Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Out in 2006?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From Motortrend.com

2005 Chevrolet Corvette: An evolution of the C5's chassis will be the basis for the C6. Base engine is rumored to be a Gen IV 6.0-liter/400-horsepower V-8 with displacement on demand. If the Camaro is bumped from the Chevrolet lineup, the Corvette range could be expanded to include a less-costly, less-powerful variation without all the high-end gadgetry. The "heritage" buzz around Detroit may lead to a more Baby Boomer friendly design than the C5. At the very least, there should be some dreamy concept cars at future auto shows. The C6 has been bumped back a few months, requiring a model year change to 2006, to accommodate Bob Lutz-mandated refinements.

The delay is not too much of a surprise considering Corvette's history of pushing back deadlines. Though, I'd much rather wait a few more years to get the best Corvette possible than get a substanard version on the original timeline.

Jason

I see no problems with moving the date back because it will make the C6 a perfect machine.

I'm sure that GM will definitely want to get the C6 right because with every generation, the Corvette has become an even bigger success. It would be corporate suicide to rush out with a sub par C6 vehicle.

The current official word from GM is that the C6 has been pushed back from Fall 2003 to Late Spring 2004 (as a 2005 model.)

Of course, that could change in the future.

No Its a 2005. I have this confirmed. Unless something ugly happens.

My inside info is that the C6 will be out in Jan. 2005 as a 2004 model. I was told that the Coupe & Vert will be 405hp and the Z06 or Z07 will have 450hp. The frame will be alluminum and the Z will be a sub. 2800lb car.

Rick Daniel said:
the Z will be a sub. 2800lb car.

Oh no, does that mean no air conditioning?:L :L :L

The aluminium frame is now out. GM could not get it ready in time. It may come to play later on in the C6 model run.

According to Harlan Charles - Asst. Brand Manager/Corvette, the 2004 Corvette will be a C5.

_ken :w

C6 and Beyond?

I, too, have heard that the C5 will continue into the 2004 model year, but not necessarily for the usual model year production run. If the overall economy improves, I am told there is still a slim chance for the C6 debut some where around the March 2005 timeframe or possibly a little earlier...kind of like a 2004 1/2 model.

From what I understand (and it makes sense), things like 0% financing, the 1-2-3 incentive program, super low interest rates, lease buyouts, other incentives, and the general downturn in the economy kind of depleted the budget for some programs.

I don't know why I'm including this: From what I read yesterday, the GTO program is pushed out to the end of CY 2003, and will appear as a 2004 model. The article I read (I honestly don't know where I read it) says that it will be powered by the "less powerful" Corvette 5.7L. Hmm.... I mean, it already shares a Corvette color, Quicksilver, so why not the power plant, too. If you haven't seen a Holden Monaro, which is what the GTO is based on, take a look if you like: http://www.holden.com.au/app/serve?page=monaroEntry.

I do know why I included that: The other day, I read about the creation of the GM Performance Division, which will touch Pontiac, Chevrolet and Cadillac one-offs, and probably short production runs...kind of like Ford's SVT division. I wonder just how much differentiation there will be in the performance and features of the products of this division that are available for sale to the general public. Or, will they be focusing on creating halo products for GM that may or may not be generally available?

What do you think?

I sure am happy that I really like my '01 Coupe :).

- Gene :w

Re: C6 and Beyond?

Colorado said:
I do know why I included that: The other day, I read about the creation of the GM Performance Division, which will touch Pontiac, Chevrolet and Cadillac one-offs, and probably short production runs...kind of like Ford's SVT division. I wonder just how much differentiation there will be in the performance and features of the products of this division that are available for sale to the general public. Or, will they be focusing on creating halo products for GM that may or may not be generally available?
sure am happy that I really like my '01 Coupe :).

- Gene :w

I think that line will be extremely successful, but it should've come earlier. If it came earlier, we probably could've avoided the demise of the F-bodies. Let's face it, the Mustang murdered the F-bodies.

Why should GM guys have to get their cars tuned and tested after they buy it? Why can't GM guys buy their cars already tuned like Fords SVT line?

It's all about support and Ford came out/is still coming out with excellent Mustangs under the SVT badge. As a Corvette lover, I hate to say that, but it's true!

sorry to get a bit off topic, but the 6 cyl. mustang is what killed the F Body cars... the 6 cyl mustang kills the 6 cyl F body cars, and the 6 cyl cars make up 8 of 10 F body's... Basically the 6 cyl pony cars is where the real money is at for the auto makers... they manage to sell them by having the likeness of their bad boy V-8 powered brother

Not until 2005? Waaaaaaaaaah. I wanted to trade in my C5 for a 50th anniversay model then saw what they did to that (wine colored? I've already owned 2 similar color cars ... '74 Z28 Camaro, '86.5 Toyota Supra). Then I hear that the C6 is just around the corner in 2003. Yeah, I can wait another year. Now? I repeat... waaaaaaaaaahh.

*sniff* Hmmm, maybe I'll got check out the prices of used Z06s (too bad they only come in hard top). I'd really like a stick (C5 is auto, GS is a stick but it rains a lot down here this time of year).

Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the forum, I've been reading your posts for ages now and though it about time I joined. I'm saving big time for an EB Z06. I'm from the Sutherland Shire (south of Sydney, NSW Australia). I have already purchased the Licence Plate Number "Z06" which oh yes will be going on my EB Z when I get it.

Gaming Glen,

You can get the Z06 made into a Convertible, Targa, or Removable Hardtop check out;
http://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/

Sure to be speaking to you all soon,

Adz

Adz,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. :)

Rick Daniel said:
My inside info is that the C6 will be out in Jan. 2005 as a 2004 model. I was told that the Coupe & Vert will be 405hp and the Z06 or Z07 will have 450hp. The frame will be alluminum and the Z will be a sub. 2800lb car.

damn that thing's gonna fly down the street

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom