Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 rotors

D

Dragonslayer

Just a question. Why can't they put the same size rotors and calipers on both the front and the back of the C6. Is there a logical reason why the back rotors and calipers are smaller. I would think with a 50/50 weight ratio, they could be the same. Please advise. Thank You.

;help

75% of the braking is done by the front brakes because of weight transfer so you need more brake area than the rear.

uhhhhhhh, yeah. Let's use english Bro'.

anyway, in LAYMAN's terms......

What happens when your riding a bike and you squeeze hard on the rear brakes. . . .you skid.
What happens when you squeeze hard on the front brakes. . .
you stop quickly and flip over the front handlebars.

The same thing happens in a car, You always need front brakes more than you need rear brakes.

Don't listen to those other guys because they're just trying to sound smart (just teasin' guys). Weight transfer doesn't matter because if that were true than Porsche 911's would have bigger brakes in the back.

I'm just glad it doesn't have drum brakes out back like my POS Volvo.

budweisert said:

Don't listen to those other guys because they're just trying to sound smart (just teasin' guys). Weight transfer doesn't matter because if that were true than Porsche 911's would have bigger brakes in the back.

All this did was show that you don't understand what weight transfer means. ;)

Leon

That's why performance cars have bigger rear tires. It provides a bigger contact patch when the car accelerates and the weight goes to the rear tires. The work being done is the friction of the rear tires and the ground.

It's the opposite when coming to a stop. The weight will go to the front and therefore, you need bigger front rotors. You need more friction to stop that vehicle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom