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting - we drove to NH this past weekend and we got to a point where I would have sworn the heater was on. Thankfully this car has air conditioning (LT-1 didn't) and we were able to keep cool. I was surprised at how hot it got - I wasn't expecting that out of a new vette.

I installed the same Elite Engineering insulated close-out plate on my 12 coupe. I ordered it from Zip Products

My problem was heat in the center console box and from the side of the console when driving not after a hot soak. Admittedly this is a problem with virtually all C6es but, in my opinion, it's worse with 12s and 13s because of the extra set of cats which are under the front of the tunnel/console. Cat converters are very hot and are big heat sinks.

I took and recorded IR thermometer readings before the installation. Then I pulled the exhaust, installed the close-out plate, reinstalled the exhaust then went for a road test over the same route I used before the installation. After about the same length of drive, I stopped at the same parking lot and took measurements, again.

The temperatures in and around the console were reduced by about 20°F. I think that's a noticeable improvement. For more information, see a CAC product review at:
Driveline Tunnel Plate - Corvette Product Reviews

In my opinion the Elite close-out plate is effective but, perhaps, not to the extent that some people might expecting. I'll add that, I was satisfied with the temperature reduction I got from it. The price was reasonable and the work involved in installing it was not difficult.

I'm also looking at additional measures. My next step will be to wrap the exhaust system from the front set of cats back to the rear suspension with DEI Exhaust Wrap. I've done that with other Corvettes and noted a decrease in temperature.

After reading the OP on this thread, one comment I have is that, in a heat soak situation, just about anything measure you take that's practical to reduce heat transfer into the interior will become less effective over time. That is, whether it's an insulated close-out plate, insulation under the carpet or exhaust wrap, those strategies are delay actions when the car is sitting rather than moving through the air.

Once the car starts moving and the rate at which it gives off heat to airflow exceeds the rate at which it absorbs heat from the engine or the exhaust, the interior temp will go down. Insulating, whether it's the close-out plate, exhaust wrap or insulation under the carpet will slow heat transfer into the interior so more of the heat will be absorbed by undercar airflow or gas flow through the exhaust system.

Interestingly, C7 is using product called aerogel, as insulation for the tunnel and console. It's been described as a far more efficient insulation material. Hopefully the automotive aftermarket will eventually market a version of this product which could be used in a retrofit application.

I have had my 2010 Grand Sport for just under a year and cannot say I have noticed any undue heat coming from the console area. I have been windows down with no air Putting around town and windows up with air and without on long trips and have noticed no difference. My car has the Corsa Cat back exhaust with the X pipe. I am tall and my right leg will rest on the console comfortably on long trips and I have not had any heat discomfort that I can recall. It must be what Hib noted that the newer cars have a different set up on the cats.........just my 2 cents worth.....

I haven't noticed a problem either.

wrap

>I'm also looking at additional measures. My next step will be to wrap the exhaust system from the front set of cats back to the rear suspension with DEI Exhaust Wrap. I've done that with other Corvettes and noted a decrease in temperature.<

In my research on wraps, I'm finding the DEI Titanium wrap to be maybe my best choice. It's rated a couple hundred degrees higher than most tapes. Downsides appear to be a reported "fraying" at the ends (I kinda think that's normal for such a product). One guy recommends running a stip of super glue along where you cut. Glue soaks in, hardens, then you cut along the line of glue. Also finding some different opinions on the mode of clamping ends of tape. Many say just to overwrap couple of times at the beginning of your run and then only clamping the end. My dealer says he will put this on for me, with me watching, for "no charge". I know owners of this dealership, we've done a lot of business with them, and they treat me like royalty. They were the ones that put on the THermal-ABS plate for what I thought was a real reasonable fee. They want to help, even though Chevy has limited what they can do. To clarify, I'm not dissatisfied with the tunnel plate, merely saying it's not the "final" fix. I am perplexed, though, that some of our group don't experience the heat. I think somehow sealing the front of that plate as much as possible might be worth investigating. I haven't looked under there, and am looking forward to having the car up on a lift so I can see just what we have there.

Mine is stock to the Cats and then Corsa from there back......Mine has one set of cats if I recall......and they hook right on the end of the exhaust headers...not way under like these pics show.....

Last edited:
heat

I too installed a (Elite Engineering insulated close-out plate) on my 06A6 prochargered vette. I did notice a cooler

tunnel. That was 3 cars ago :)

Installed a thermal abs tunnel plate on our 12GS. Have not hd it on long but so far it seems to reduce heat by feel about 30 or 40 percent.

dei

I'm also looking at additional measures. My next step will be to wrap the exhaust system from the front set of cats back to the rear suspension with DEI Exhaust Wrap. I've done that with other Corvettes and noted a decrease in temperature..[/QUOTE]

I just got 2 rolls of DEI Titanium (25'x2") heat wrap and hope to have it on in about a week. I bought the DEI stainless clamps, but after reading less-than-stellar reviews also got 4 stainless screw clamps that accomodate the 3" pipes in the NPP exhaust. I hope to be able to give this setup a good review after I try it out. Stay tuned.

Same situation on my C5

I have a 2000 convertible and a 2013 coupe. The 2000 definitely has the heat problem. On a road trip the other day, I did not notice it on the 2013. My 2013 is one of the last produced and I am beginning to suspect that mine has some C7 experiments installed.

heat

I have a 2000 convertible and a 2013 coupe. The 2000 definitely has the heat problem. On a road trip the other day, I did not notice it on the 2013. My 2013 is one of the last produced and I am beginning to suspect that mine has some C7 experiments installed.

Remember, when you run air conditioning, problem is reduced about 50%. High heat comes after about 1 hour of driving in warm weather without the A/C. I really don't think they are experimenting with C7 technology at end of 13 run, but who knows. I'm taking car to dealer tomorrow Wednesday to get the heat wrap tape put on under there.

Remember, when you run air conditioning, problem is reduced about 50%. High heat comes after about 1 hour of driving in warm weather without the A/C. I really don't think they are experimenting with C7 technology at end of 13 run, but who knows. I'm taking car to dealer tomorrow Wednesday to get the heat wrap tape put on under there.

Took about a 5 hour ride last weekend. Temps were between 85 and 94 most of the time. We had the air on but you can tell quite a difference in the heat getting to your leg against the center tunnel. Definately better with the thermal abs tunnel plate, maybe more like 50 percent than the 30-40 I said before.

Update

Took car to dealer today to get the heat wrap tape put on pipes underneath, and....I suspected this...the dealer put the Elite Engineering Thermal Abs plate UPSIDE DOWN!!!! The heat shield pad was above the plate instead of towards the ground. I kinda suspected this, as everyone else that has this plate says things are much better, while I didn't really feel that way. I took service mgr. to a computer, went to Elite's website, and brought up the installation instructions. It even has IN RED INK, the part about the thermal pad towards the bottom. THe original tech must not have read the instructions, which he WAS given. Needless to say, this issue was corrected and we taped up pipes back from behind the rear cats about 3 feet. Hib, if you're out there - do you think the rear cats can be taped? That would be trapping a lot of heat. I was sure all this was gonna be the cure, but not quite. I left the dealership and went for an hour-and-a-half drive, windows down, no A/C, and the side of console on driver's side and even the right edge of driver's seat got quite toasty. I had shorts on and it got kinda uncomfortable. Better than before but still quite warm - warmer on driver's side than passenger's side, mysteriously. I think that taping the rear cats might be beneficial and the Dynamat treatment to floor under the carpet in the passenger compartment would likely be the final cure, but that will have to wait until the car's warranty expires. Any thoughts, guys? Hib? Again, I put on the A/C towards end of drive - with windows down - and it made little difference, but with A/C on with windows closed, it really improved things. But as I said before, I like to drive windows down to get the full audio from the NPP exhaust (I have it switched).

Update # 2

Spoke with engineer from DEI, the company that makes the Titanium heat wrap tape and he advises AGAINST wrapping the rear cats. So the only thin left to do is the Dynamat treatment under the carpeting and console, and that will have to wait until warranty expires. Since it's pretty hot now that we're almost in July, I drive around with windows up, and the center-right A/C duct aimed down at the console. This is about a 75% solution.

I went to Lowes and bought several rolls of Peel-n-seal and pulled the carpet up even behind the seats and installed it,it did wonders I even made one of these to go in the console
image001_zpsee5f0942.jpg

Lowe's

I went to Lowes and bought several rolls of Peel-n-seal and pulled the carpet up even behind the seats and installed it, it did
I'm reading reviews that this stuff doesn't like a lot of heat and it tends to smell a bit when hot. Have you noticed any of this? The material is shiny on top, no? Your console cut out looks black. Can you explain a bit better? To what lengths did you go to pull back carpeting? Did you actually put this stuff UNDER the console? How far down from console did you get? Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to know a bit more before considering this option. Thanks in advance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom