Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 hail damage experience

SpryGeezer

Corvette
2007 A6 VY coupe, 1996 Subaru Impreza green sedan
What size hailstones will damage a parked C6 paint and plastic? Assuming no wind or light wind and also assuming a high wind say a 50-60 mph wind.
How about the windshield and rear window?
Has a C6 been pummeled sufficiently by the weather to damage paint, plastic or glass?.

I have read that the Vette's body is more forgiving of hail than a regular metal car's body. However, the problem is the nearly flat surfaces of the windsheild and hatch that were susceptible.

Hail

The thing about composite materials is that they don't bend, as do metals. There is some flex to the material but doesn't deform like steel. I believe that chipping the composite matrix would take a LARGE chunk of hail. Having said that, I worry like hell when I'm at work and the weather alert hits the airwaves. I suppose damage to the paint could still occur, chipping etc.

Haven't found out yet but our 06 is a daily driver in Oklahoma, we'll find out sooner or later.

Back in 2004, hail did a number on our CTS-V.

This may offer some piece of mind. Some years back a hail storm hit this area that caused widespread damage. The damage was to autos along with houses. The 86 was out in this storm, and didn't take any damage. The other cars in the lot did receive dings.

I came out of a motel one morning in Nebraska many years ago, and my C4 was the only car in the lot not damaged by hail. Every other car was dinged all over the sheet metal. There was no glass damage to any of them.:ugh

I would think it is pretty forgiving. Got caught in the '76 in hail. No damage. The new frp is better than the old fiberglass.

i have been caught in a hail storms with 2 of my C-05s with no damage. by the way this was in bowling green at a NCM event. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom