Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Side Exhaust Option?

Would you include side exhaust on your C6 Corvette if you could?

• Yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
In the late 1960s, side exhaust was an option for Corvettes.

Assuming that the problems attributed with side exhaust (such as the loss of burned skin off your calf in some Dodge Viper models) could be eliminated, and you had the ability to include this option when ordering a new C6, would you include it?

Why or why not?

This is a no brainer. This would be on the top of my list.

I've always loved it , especially on the early sharks ! Definately YES ! Cliff

side exhaust no question about it. Would definatly have makes it look and sound better. :)

Loved the looks and sound on the 67 big block.
As stated above a no brainer. :)

A qualified yes......

if they are not any louder than the rear exhaust. I too am a big fan of the side exhaust on the early sharks, but have never ridden in one with the exhaust that close to one's ear.

It's hard enough carrying on a conversation or listening to the stereo in a roadster as it is without adding to the noise.........at least that's what my wife Tammy says when we're out cruising. Heck, I've never had a problem hearing the stereo :L

That option would definately be test drive material
Maybe you need a maybe in the poll too :eyerole

Brett

Definitly! Something similar to the "side-effects" that Ken had on his C4 would look great.

klb

Of course I'd like to see it as an option!

Although I do feel bad that I had to get rid of mine. :(

I went back under the car with three-inch duals because the Side Effects were a little restrictive to my higher output engine. They worked fine with the stock L-98 but not with a mucho-horsepower engine. ;)

_ken :w

Ken have you dynoed it yet? just curious how much you picked up :D

sidepipes?.......Ya baby.They could be part of a special super duper package that would blow Vipers away!I'm sure Callaway can help them out here!

Guess I am in the minority here. I loved the looks of them on the early cars but don't think they have any place on the "aero" bodies of today.

tom...

Won't happen. The exhaust goes in about the only place it can with the smooth pan layout the 'vette uses to it's aero advantage.

Yes and No ...

I would vote a "yes" and a "no" on side exhaust. I test drove a two year old '67 with side exhaust, and to me it was fun but way too loud. Also, for me, ground clearance is a problem in that I scrape the front spoiler just getting into my driveway. Some people do like the sound, though, and they do look good, so I would say that this would be a possibly viable option.

If I might comment on styling treatement, I would opt for the brushed aluminum/black rocker panels that we had back then. If there is a way to integrate that into a new body style, I think it lends some individuality to the profile without the side exhaust.

Had a 66 with side exhausts .... would order it in a nano second...
66vettec.jpg

C6 Sidepipes

After some deliberation I ended up voting no.

For the eye candy and heritage factor, it just can't be beat, but aero and HP wise, an out the back exhaust is the way to go.

A properly designed true dual exhaust with an H or X pipe can make more power than a side pipe exhaust due to scavenging effects.

That said, I ended up putting side pipes on my '69 anyways :D But for a modern C6, keeping it out the back is the way to go.

CYa!
Mako

I think a side exhaust option would be great if done properly. I think the way Rousch integrates the side exhaust on their Mustang or even the new Dodge Viper would make a nice addition. Most people don't drive their cars, even Corvettes, to the point where having a little extra drag would be a terrible hindrance. The point is most likely moot anyway as we can't even get GM to do anything as daring as adding orange back into the color pallet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom